Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #1

Leaky seals....

Hey Yall:
We have a nice metal shed/pole barn to store our Roo under. However, after reading all the leaky bunk seals, especially on the front bunk here I decided to leave her out in the rain. We got hammered with maybe 5 inches of rain yesterday and this morning...and yep I had water in the camper! I was freaking out some.

I called my "local dealer" in Ft. Pierce, Florida and they trouble shot the problem over the phone with me. Guess what? I had a 3 inch piece of the tent flap on the bunk end stuck between the inner black seal! It was soaked. All the other bunk ends were fine. The service tech told me this is the leading cause of the leaky bunk seals, fabric and those little nylon chords getting hung up in the seals while packing away. Lesson learned and want to pass along to all the newby owners here. He told me even a leaf in the seal will cause the things to let water through. They need to be clean and free of debris before closing up the bunk ends.

I also asked about water penetrating the bunk end side panels. One person posted this question here the other day. I asked if this ever was an issue and if there is a water proofing fabric protectant like for Sunbrella or something we could apply to the material. First, he has never had this as service issue ever. He said the seams are factory sealed and 303 makes a Sunbrella UV protectant and water repelliant spray we could use but it is not necessary.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #2

Thank you!
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
The service tech told me this is the leading cause of the leaky bunk seals, fabric and those little nylon chords getting hung up in the seals while packing away....... He told me even a leaf in the seal will cause the things to let water through. They need to be clean and free of debris before closing up the bunk ends.
Hello Smokyroo, Joe(y) at Tropical is quite good at troubleshooting things over the phone and an amazing guy in person! Visiting him this Monday to replace a fried wire in our furnace.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Site Team

yes, this is a more common cause of hybrid leaks than people want to admit.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #5

Bikendan,
I thought we got it all tucked in before we closed her up. I am going to double check on the inside from now on. Do you have any tips for folding the bed canvas to keep it out of the seals when folding it up?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
Site Team

i'm tall enough that i can close it up by myself. but it does help to have two people to make sure.
the DW is in charge of looking to see if anything is caught.

we first fold the far end about a third in. then we flip the sides and bungees, up over the cables. i then lift the bunk door up about halfway. the DW then pushes the sides with the cables in. it creates a v-fold in towards the middle, on each side.
once that's done, i push it almost closed and the DW does one last check before i close it.
you can also check from the inside, to make sure everything looks like it is clear.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #7

Rub it in...I need step stool just to undue the latch....lol. and the Admiral is even shorter than me....they need a miniroo for altitudinally challanged people....
Old 03-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
Rub it in...I need step stool just to undue the latch....lol. and the Admiral is even shorter than me....they need a miniroo for altitudinally challanged people....
yea, but i'm sure you aren't the Clydesdale that i am and can climb those mountains without sweating!

i miss the old Clydesdale mtn. bike racing class.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #9

Well you got me there...I m no clydesdale, but I may not be any faster lol... I really want a new mountain bike now that you bring it up....