Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #1

Mattress Topper for Hybrid (Roo 233s)

I pick up our camper in two months from the dealer who is storing it for us and am not impressed with the mattresses at all. I have heard them called springy. I just dont know how I'm going to get a good nights rest on them. When doing the walk thru I sat and laid on them briefly. Although it was brief there was the instant "that will have to change" instant feeling.
We are used to Coleman popup mattresses that are 17 years old and I would take them over what is in the 233s. Just my personal preference.

I have read thru the forum here and searched for mattress toppers and other people's experiences. I would have posted this in the Mods section but the thing is I need to hear from other hybrid owners who use toppers and need to know what they do with their topper when they close the bunk ends. TT owners leave it on the bed. I get that. But I want to know what others use and what they do with it when its time to close their bunk ends. Is there anyway to close it with the topper in the bunk end? I am looking at a 2" foam topper. I'd take a 4" or even a 6" but who am I kidding. What will I do with 3 - 6" toppers!

Worst case scenario (w/o knowing anything and not even having the camper yet) I would sell the mattresses and talk to Jayco or another Mfg who uses the traditional mattress. We went thru a Jayco X23F and the mattress was about the only thing I preferred over the Roo 233s. But I really liked it. I might be inclined to go get their mattresses if I cant get something worked out with using a topper and storing it. Storage is going to be huge. I already am planning on storing lawn chairs and sleeping bags on the dinette. Alas...thats another thread...storage.

Those who might say...dont do that because the heated feature is to die for. We've camped in Yellowstone in a popup with freezing temperatures and snow with no working furnace. We are pretty hardy and impervious to the cold. Almost all of our camping is dry and is preferred anyways which means no heated mattress.

SO..let it fly. If you hybrid and have those heated (springy) mattresses I'd like to hear about your sleeping arrangement and modifications and these questions in particular.

1. What camper do you use?
2. Do you use a topper?
3. What kind and size (thickness)?
4. Where do you store the topper?

Thank you for the input. I've got two months...I plan on bringing with topper(s) to sleep on the couple nights I am going to use getting it home from OH to MN.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #2

I would guess that one of those 3" memory foamgel toppers at Costco would be a great option without adding much bulk. Store one or two on the dinette beneath the lawn chairs/sleeping bags during travel and storage? Until my guests or my daughter complain about the mattresses, I do not think I would worry about getting one for each bed.

Good luck!
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1. 233S
2. Yes
3. We have two memory foam mattresses. One is 2" and one is 1 1/2". Bought from Target.
4. We put down the table and store them on top when traveling.

My wife would agree with you about the stock mattresses. I'm actually ok with them, but I admit the memory foams are really nice. Not that you asked, but the heat gets through the foam just fine if you turn on the heated mattress a couple hours before bed.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #4

Do you guys put bed sheets on the foam? Leave on top as is? How about sizing...does the topper match up well with the mattress? I've read about others cutting them to size. We sleep on a memory foam mattress at home.

My wife did not come with to the walk thru. In fact she has not been in a Roo camper as we bought sight unseen. So when I bring it home in two months it will be her first introduction to the camper besides the countless pictures I've shown her.

I've warned her about the mattresses and have told her what models they compare to. She cant remember one from the other but is not excited about the idea of being on anything springy. "Why dont they give you an option of picking an different mattress?"

We are going to the RV show in two weeks and hopefully they have a Roo and she can try out the mattress for herself.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #5

1. 233s
2. yes
3. They are about 2 inches bought at walmart
4. We also store on the table area

We put the sheets right over them with no problems, we bought the king and have cut them done were afraid the queen would be to short (I like more not less) and there was not to much to cut .
I dont think i would use the topper if we were using the heat with the mattress.
good luck with your camper .

Fyi another great purchase is the pop up gizmos really helps keep the canvas clean as well as the other benifits.
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Engineer of Crazy Train

Any issues in cutting them down to bunk size?
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #7

I used a sharp knife and it cut fairly easy but i also did'nt have to cut all that much ... We have three queens so not sure on the bunks i would measure the bunks then look at the size of the topper and determine how much work you want to do lol good luck
massachusetts
Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #8

I had a Jayco KIWI 23D, and we had two 2" Memory foam toppers we bought at a clearance house. Trimmed them to fit. However our camper had some cabinets with a bunk on top and thats where we stored them.

Mike
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #9

1. 233S

We put a 3" foam topper (bought at Target) on the mattress, then a mattress pad and sheets (fitted and flat - flannel or cotton, depending on temps) on top of that. The mattress pad is mostly to protect the foam from our dogs that are allowed on the bunk.

On top of it all we use LLBean camp sleeping bags. Depending on the temps, we'll either use them as sleeping bags (colder) or a comforter blanket.

Our bunk is then almost as comfy as the bed at home. We simply roll the foam topper and keep it on the couch (or dinette) when traveling.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony express View Post
1. 233s
2. yes
3. They are about 2 inches bought at walmart
4. We also store on the table area

We put the sheets right over them with no problems, we bought the king and have cut them done were afraid the queen would be to short (I like more not less) and there was not to much to cut .
I dont think i would use the topper if we were using the heat with the mattress.
good luck with your camper .

