Old 04-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #1

New Hybrid bed canvas design

Hello all...new here and looking to buy a Shamrock 17. I've noticed at my local dealer they have two 17's model yr 2012. The difference on the showroom vs lot one is that it has a pass though front storage and the bed design doesn't have a flap. It looks much cleaner but it seems like it may gather water where the fold down meets the canvas. Does anyone have any thoughts on the new design?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

do both have the pre-attached canvas or is one pre-attached and the other has snaps and bungees?

i heard that the first ones with the pre-attached canvas, didn't have a skirt and FR is now adding one.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

Yeah, this one has about a 2" beveled end, no flap, no bungee. It looks great but seems like water would find its way underneath. Do you know if the flap they are putting on is a recall or are they just changing the design back on other models? Not sure how they would add a flap at this stage without just moving the issue up the side. I wish it would work as it sure looked clean and nice.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

don't think it's a recall, just a design change. it's not a safety issue so doubt it will be a recall unless the lack of a skirt causes issues.

again, don't know if it is an actual change just seem to remember someone talking about it.

i'm going to move this thread into the Expandable/Hybrid section, since it's not a General Tech/Repair subject but specific to hybrids.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #5

Does the one with the flap also have the non attached bunks and require a bungee? If so, it is probabley an early model 2012 before they started attaching the bunks. We purchased a new 2012 Roo 19 (same a Shamrock) in Nov. which had the bungee/flap bunk ends. When we went to pick it up there was water leaking through the front bunk end. It was returned to FR for repair and they replaced both front aned rear bunkends with the new attached/no flap design. We are much hapier with this design and so far no leaks!

Concerning the water sitting on the ledge,I had the same concern, but it seems the design allows the water to run off the bottom of the bunkend by the hinge when you close up the bunkend. Also, I plan on wiping off the ledge each time we close up just to make sure none could find its way into the camper.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

Cincy6, pics of your canvas setup would help a lot in seeing how it attaches.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #7

Seeing whereas you are describing what my Roo has (2012.5 model), I know what you are all talking about. Because I live where it rarely rains, My Roo hasn't seen a BUNCH of rain, but it we have experienced downpours at least two or three times.

The attached bunk end canvas is nothing more than the ends of the canvas secured with glue into a "U" shaped groove. As far as leaking, the design seems to work pretty well, and we haven't had any problems. Hopefully the design will pass the test of time.

We like the convenience of opening and nothing more to do than set the interior stay and bedding. I know that some people like the access the open bungee style affords, and honestly, either design would have worked for us. We expected to have the bungee style but were surprised with the changes our 2012.5 came with.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Cincy6, pics of your canvas setup would help a lot in seeing how it attaches.
I don't have my unit avail.for a pic now, but found these 2 stock pics on google. Both are 2012 Roos. The first has the earlier bungee/flap design and the second has the newer attached design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roopic2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	12212  
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Not to further confuse matters, but I believe the recent history of changes to the Roo/Shamrock hybrid bunk ends is as follows...

Pre-2011 and early 2012 had a bungee & snap configuration. These have flaps.
Late 2012 models are attached bunk ends with no flap.
2013 seems to have added flaps to the attached bunk ends (similar to some other hybrid manufacturers).

The reason I mention this is because (apparently) Rockwood/Flagstaff decided that their first version of the attached bunk ends (2012 1/2) needed the flaps.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

Triguy, i thought someone mentioned that before, but couldn't remember who and when.

Tags
bed