Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

hybrid campers in National parks

are there any restrictions on hybrid campers in some of our National Parks? We have a Shamrock 23SS and wife wants to go out west to Yellowstone and other parks out there, plus down to the Smokeys
rdkemmerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #2

not sure what makes you think there would be. Maybe I'm missing something I don't know of
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #3

Bears? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #4

Yeah, bears. Look up the CG info in Yellowstone. I know for sure one or two do not allow soft sided campers.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Bears? Youroo!!
that's all I could think of
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Yeah, bears. Look up the CG info in Yellowstone. I know for sure one or two do not allow soft sided campers.
The only Federal owned campground that does not allow soft sides @ Yellowstone is Fishing Bridge "RV Park" and it does not have anything to do with bears despite what the contractor who leases the place from the NPS will tell you, Xanterra. You can not have popups and hybrids in among the TT's, 5'rs, and MH's using the full hook up sites in the "RV Park" oh my!

Don't believe the bear BS they post on the Xanterra website. They also manage Bridge Bay campground which is less than 4 miles from Fishing Bridge, and no bear issue there, bring a tent. Hang a pork chop around your neck. Xanterra told the bears not to not cross the Yellowstone river because people have canvas at Bridge Bay.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
The only Federal owned campground that does not allow soft sides @ Yellowstone is Fishing Bridge "RV Park" and it does not have anything to do with bears despite what the contractor who leases the place from the NPS will tell you, Xanterra. You can not have popups and hybrids in among the TT's, 5'rs, and MH's using the full hook up sites in the "RV Park" oh my!

Don't believe the bear BS they post on the Xanterra website. They also manage Bridge Bay campground which is less than 4 miles from Fishing Bridge, and no bear issue there, bring a tent. Hang a pork chop around your neck. Xanterra told the bears not to not cross the Yellowstone river because people have canvas at Bridge Bay.
x2! Totally agree. They want to keep Fishing Bridge for the big RVs that want hookups.

Many out there assume that because Fishing Bridge has this ban, all the other campgrounds in YNP do too.
They don't.
Madison, Bridge Bay, Grant, Canyon and Mammoth all allow soft-sded campers

I've put a challenge out to many out there, to post other public campgrounds (that a RV can fit in) that have a similar permanent ban.
So far, after 10 years on various RV forums, only Fishing Bridge has been mentioned.

And if you "turtle" in your hybrid, you can stay at Fishing Bridge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #8

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklo...dging/camping/
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I have been to Yellowstone several times; tenting, pop-up and hybrid (and may get there with my Motorhome this summer). The general rule is if a bear can get in easily (soft sides) no food is permitted inside the camper. This is for your safety as well as the bears. If a bear gets into your camper and eats then he will start attacking more campers, at this point the park must kill the bear.

Read about food here: http://www.yellowstonenationalparklo...ge-campground/

Food should be kept out of site from bears, in many parks they recognize coolers so they should be kept in the trunk or covered. When cooking outside always stay near your food. Leaving food outside unattended will again allow the bear to become accustomed to eating human food which will force the park rangers into killing the bear. PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN, the parks are for the bears and other wildlife as much as they are for us.

Our hybrid in Yellowstone: DCP_1431 by cdrdwd, on Flickr

On this trip we saw a bear in the campground 3 nights out of a 5 night stay.

Sorry to sound preachy about protecting the bears, but I want my great grand children to see them in the wild (and I don't have a grandchild yet).
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #10
rbq

Have camped for years in Yellowstone in tent, pup & now a hybrid. Only restriction is at Fishing Bridge. Haven't ever had a problem with bears, except at Bridge Bay where we stayed once. We had come back to our PUP for a rest & I was several rangers drive through the camp & stop around the corner from us. Got up & asked them what was going on. Said a bear had walked through the campground & wanted to make sure he kept moving. He did & nothing else about it. The rangers patrol the campgrounds in the evening to make sure coolers, stoves & food have been properly stored for the night. Keep doing this & the bears aren't a problem. Only bears I have seen in the park have been well off of the road eating the wild stuff on the hillsides or a grizzly on an elk kill. Get out there & make your reservation for the campground of your choice at Yellowstone. Great place to camp & the facilities are well cared for & clean. My preference has been at Madison, but would like to try Canyon next time I go.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
rbq

