Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #1

hybrid or not?

So much to consider... we thought we were going to go with the shamrock 23ikss but are now starting to rethink because of the canvas bed pop outs and the sound issues. One, we have a 2 year old and are worried everyone camping around us will hear him if he decides to have a fit or get sad. Two, we like winding down at night to a movie so is everyone going to hear if we are watching TV at 10:00 at night? Any experience to set us at ease or change our minds? Thanks!
heyingaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #2

We had a pop up for 17 years and now are ready to move to another type of trailer. We did consider a hybrid as you have so much open space with the ends popped out, but we decided that we had enough of the canvas pop out and not wanting to deal with the set up and take down. We also considered a rear slide out but personally am tired of climbing up into the sleeping area and wanted more ease in making the bed. If it is noise that you are trying to limit, then you may wish to consider a small travel trailer unless you really like to hear the outside noises at night and early morning. Good luck on your decision-we had a regular pop up when our children were roughly 5 years old and now they are young adults and they/we did fine with it. Enjoy
PTLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #3

We usually let the kids watch a movie while the adults sit around the fire. We can't hear the tv outside when its at a reasonable volume. We also have left the stereo on at night without it being heard in the next campsite.

We camped with our son when he was 2 in our popup. Won't say he was never heard ny the neighbors, but it wasn't a huge issue.

We loved our popup, so the tent ends was a natural for us. We also looked at some bunkhouse plans, but the bunks tended to be pretty short in a lot cases and be preferred the 2 queen beds as the kids got bigger, or when we have family camping with us.

Look at how much you can tow and what you want to spend and compare the options. There are tons of choices out there.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Site Team

watching tv won't be that much of an issue since you won't have the tv in the bunk end. the walls of the hybrid would absorb a lot of the sound, more than the canvas walls of a popup. we also like watching tv late at night with our hybrid and it's not an issue.
and people sleep in tents/popups/hybrids with little kids all the time, so that's not so unusual for a crying kid to be heard. i think it's not that big of a deal.

but a tt that would have room for the two of you and two teenagers and a two year-old, would probably require a bunkhouse model. which would be way longer and heavier than a hybrid.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:21 PM   #5

We too just traded our pop up and was thinking of the 23ikss also. Our two issues was that they were hard to find on the west coast to look at and we found ourselves changing camping plans all the time due to the high winds in our area. Went with a 28' bunkhouse instead cause our teenage daughter would usually bring a friend and we could still tow comfortably. Also fell in love with our dark espresso cabinets and the bathroom with its own outside door!

Probably the question to ask yourself- will this be the last trailer I buy or will I need to upgrade in 3-6 years?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #6

Like others have stated, you have to like the tent feeling, and you have to realize that set-up takes some time.

The Roo 233s is our first RV purchase and I still like the feeling, but I do not like the set-up and take down. It is time consuming. Sometimes I go by myself or with just my daughter and it is a process to get the trailer ready once I get to the site. It would be nice to park it, set the chocks and awning and be done. I do love the floor space and the extra beds. Just do not like folding the beds every time I want to move.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlygibbs View Post
Like others have stated, you have to like the tent feeling, and you have to realize that set-up takes some time.

The Roo 233s is our first RV purchase and I still like the feeling, but I do not like the set-up and take down. It is time consuming. Sometimes I go by myself or with just my daughter and it is a process to get the trailer ready once I get to the site. It would be nice to park it, set the chocks and awning and be done. I do love the floor space and the extra beds. Just do not like folding the beds every time I want to move.
Compared to our popup the hybrid is lighting fast to setup. We use a thin foam matress pad, so the pad, the sheets, and matress all fold up together with the bar sandwiched inside. Setup is drop the door, push the pole up, put the blanket & pillows on. Its only 2-3 minutes per end. And we made several one night stops this summer and fortunately the front bunk end will come all the way down while still hooked up to the truck. Made for super quick setup.

