Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by biken201 View Post
1. 233S

We put a 3" foam topper (bought at Target) on the mattress, then a mattress pad and sheets (fitted and flat - flannel or cotton, depending on temps) on top of that. The mattress pad is mostly to protect the foam from our dogs that are allowed on the bunk.

On top of it all we use LLBean camp sleeping bags. Depending on the temps, we'll either use them as sleeping bags (colder) or a comforter blanket.

Our bunk is then almost as comfy as the bed at home. We simply roll the foam topper and keep it on the couch (or dinette) when traveling.
I wanna come camping with you! Wow. Sounds wildly comfortable. I do worry though that there may be too much comfort and I may never want to get out of bed in the morning.

So tell me about the 3" topper. Most people here and other threads have mentioned 2" topper and they just throw theirs on top of the dinette but you roll yours up. How many are you rolling up? How big are the rolls? I'm very curious. If I buy three of them I'm picturing what looks like three good size rolls of carpet sitting in my camper. Do the sheets cover the stock mattress AND the foam topper AND the mattress pad?

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #12

Ours may actually be a 2" topper (I don't remember). Either way, it is as comfy as I've described.

As far as rolling it up: That is how it was when we purchased it, so that is what we continued to do when it was not on the bed. When rolled up, it takes up half the couch, but we've had no problem with it staying there during transport.

Here is a picture of our front bunk with the foam mattress, mattress pad and sheets. The only thing(s) missing are the sleeping bags.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-315585514.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	23687

Because it is usually just the dogs and us, we do not put the foam on the other bunks. On the rare occasion that we have visitors, they sleep on the mattress with just sleeping bags. No complaints yet, however.

Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #13

War Movies,
the pop up gizmos do keep the camper cooler and the fact that it help keeps the bed ends cleaner is such a plus, if we are going to a really hot place like the keys in july or cold in the fall we also use reflexic (sold at the hardware stores)
its a silver insulation , comes in a big roll and we cut it to size for all the bed windows, between them and the pop ups we crack the vent alittle with both air and heat no moisture or condinsation at all , and the temperature is very comfortable.. I also but some plexi -glass and cut had it cut in the shape of the screen door then had it tinted and with velcro secure it to the frame of the screen door so not to be permanent but it helps let us be able to keep the outside door open and not lose the heat or ac or more important or privacy.....
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #14

I greatly appreciate this post I knew I would want to have a really comfy bed. I like good support but my bones need a cushy top! After 2 nites in the same unit / mattress you describe, I intend to invest in a good quality 4" topper ~ whatever I have to do to store it will be worth it. We did use a 2" good quality foam topper but it just wasn't enough for us. The fancy one at Camping World looked wonderful....... we'll see...... I think it's a matter of weight too, if you are lighter weight, the 2" would proly be fine...I do appreciate your thought of having padding for 3 beds. Will you need to use three each time you go out? I expect to use one all the time but would like others available to take with me when needed. Costco and Sams have great pricing.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #15

@Pony express ~ thank you for the info on the reflexic. We are considering purchasing something along this line too. I was wondering if anybody ever popped up a canopy over the bunk ends? Good idea? Bad idea?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #16
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancythecamper View Post
I was wondering if anybody ever popped up a canopy over the bunk ends? Good idea? Bad idea?
it'd have to be a tall one to clear but other than wind issues, don't see why you couldn't.
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #17

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just use the pop up gizmos
massachusetts
Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #18

perhaps ~ LOL ~ sometimes you don't know what you don't know yet We have a nice canopy (free since we own it) but the issue of height might be a deal breaker. must investigate the gizmos, etc...... Thx
Old 02-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #19

Im going to attempt to mount my gizmos permanently to the inside of the camper only so I don't need the ladder every time, I just like the fact that bunk end stay clean....
massachusetts
Old 02-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #20
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony express View Post
Im going to attempt to mount my gizmos permanently to the inside of the camper only so I don't need the ladder every time, I just like the fact that bunk end stay clean....
this idea has been proposed before. i believe that you won't be able to close the bunk doors if you left the gizmos on permanently.
i guess if you had a seasonal site and never closed the bunk ends, it might work.
the only successful mod i've seen for this, is installing Velcro strips inside the bunk frame, above the canvas top. then they sewed the other side of the Velcro to the edge of the gizmo.

'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s