Another note is if you want to see what the campgrounds are like you can go to youtube & search for the specific campground & you can see videos of drive throughs that have been posted there.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #12

I agree with NoviBill. I live in the Mammoth Lakes area surrounded by campgrounds. The Bears know well to prowl the campgrounds and "dumpster dive" the condos in town, over the other areas. All the campgrounds have bear lockers to lock up your food. Don't leave any kind of food in your car/truck. I have friends whose cars have been broken into over dog treats or the smell of gum.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
From the national park site for Yellowstone:
Food At Your Campground

Please note that odors attract bears. The following items (new, clean, dirty, empty or full) may NOT be left outside, in tents, or in tent trailers at any time, day or night. Items listed below need to be stored in a hard sided vehicle or in shared food storage boxed located throughout our campgrounds when not in use. A violation of these rules may result in a citation and/or confiscation of these items. The bears’ future and the safety of others depend on you.
  • Water containers
  • Cooking utensils
  • Eating utensils
  • Drinking utensils
  • Stoves
  • Beverage containers
  • Grills
  • Coolers
  • Ice chests
  • Trash or trash bags (in the site or fire pit)
  • Food
  • Cosmetics
  • Toiletries
  • Pet food
  • Pet food bowls
  • Pet water bowls
  • Pails
  • Buckets
  • Wash basins
  • Any item with food odor
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #14
I Break Everything

Fishing Bridge at Yellowstone did not allow any "tent" type pop ups/outs when we were there. That was bout 4-5 years ago. Bison wandered in and out of our campground, and a bear did too but it wasn't close to our site.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #15

I know of campgrounds in Teton, next to Yellowstone, where no soft sides are allowed because of BEARS; Grizzly Bears. There are now 700+ Grizzly Bears in Northwest Wyoming. There are also a few less people because the bears ate them; so I guess it all evens out. You really should use Bear Bells, carry Bear spray when camping/hiking. A .44 magnum is not a bad idea either.
Waynedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedeer View Post
I know of campgrounds in Teton, next to Yellowstone, where no soft sides are allowed because of BEARS; Grizzly Bears. There are now 700+ Grizzly Bears in Northwest Wyoming. There are also a few less people because the bears ate them; so I guess it all evens out. You really should use Bear Bells, carry Bear spray when camping/hiking. A .44 magnum is not a bad idea either.
Please name these campgrounds. And will they fit 20'+ RVs?
We stayed at Colter Bay CG, at the Tetons and there were hybrids, popups and tents there.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #17

It only took 1 day for this thread which started with a simple question, to turn into the dont feed the bears and what campground does not allow canvas heresay thread. Over the years in many other forums this same question has always developed into the same load of bull. Its not unlike diesel trucks and tires lol. Again I jumped into a thread I shouldn't have and now wish I ignored it lol. As you said Dan, many people say they know of all these campgrounds that limit people to hardsides due to bears, but I have yet to see them name the campground either. Fantasy Park maybe.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #18

I have tent camped over many years in the Sierras and Rockies where there were active bear populations. The only time I heard of bears attacking a tent was when the people kept food inside of it. Likewise the bears didn't stay in a campsite if they could not get easy access to food. There were bears that learned to look in vehicles for coolers and would break the windows in the saw them. If you kept your food in the provided steel food box or hidden in the car I never saw a bear spend much time trying to get it as there was easier fare elsewhere. I suspect the YS restriction has less to do with bears as being a more diplomatic way to restrict RV's that don't have or wouldn't utilize use full hookups. It's a lot easier and less offensive to say we are concerned about bears than to say your pop-up doesn't need all of the hookups and fully loaded RV will so go somewhere else. It also makes it easy from the management standpoint of not having to know which trailer models have hookups and which don't.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #19

Brooks Lake
Waynedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedeer View Post
Brooks Lake
Thanks for answering my question.
Though its location, only 13 sites and at 9200ft., I doubt many will include it in their camping plans.
Way different than than something like Yellowstone or Yosemite NPs.

Tags
camper, hybrid