Old 07-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
This is what I do.

Starting with all lines and hot water tank empty (and elements off), and while wearing old clothes (don't ask me how I know ) I pour 1/4 cup bleach into a milk jug and mix. Pour that mix into an already partially filled water tank via a funnel and hose. I use 1 of these mixes per 15 gallons of water, so a 30 gallon tank will take 2 mixes. I fill up the tank to overflow, and drive the camper around the block to slosh everything around good. The I cut on the water pump, and open all of the hot water faucets until I smell bleach from every faucet. I then close the hot water off, and do the same with the cold water. I then have lunch.....in other words, I wait a little while. I then open all bottom drains, and drain the system as best as possible. At this time, I do not pull the bottom plug from the hot water heater drain.....I don't want that solution down the side of my camper. I then refill the fresh water tank, and drive around the block again. Then I again pump water througn all of my lines, and really a lot through the hot water system to help dilute the water heater. Again, drain all of the low point drains, and this time I also drain the water heater. Close the drains, and repeat at least 1 more time. I still might have a slight chlorine taste and smell, but no more than a municipal water system.

Be sure there is no pressure on your system when you pull the bottom drain plug on the water heater.....you can get plenty wet without pressure. Also, flip the pressure relief valve open at the top to let some air in the tank for quicker draining.
Great directions! ...except for one little thing...
I finally got around to doing it today, and wondered why I wasn't smelling chlorine when I was running the faucets. Then I dawned on me: THE FILTER!!! Released the pressure, unscrewed the holder and removed the cartridge and put the holder back. SUCCESS! Chlorine smell!

Old 08-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #12

Stowing fold-out beds

Does anybody have any secret way to stow (fold) the front bed?

Mine sticks out into the trailer interior and the support bow gets in the way of the flip-over couch opening.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tom View Post
Great directions! ...except for one little thing...
I finally got around to doing it today, and wondered why I wasn't smelling chlorine when I was running the faucets. Then I dawned on me: THE FILTER!!! Released the pressure, unscrewed the holder and removed the cartridge and put the holder back. SUCCESS! Chlorine smell!
MY BAD !!!

Please add that to my directions. I usually do the sterilization every spring after winterization, starting with the filter canister empty.

Sorry about that. Glad you figured it out.

I am going to edit the post to include that step.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shamrock