Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #1

Moving to Florida can you keep your RV at your house

I am looking to move to Cape Coral Florida and it seems a lot of areas will not allow you to store a boat or RV outside of your property either in the back, side, or driveway. Does anyone know an area in Cape Coral or other parts of Florida that will allow this? If not where does everyone who lives there keep their RV? I am looking to buy a House, not a condo, and trying to stay away from communities to avoid Do's and Don't's
Old 02-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #2

Sorry to pass on what I know about Central Florida Wicked1....MANY communities down here are "Deed Restricted" with Homeowners Associations. Typically NONE of them permit trailer/boat storage at your home and at best SOME permit it only if completely hidden behind a fence. I know of at least 1 place down around the Disney area that is tailored towards RV folks and they have garages that are large enough to park a reasonable sized rig in, but that is not typical. Unfortunately the normal storage is on a Boat/RV trailer lot somewhere and the current typical rate, outside and uncovered is somewhere around a $60-$100 per month at least in Central Florida. I know there used to be one inside/covered storage place in town...but it carried a premium price tag. I know nothing about the Cape Coral area, but would believe on what I have seen in my travels around the state that conditions and restrictions must be about the same...hit or miss on being able to find a NON-HOA place to live where you can park what you want...

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:19 AM   #3

I would call Cape Coral southwest Florida, but [ebemis] is correct. Florida loves HOAs to shift infrastructure maintenance costs from the county to the owners. We are restricted to having the trailer in the street for no more than 12 hours per day and any trailer has to fit in your garage.

We just bought a place with no HOA and enough room for our 5er after our HOA-controlled house became problematic. Several of our new neighbors have trailers/Class "A"s sitting on their properties. Our former storage lot was in Christmas, FL and was charging $58/month for a fenced stone surface lot.

Wikipedia describes Cape Coral as "Founded in 1957 and developed as a master-planned, pre-platted community" which means it is likely restricted.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #4

Deed restrictions are available online on the State of Florida, at least for newer communities. The department that handles them just posts the scanned documents. If an older community ever files covenant revisions, they have to post the entire document anew, I believe.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:02 AM   #5

Cape Coral is Southwest Florida ( Coral Springs is Southeast Florida ) but in either place you would need to stay away from deed restricted subdivisions that prohibit RV parking. Some Florida incorporated cities also have RV restrictions. The further away you are from the urban areas, the more likely you can park an RV on your property.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #6

I'm exploring areas in Florida and have found that maybe its easier to find less restricted communities as you move off the coasts and in rural areas like Lake City and maybe the Moore Haven area. I know. I'd rather be on the coast also.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
Old Fella

We live in Ft Myers next to Cape Coral, in a restricted HOA and we have to store our Roo about four miles away. There is areas around FM that are unincorporated and you're able to keep your trailers at the house. You have to search accordingly and of course with enough cash you can find what you want.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Aussiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #8

We are in Daytona Beach in a HOA deed restricted community. We pay $85 a month to store our Rv in a secure area nearby. There are several closr by that would be less, but I like the security. There are older communities they storage is allowed at the home as mentioned earlier. There are also small acreages nearby, old and new, that do not have restrictions. If I were moving to Florida again, that would be my first choice.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #9

I was looking at Cape Coral or Orlando
Old 04-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #10

You will need to look at subdivisions that are not deed restricted or have HOA's. Florida is a very diverse state. It's not all beach and Disney World. Most of the state is rural. We live on eleven acres and have no issues with our TT or tractor, visiting daughter with her family's ATV, etc. Some communities do have space for their residents to store their boats and TT's. You just need to be specific with your realtor.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #11

HOA's are a pain in the @$$. I would find it so difficult to give up so much of my personal freedom over to others to decide. They seem to control everything. Heck, many will not even let you fly the American flag. That is disgusting.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #12

An HOA is a voluntary contract among property owners in a neighborhood. The purpose is to agree to keep your house maintenance up and conform to agreed-upon standards of appearance. The do result in increased property values.

If you don't like the rules imposed by the agreement you can choose not to participate in the HOA by choosing not to buy a house in that neighborhood. Many people make that decision. Others like the fact that the HOA board gets to argue with the lazy neighbor about not mowing the yard, rather than having an eyesore, or them trying to convince the neighbor themselves.

Some boards are run by near-nazis. That what elections are for.

Edit: An HOA cannot prevent you from flying an American flag. That's a violation of many laws. What they can do is prevent you from flying one that's out of scale to the size of your house.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #13

A lot of gated communitys like mine provide a gated and secure rv lot at no additional cost to thier common chges.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #14
Roy

Was in Cape Coral last week to purchase a tow bar from a RVer. As we travelled down the road in the subdivision we definitely saw many rv's parked beside homes and in driveways. Don't know if this is indicative of all Cape Coral since this was our first visit.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote