Old 02-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #1

hybrid or not?

So much to consider... we thought we were going to go with the shamrock 23ikss but are now starting to rethink because of the canvas bed pop outs and the sound issues. One, we have a 2 year old and are worried everyone camping around us will hear him if he decides to have a fit or get sad. Two, we like winding down at night to a movie so is everyone going to hear if we are watching TV at 10:00 at night? Any experience to set us at ease or change our minds? Thanks!

Old 02-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #2

We had a pop up for 17 years and now are ready to move to another type of trailer. We did consider a hybrid as you have so much open space with the ends popped out, but we decided that we had enough of the canvas pop out and not wanting to deal with the set up and take down. We also considered a rear slide out but personally am tired of climbing up into the sleeping area and wanted more ease in making the bed. If it is noise that you are trying to limit, then you may wish to consider a small travel trailer unless you really like to hear the outside noises at night and early morning. Good luck on your decision-we had a regular pop up when our children were roughly 5 years old and now they are young adults and they/we did fine with it. Enjoy

Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #3

We usually let the kids watch a movie while the adults sit around the fire. We can't hear the tv outside when its at a reasonable volume. We also have left the stereo on at night without it being heard in the next campsite.

We camped with our son when he was 2 in our popup. Won't say he was never heard ny the neighbors, but it wasn't a huge issue.

We loved our popup, so the tent ends was a natural for us. We also looked at some bunkhouse plans, but the bunks tended to be pretty short in a lot cases and be preferred the 2 queen beds as the kids got bigger, or when we have family camping with us.

Look at how much you can tow and what you want to spend and compare the options. There are tons of choices out there.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

watching tv won't be that much of an issue since you won't have the tv in the bunk end. the walls of the hybrid would absorb a lot of the sound, more than the canvas walls of a popup. we also like watching tv late at night with our hybrid and it's not an issue.
and people sleep in tents/popups/hybrids with little kids all the time, so that's not so unusual for a crying kid to be heard. i think it's not that big of a deal.

but a tt that would have room for the two of you and two teenagers and a two year-old, would probably require a bunkhouse model. which would be way longer and heavier than a hybrid.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:21 PM   #5

We too just traded our pop up and was thinking of the 23ikss also. Our two issues was that they were hard to find on the west coast to look at and we found ourselves changing camping plans all the time due to the high winds in our area. Went with a 28' bunkhouse instead cause our teenage daughter would usually bring a friend and we could still tow comfortably. Also fell in love with our dark espresso cabinets and the bathroom with its own outside door!

Probably the question to ask yourself- will this be the last trailer I buy or will I need to upgrade in 3-6 years?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #6

Like others have stated, you have to like the tent feeling, and you have to realize that set-up takes some time.

The Roo 233s is our first RV purchase and I still like the feeling, but I do not like the set-up and take down. It is time consuming. Sometimes I go by myself or with just my daughter and it is a process to get the trailer ready once I get to the site. It would be nice to park it, set the chocks and awning and be done. I do love the floor space and the extra beds. Just do not like folding the beds every time I want to move.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlygibbs View Post
Like others have stated, you have to like the tent feeling, and you have to realize that set-up takes some time.

The Roo 233s is our first RV purchase and I still like the feeling, but I do not like the set-up and take down. It is time consuming. Sometimes I go by myself or with just my daughter and it is a process to get the trailer ready once I get to the site. It would be nice to park it, set the chocks and awning and be done. I do love the floor space and the extra beds. Just do not like folding the beds every time I want to move.
Compared to our popup the hybrid is lighting fast to setup. We use a thin foam matress pad, so the pad, the sheets, and matress all fold up together with the bar sandwiched inside. Setup is drop the door, push the pole up, put the blanket & pillows on. Its only 2-3 minutes per end. And we made several one night stops this summer and fortunately the front bunk end will come all the way down while still hooked up to the truck. Made for super quick setup.

Taking the beds down and folding up is not quite as fast, but still not bad. Just depends on your perspective. Its so much less work than a tent or a popup, but still more involved than a regular travel trailer.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #8

We had also noticed with the sleeping area (pop outs) that for the most models -at least the one we saw or researched, that you needed to climb over your sleeping partner to get to your spot. On our 1993 Flagstaff pop up we both climbed straight in with our heads facing the back window and feet facing inside. No need to climb over someone vs what we have been seeing with the newer models of hybrids. We certainly don't regret having the pop up as you can see as we used it for 17 years. We are just ready to move on and up
Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
cogito ergo moo

It really boils down to "do you like sleeping under canvas?" I had a class A, a Pop up and a hybrid, and I found I really enjoy the feeling of sleeping under the canvas. It 'feels' more like camping to me than sleeping in a fiberglass box. I can hear the leaves rustle in the trees. On cool nights, I leave the flaps open and rejoice in the heated mattress. True, I have been woken up by barking dogs, and the occasional rude crow, but that's small potatoes to the benefits.

I discount the argument of "it takes extra time to set up". For me, I unlatch the bunk and swing it down. I go inside and unsnap the mattress straps and install the Shepard's pole. That's it. No more than minute or two at the most. It takes me longer to jack the tongue up off the hitch than it does to deploy the beds. Anyone who says that setting up in a modern hybrid is time consuming probably has never done it.

Some people prefer to be insulated from the outdoors when they sleep. If so, the hybrid is not for them. But for me, nothing maximizes the price/space/comfort/convenience curve like a hybrid.

Tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
Site Team

hybrid or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyingaj View Post
So much to consider... we thought we were going to go with the shamrock 23ikss but are now starting to rethink because of the canvas bed pop outs and the sound issues. One, we have a 2 year old and are worried everyone camping around us will hear him if he decides to have a fit or get sad. Two, we like winding down at night to a movie so is everyone going to hear if we are watching TV at 10:00 at night? Any experience to set us at ease or change our minds? Thanks!

Two pieces of advise from someone who camped last year with a 2 and 3 year old:

1) Canvas or not, when they throw a fit, people will hear them. TT aren't much better at soundproofing tantrums.

2) One of the things that steered us away from hybrids was the kids using the support pole for the canvas as a set of monkey bars. At 2 and 3 it was just the right height for them to hang from and swing back and forth while we're trying to talk to the dealer.

If you're looking at the 23ikss, have you considered the 25rs? Both have the side slide for extra room, but the later lacks canvas. And based on a quick look at the FR website, both come in around the same dry weight.

Or, you can do like we did and step up to a fullsize TT. My Flagstaff 29QBSS is only 1000 lbs or so heavier than the hybrids/Rear Slides we were looking at and is well within my 1/2 ton's towing ability.

Edit: I almost forgot one other point regarding the movie watching. Don't make the mistake I have on occasion and forget to turn the outside speakers off. One morning we put a DVD on for the kids since it was raining out and I didn't feel like going outside with them. When I went to let the dog out about 1/2 way through the movie I realized we left the outside speakers on the night before and were blaring The Little Mermaid to the whole campground.

Tags
hybrid