Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #1

Making Coffee

I really enjoy my morning coffee in the woods but I need suggestions about brewing coffee ... I normally camp without power so options are limited. I've done the old stand by perk, I've used a coffee press, I have a Coleman stove top drip ... Does anyone have any other options I should consider? The stove top drip is ok but it's so slow - I think it sits too high from the burner. What else is out there ?
CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Keurig and a Generator?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Always Learning

Making Coffee

There's always instant coffee.

(Said from a non-coffee drinker.)
Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #4

K*E*U*R*I*G

Sorry...it is what it is
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
Always Learning

Someone linked to a coffee press that could use the keurig cups.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #6

Correct - apologies for not supplying the link
Amazon.com: Cafejo MFP011KBRZI My French Press K-Cup Single Cup Brewer: Kitchen & Dining
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
(Said from a non-coffee drinker.)

Let's get this straight, you don't drink coffee, yet you work in IT? You'd be a rare one around here.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
Always Learning

Making Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post

Let's get this straight, you don't drink coffee, yet you work in IT? You'd be a rare one around here.

LOL, yep- can't stand the stuff, though I love the smell of fresh ground coffee. I worked 2-jobs back to back who made sludge in the coffee pot. It started triggering heartburn and has ever since.

Let me rock your world a little more- I dislike Mountain Dew, have never had a monster/5-hour/you name it energy drink AND Doritos are NOT a staple of my diet (though, I do enjoy them and have consumed vast quantities in stereotypical hack-a-thons).

Old 06-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
LOL, yep- can't stand the stuff, though I love the smell of fresh ground coffee. I worked 2-jobs back to back who made sludge in the coffee pot. It started triggering heartburn and has ever since.

Let me rock your world a little more- I dislike Mountain Dew, have never had a monster/5-hour/you name it energy drink AND Doritos are NOT a staple of my diet (though, I do enjoy them and have consumed vast quantities in stereotypical hack-a-thons).

Well, I can agree with you on the Monster, etc... for the most part. But 5-hour's are a staple when I'm at the client site. Like Buckley's, they taste awful, and they work.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Well, I can agree with you on the Monster, etc... for the most part. But 5-hour's are a staple when I'm at the client site. Like Buckley's, they taste awful, and they work.

I get jittery when on coffee from the caffeine; I can't imagine my pulse on a 5-hour!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

This looks very cool. Great idea. Does it work very well ?
CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I get jittery when on coffee from the caffeine; I can't imagine my pulse on a 5-hour!
That's one of the reasons I prefer the 5 hour, it's more B vitamins than caffeine. Mind you it's something like 8000% of the recommended daily dose of B vitamins, so they're probably harmful, but caffeine wise it's about the same as a normal coffee.

Still, you need to be able to take at least the amount of caffeine in a coffee to have one.

But back to the OPs thread:

The K-cup press seems like a good idea, but you still need to heat the water, so might as well just use a stove top percolator. Keurig coffees aren't any different than any other brewed coffee, their just convenient.

If it really came down to it, I always have this option:

Old 06-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWhiskey View Post
This looks very cool. Great idea. Does it work very well ?
I ordered one earlier tonight. Also ordered a milk froth'er for Cappuccino.

Amazon.com: Cafejo My French-Press with K-Cup Pod and Ground Coffee Adaptors Plus, Various Coffee Samples: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Bodum 1446-01US4 Latteo Milk Frother with Glass Handle, 8-Ounce: Electric Milk Frothers: Kitchen & Dining
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #14

I actually gave up coffee as an experiment and found that my blood pressure has been better for it. I may fall asleep and the keybbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
keyboard once in a while is all.
We have not gone Keurig at home yet so any maker for the woods would be auto-drip:
Amazon.com : Coleman Portable Propane Coffeemaker : Camping Coffee And Tea Pots : Home & Kitchen
Old 06-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #15
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
I really enjoy my morning coffee in the woods but I need suggestions about brewing coffee ... I normally camp without power so options are limited. I've done the old stand by perk, I've used a coffee press, I have a Coleman stove top drip ... Does anyone have any other options I should consider? The stove top drip is ok but it's so slow - I think it sits too high from the burner. What else is out there ?
I also have a Coleman stove top drip and agree it is slow.

Last trip out I didn't take the Coleman because we had electricity at our site (or so we thought) so I only took the electric drip coffee maker. After 2 hours of no power in the campground I just had to have a cup of coffee, so I filled the decanter with water (more as a measuring cup) then poured the water from the decanter into my stove top teapot and heated the water. I put a filter and coffee as normal in the electric drip percolator and just poured the hot water slowly into the filter basket myself....and soon, I had a full pot of coffee. Worked so well I may use this method instead of the Coleman drip from now on.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #16

Quote:
That's one of the reasons I prefer the 5 hour, it's more B vitamins than caffeine. Mind you it's something like 8000% of the recommended daily dose of B vitamins, so they're probably harmful, but caffeine wise it's about the same as a normal coffee.

Still, you need to be able to take at least the amount of caffeine in a coffee to have one.

But back to the OPs thread:

The K-cup press seems like a good idea, but you still need to heat the water, so might as well just use a stove top percolator. Keurig coffees aren't any different than any other brewed coffee, their just convenient.

If it really came down to it, I always have this option:

I discovered Timmy Hortons while in Calgary working at a Power Plant in the middle of a blizard.....One of the best cups of coffee I have ever had. They even had outlets to plug your car in in the parking lot for the -40C temps.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
I discovered Timmy Hortons while in Calgary working at a Power Plant in the middle of a blizard.....One of the best cups of coffee I have ever had. They even had outlets to plug your car in in the parking lot for the -40C temps.
Oh, I agree. I remember working a project in Maine with a guy from Texas. Every day we swapped who would end up buying who a coffee, me from Timmy's, him from Dunkin Donuts. We never did settle who had the better coffee. I'm still convinced it's Timmy's, he's still convinced it's DD.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

We use to make what we called Ol Joe. Just boiled the water, threw in the coffee and let all the coffee settle to the bottom it was ready to drink. Next pot just more water and more coffee. Eventually had to dump the grounds after the 3rd or 4th pot. Last pot would just about curl your toes.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #19

I bought a 2000 watt inverter that I wired into my battery string and it brews the coffee for me. No need to start the generator that early in the am
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Here is your best deal. Product world - Melitta Pour-Over 1-Cup Brew Cone Black - Melitta Buy the filters at walmart, nobody has them cheaper. Total cost per cup, probably. $.08 cents per cup. Nice and hot too. Those kurigs are a rip off if you ask me. This way you control the strength per cup.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote