Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
and i've had my Roo hybrid for 5 years and never had any tent leaks!
are you sure it wasn't condensation?
and, yes, the Kodiak mattresses were notorious for being uncomfortable.
we have a foam topper on our mattress and it's great.
and that's a common fix on a lot of RV's mattresses, not just hybrids.

just a question, did you research hybrids before you bought the Kodiak. i know the mattresses have been the #1 complaint on Kodiak hybrids for some time.

Did a lot of research and almost bout a Roo, but felt the Kodiak's overall quality was better and I did get a better price. Everything else about the Kodiak was top notch except for the terrible matresses and leaking tent ends.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
I am in my local mountains and unfortunately our yearly anniversary trip is a rain wash. No biggie. We are all together and enjoying each others company.
Sonny daughter just said it is raining on her. I checked and sure enough, the canvas top of our hybrid is leaking at some of the seams. I have checked both fold outs and sure enough. We are leaking! WTH? Am I missing something? Was I supposed to put sOmenkind of sealer on or is my new 2011 just leaking? We are supposed to be out all week and right now if is just a small leak along a seam. That being said it is going to rain the whole time we are out. Booooo.

Any other hybrid owners have any advice?

Thanks.
When we had our hybrid and we went out in cool damp weather we would get enough condensation in the bunk ends that it would drip on us. What we did to help with this problem is we kept the heat low at night, kept the zipper (at the top) open a bit to let moisture out and kept a roof vent cracked open to also let moisture out. The trick is to let any extra moisture out before it condensates on the canvas.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #23

I am sure about the leaks. They were dripping down from the seams at the top edges.
We made through the worst of it. I tied a strap from the cable end to the edge of the pop out and put a towel along the seam. Last night it did not rain as bad sooner was a much smaller drip.
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #24

Eric F. thanks to your thread, as I mentioned, we found the little card telling us to wet the canvas several times and let it dry in between each wetting to expand the threads. We were able to do that while we were camping this weekend and have not experienced any leaks. Sorry the info could not have been sooner to help your situation.
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Camping in 2011 =43
socref01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #25
Site Team

the term for this process, "tent seasoning" has been around since the old days of real-canvas cabin tents.

that's why seam sealer has been a must for so many years for tent campers. but newer materials don't need this as much and seam sealer has become more of a repair item.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #26

Thanks for all the help. Being new to the Rv lifestyle I am continually learning new things. This is but one more lesson I have learned. Fortunately the rain has cleared and we have dried up for now. We will see what happens when the next storm rolls in.
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #27

I have 07, 19 ft. Rockwood Roo. It seems to leak when the ends are folded up. I have read that it can be the hinges that are leaking what do you do to stop this?
rockwood roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood roo View Post
I have 07, 19 ft. Rockwood Roo. It seems to leak when the ends are folded up. I have read that it can be the hinges that are leaking what do you do to stop this?
you may want to move this to the Roo section, since it's has way more members.
when does it leak, when driving in rain or just sitting in rain?
most bunk ends leak due to water/rain getting in between bad seals. and it gets pulled down to the hinge area from gravity. it tends to pool there and affect to wood around the hinge.
this could be from leaky clearance lights, canvas/bungees caught in the seals, a bowed bunk door or finally, bad/compressed older rubber seals.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, salem