Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #1

Leaks from 3 days of rain!

Just got back from 4 days at Lake of the Ozarks state Park....kids had a blast but it rained alot!

Anyways after a couple days I noticed seepage from under the back bunk on our 233s...I was able to remedy it with a handy bead of Silicone around the entire perimeter of where the tent meets the door.

If it were you guys would you turn this in for warranty or should I just keep an eye on it and seal the other 2 beds?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180327_193759.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	166501  
dodr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:49 AM   #2

Have you noticed the canvas pulling out of the plastic channel around the bottom edges? A lot of us have had that problem (even with brand new units). If so, take a look at this thread:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=111995
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:51 AM   #3

To answer your question... I decided to just fix mine, instead of going through warranty. I thought the fix that I was planning was going to be much better than what the warranty would provide and I also didn't want to be without my new camper that long.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #4

That question can better be answered by answering the following...
When is your next trip?
What is the wait/repair schedule for your dealer?
Are you close so you can bring it down for the day or do to have to drop it off and leave it in the repair queue?
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys, next trip is the last week in May...I looked under the plastic cap for the rail and the canvas seems to be holding tight in the track still.

I was kind of disappointed that there was not a better system for keeping water out besides canvas jammed into a track screwed to the door.
dodr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #6

I would pull the canvas out, fill the channel full of silicone and then reattach the canvas as described in the link I posted. Sounds like water is somehow traveling along the canvas. I'm surprised that you don't see the canvas pulling out of the channel at all though. I didn't have any leaks up until the point that my kids almost fell out of the trailer due to the canvas pulling out of the channel.

Fixed it two years ago and haven't had any problems since.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #7

First and foremost. Don't get your camper get within 2 counties of silicone! Find a none silicone based sealer. Once you use silicone nothing else will stick. If it's under warranty let the dealer fix it unless you are very sure you can fix it yourself. Once it's out of warranty you have to live with it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:18 AM   #8

Dealer would just run a bead of silicone around the perimeter as the fix anyway, which you already did. (The silicone bead should have been there in the first place, but they seem to have been a bit stingy with the silicone - my back bunk got the stingy silicone, the front bunk has not had an issue).
As long as the problem did not interfere with our camping, I waited and took it back at the end of the season. They had a lengthy list of things to look at that we uncovered that first season and I did not spend the year running back and forth to the dealer. That worked out really well, they had it most of the winter....free storage LOL.

Btw, you may want to consider screwing down the track caps to help hold the canvas in the track as the canvas is only held in mostly by the silicone.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post

Btw, you may want to consider screwing down the track caps to help hold the canvas in the track as the canvas is only held in mostly by the silicone.
Yep. Look at post #12 at the link I posted earlier. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=111995

My bunks had just dabs of silicone from the factory. Not a continuous bead.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #10

Thanks for the link ebcobra93 , I checked out the thread and that seems Ike the way to go!

Tags
leak