Taking the beds down and folding up is not quite as fast, but still not bad. Just depends on your perspective. Its so much less work than a tent or a popup, but still more involved than a regular travel trailer.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #8

We had also noticed with the sleeping area (pop outs) that for the most models -at least the one we saw or researched, that you needed to climb over your sleeping partner to get to your spot. On our 1993 Flagstaff pop up we both climbed straight in with our heads facing the back window and feet facing inside. No need to climb over someone vs what we have been seeing with the newer models of hybrids. We certainly don't regret having the pop up as you can see as we used it for 17 years. We are just ready to move on and up
PTLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
Broken Toe

It really boils down to "do you like sleeping under canvas?" I had a class A, a Pop up and a hybrid, and I found I really enjoy the feeling of sleeping under the canvas. It 'feels' more like camping to me than sleeping in a fiberglass box. I can hear the leaves rustle in the trees. On cool nights, I leave the flaps open and rejoice in the heated mattress. True, I have been woken up by barking dogs, and the occasional rude crow, but that's small potatoes to the benefits.

I discount the argument of "it takes extra time to set up". For me, I unlatch the bunk and swing it down. I go inside and unsnap the mattress straps and install the Shepard's pole. That's it. No more than minute or two at the most. It takes me longer to jack the tongue up off the hitch than it does to deploy the beds. Anyone who says that setting up in a modern hybrid is time consuming probably has never done it.

Some people prefer to be insulated from the outdoors when they sleep. If so, the hybrid is not for them. But for me, nothing maximizes the price/space/comfort/convenience curve like a hybrid.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

hybrid or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyingaj View Post
So much to consider... we thought we were going to go with the shamrock 23ikss but are now starting to rethink because of the canvas bed pop outs and the sound issues. One, we have a 2 year old and are worried everyone camping around us will hear him if he decides to have a fit or get sad. Two, we like winding down at night to a movie so is everyone going to hear if we are watching TV at 10:00 at night? Any experience to set us at ease or change our minds? Thanks!

Two pieces of advise from someone who camped last year with a 2 and 3 year old:

1) Canvas or not, when they throw a fit, people will hear them. TT aren't much better at soundproofing tantrums.

2) One of the things that steered us away from hybrids was the kids using the support pole for the canvas as a set of monkey bars. At 2 and 3 it was just the right height for them to hang from and swing back and forth while we're trying to talk to the dealer.

If you're looking at the 23ikss, have you considered the 25rs? Both have the side slide for extra room, but the later lacks canvas. And based on a quick look at the FR website, both come in around the same dry weight.

Or, you can do like we did and step up to a fullsize TT. My Flagstaff 29QBSS is only 1000 lbs or so heavier than the hybrids/Rear Slides we were looking at and is well within my 1/2 ton's towing ability.

Edit: I almost forgot one other point regarding the movie watching. Don't make the mistake I have on occasion and forget to turn the outside speakers off. One morning we put a DVD on for the kids since it was raining out and I didn't feel like going outside with them. When I went to let the dog out about 1/2 way through the movie I realized we left the outside speakers on the night before and were blaring The Little Mermaid to the whole campground.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #11

Our kids watched a movie almost every night before bed while camping (live in Fl where mosquitoes will carry you away) in our popup. It was never an issue w/ being too loud as my husband & I would normally sit around the fire. Never had anyone complain either. I have heard adults fighting and parents scream at kids in TT. So I wouldn't worry to much about your child. Most people have been there and understand.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #12

Not we had one and after a year hated it???waking up damp! having to open to dry, if you travel distances and use rest areas to sleep or walmarts not good to open for a night....don't get one...it's nice to open the door when on the road when tired and just go to bed.
New England, USA
msalvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #13

I have gone from a tent to a tent trailer to a trailer and now own a 5th. That is over a 44 year span. All have there advantages and all have there disadvantages. I will tell you I got tired of all the work that was involved in tenting and to the same degree tent trailering. I have spent many hours putting up and tearing down in the rain. Canvas, no mater what type, must be dried before storing. You can put it away wet to get home but must dry it out once there. I looked at the hybrids when I decided that I had enough of the tent trailer disadvantages. I decided to stay away from them because of the canvas issues. When you are packing up in the rain, you have to push the pop outs back in. No matter how well they are sealed the wet canvas will soak other areas of the trailer. We bought a 21 foot trailer that was not much heavier than the tent trailer. It was nice to be able to pull in or out anywhere rain or shine. It is also nice having the facilities right at hand. No more tracing through the park in the middle of the night.