Fyi another great purchase is the pop up gizmos really helps keep the canvas clean as well as the other benifits.
I mentioned cutting a foam topper to the co-pilot and her reply was we cant even keep a scissors sharp enough in the house to cut a piece of paper! Pfbth!

Gizmos are on "the list". Sounds like a great idea. I'm very used to avoiding the camper in the heat of the day even with all the windows open and used to waking up with little droplets of water hitting my face. Do the gizmos really eliminate that? If so...I'm beginning to wonder if I can make my camping experience far too cushy.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by biken201 View Post
1. 233S

We put a 3" foam topper (bought at Target) on the mattress, then a mattress pad and sheets (fitted and flat - flannel or cotton, depending on temps) on top of that. The mattress pad is mostly to protect the foam from our dogs that are allowed on the bunk.

On top of it all we use LLBean camp sleeping bags. Depending on the temps, we'll either use them as sleeping bags (colder) or a comforter blanket.

Our bunk is then almost as comfy as the bed at home. We simply roll the foam topper and keep it on the couch (or dinette) when traveling.
I wanna come camping with you! Wow. Sounds wildly comfortable. I do worry though that there may be too much comfort and I may never want to get out of bed in the morning.

So tell me about the 3" topper. Most people here and other threads have mentioned 2" topper and they just throw theirs on top of the dinette but you roll yours up. How many are you rolling up? How big are the rolls? I'm very curious. If I buy three of them I'm picturing what looks like three good size rolls of carpet sitting in my camper. Do the sheets cover the stock mattress AND the foam topper AND the mattress pad?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #12

Ours may actually be a 2" topper (I don't remember). Either way, it is as comfy as I've described.

As far as rolling it up: That is how it was when we purchased it, so that is what we continued to do when it was not on the bed. When rolled up, it takes up half the couch, but we've had no problem with it staying there during transport.

Here is a picture of our front bunk with the foam mattress, mattress pad and sheets. The only thing(s) missing are the sleeping bags.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-315585514.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	23687

Because it is usually just the dogs and us, we do not put the foam on the other bunks. On the rare occasion that we have visitors, they sleep on the mattress with just sleeping bags. No complaints yet, however.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #13

War Movies,
the pop up gizmos do keep the camper cooler and the fact that it help keeps the bed ends cleaner is such a plus, if we are going to a really hot place like the keys in july or cold in the fall we also use reflexic (sold at the hardware stores)
its a silver insulation , comes in a big roll and we cut it to size for all the bed windows, between them and the pop ups we crack the vent alittle with both air and heat no moisture or condinsation at all , and the temperature is very comfortable.. I also but some plexi -glass and cut had it cut in the shape of the screen door then had it tinted and with velcro secure it to the frame of the screen door so not to be permanent but it helps let us be able to keep the outside door open and not lose the heat or ac or more important or privacy.....
massachusetts
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #14

I greatly appreciate this post I knew I would want to have a really comfy bed. I like good support but my bones need a cushy top! After 2 nites in the same unit / mattress you describe, I intend to invest in a good quality 4" topper ~ whatever I have to do to store it will be worth it. We did use a 2" good quality foam topper but it just wasn't enough for us. The fancy one at Camping World looked wonderful....... we'll see...... I think it's a matter of weight too, if you are lighter weight, the 2" would proly be fine...I do appreciate your thought of having padding for 3 beds. Will you need to use three each time you go out? I expect to use one all the time but would like others available to take with me when needed. Costco and Sams have great pricing.
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #15

@Pony express ~ thank you for the info on the reflexic. We are considering purchasing something along this line too. I was wondering if anybody ever popped up a canopy over the bunk ends? Good idea? Bad idea?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancythecamper View Post
I was wondering if anybody ever popped up a canopy over the bunk ends? Good idea? Bad idea?
it'd have to be a tall one to clear but other than wind issues, don't see why you couldn't.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #17

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just use the pop up gizmos
massachusetts
Old 02-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #18

perhaps ~ LOL ~ sometimes you don't know what you don't know yet We have a nice canopy (free since we own it) but the issue of height might be a deal breaker. must investigate the gizmos, etc...... Thx
Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #19

Im going to attempt to mount my gizmos permanently to the inside of the camper only so I don't need the ladder every time, I just like the fact that bunk end stay clean....
massachusetts
Old 02-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony express View Post
Im going to attempt to mount my gizmos permanently to the inside of the camper only so I don't need the ladder every time, I just like the fact that bunk end stay clean....
this idea has been proposed before. i believe that you won't be able to close the bunk doors if you left the gizmos on permanently.
i guess if you had a seasonal site and never closed the bunk ends, it might work.
the only successful mod i've seen for this, is installing Velcro strips inside the bunk frame, above the canvas top. then they sewed the other side of the Velcro to the edge of the gizmo.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s