I am sure which ever one you decide on you will be happy until you get that urge to upgrade and we all get it.
Buddy Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #14

pop up to hybrid to tt

As the title states we have done the progression like everyone else. We had a 2010 Rockwood 2318g pop up with a bathroom to start.It was a good camper but traded up to a hybrid because of space, storage and set up. We had a hard time picking out our next camper. The wife didn't really want to sell the pop up but I was done with the storage problem. We settled on a 2012 Jayco x23j hybrid. We really liked this trailer. It suited our family well and was very well made. It had a ton of storage and multiple sleeping arrangements. However after a couple of seasons I got tired of using the campground facilities instead of our postage stamp sized bathroom. (i'm not a small guy) And of course there was still some set up/breakdown time. Biggest issue was breaking down in the rain and folding up the tent ends up wet. When you got home you had to open the ends up so you didn't get any mold issues. Sooo, this year we bought a 2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27rlws. It has everything we wanted and stayed within our weight and length parameters. Of course it is sitting in my driveway frozen solid with plenty of snow on its roof so we haven't used it yet. April vacation can't come soon enough! Hope that helps. If I can help any other way please don't hesitate to ask. In the meantime I'll be here looking out the window!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #15

It's just a matter of preference, everything is a give and take, we had a pop-up for years before deciding to buy a 25rs, we liked the hybrids with the canvas but after getting caught in afew nasty storms, we decided to get the hard slides.
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #16

Years ago I used to camp with a group and some of them had pop up campers. They would frequently complain the next day about the noisy neighbors and how they kept them awake all night with their parties. I would go inside my travel trailer, shut the door, turn on the AC and never hear a thing. You sound like thoughtful people that are worried about disturbing others, when it's those others that may not care about disturbing you that you might need to think about.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #17
Site Team

this past posts are why i keep telling prospective hybrid buyers that you have to "LOVE" the idea of sleeping under canvas, to buy a hybrid.
because many, like the above posters, have found that the possible noise issue or wet canvas ends up making them hate their hybrid.

for us, we've LOVED sleeping under canvas and happily put up with the rare noisy neighbor and the occasional wet canvas because it feels like we're still camping and not sealed off from nature, as a TT or 5th wheel or MH would be.
but we almost always camp in natural settings, like state parks and national parks and steer away from private rv parks/campgrounds, like KOA, because we don't feel that style is really camping.
at least the private ones in California are concerned.

as to comfun's comment about popups, hybrids are much better at blocking sounds, since they don't have canvas walls, like popups do. only the tent ends are canvas, the rest of the trailer is like any other TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
Professional Curmudgeon

Bikendan brings up a very good point to consider. Why have a camper (of any type) at all? That is, what function does it fulfill for you? For Dan, it is an important part of the camping experience. For me, my TT is my "motel on wheels". It allows me to stay in places that may not even have a motel close by, and I don't have to put up with anybody else's cooties but mine. I can stay in a state park, a military campground, or a private park with equal ease and comfort, and don't have to look for a restaurant if I don't feel like "eating out".
In this regard I am isolated from nature when I go to sleep (unless I leave the door open), which may or may not be a bad thing. During the day we are out and about and get pretty much all the nature we can handle. Sometimes it's good to close the door.
So, once you identify what role your camper plays in your experiences or plans, you'll be a lot closer to deciding what kind to buy.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #19

No doubt matter of preference. We didn't want to tow a big trailer so got a 21SS and the fact that the beds fold out and give so much floor space is a winner. We also have slide outs which give more floor space. Plus the beds in regular travel trailers are far less superior to the mattresses in fold outs. Just my opinion.
Susan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #20

I have a hybrid. Trailer is 17 feet, when ends are out it is becomes a 31 foot trailer all for 3100 pounds. I have only had an issue with it once when it was raining and I had to close up the ends wet. The next day after work was a beautiful day, so opened them up and they dried in about 1/2 hour.

As for noise, as one person said, if they want to make a cry etc, does not matter the type of trailer, someone will hear it. Not sure how many of the bloggers here have kids, but been there done that.

In the summer when we have the air conditioning on, we dont hear a thing outside - nothing. So dont worry about it.

I love my hybrid just because it packs a lot in a smaller trailer. I have been looking at bigger non-hybrid trailers and even though i have a Yukon, it can only pull 5600 pounds. So dont forget the tow vehicle when you discount hybrids.
Camped 2014 - 23 days
masarost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid