Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Site Team

new Roo/Shamrock bunk latch system

i went and looked at the new latch system at our local Roo dealer.

my opinion is that it is simply a latch system for the "vertically-challenged".
there doesn't appear to be any other advantages to it other than not needing to reach up high to close the latch.
it doesn't close the bunk doors any differently than the cargo latch system.

i would've liked to see FR change it to the style that Keystone puts on their Passport hybrids. i think it's a better latching system, especially for sealing the bunk door closed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That's interesting. I'll stop by one of our two Roo/Shamrock dealers to take a look. I'm not sure we have any Keystone places close by for comparison, which is too bad because I'd like to take a look at what they have.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #3

Here is what they look like. I take delivery Monday but this is a picture of my unit. I hope these new latches work well, I know it will help my wife if she ever needs to open or close the bunks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gibbs 002.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	28945  
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #4

Unfortunately, I can not say I am a huge fan of the latch system. The levers are plastic and it seems that it will not hold up to long term use. It does hold ok and it is nice being able to open bunks without reaching up so high but I am not a fan of plastic parts like this.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #5

2014 Roo latch system

New to this site so hello to all. We purchased a 2013 Roo 233S a few Months ago and 4 days later one of our beautiful pine tree's decided to break apart and completely crush it...my luck. The good news is that it was covered by insurance and we received a 2014 as a replacement. We love it but.....I hate the new latch system. It broke when the dealer showed us how good they work and I foresee them breaking many more times. Forrest River needs to start making the top top latch out of metal. The plastic just will not last especially when only one person is attempting to close the hatch. Anyone else see these as a problem? The older system may have been hard to reach but they certainly were strong and would last forever.
theroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #6

This is what I expected. Sorry yours have already broke. I have not broke mine yet but I am assuming once they bake in the sun they will become brittle and break at an inconvenient time.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Old 07-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #7

We just took delivery of a 2014 Shamrock, and yes we to have that latch system, in fact when we were taking delivery the guy thought something was wrong with it, but no that is how it works. On ours it looks the the "c"hook does not completely grab the bar. He assured us it was correct. Well fingers crossed.

The Happy Campers
Gary
Erin (the wife)
Nick (the dog)
and sometimes the M-I-L
Reynolds551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #8

I really want to post this picture of our bunk end latch. As Im new to the forum I am having a struggle getting my photo to sync. OK got the photo uploaded but it is sideways. But I think you can see clearly that the latch does not go completely around . The top of the latch is to the left and bottom to the right. I am really looking for someone at Forest River directly to assure me that this is correct.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo-11.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	35993  

The Happy Campers
Gary
Erin (the wife)
Nick (the dog)
and sometimes the M-I-L
Old 07-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #9

anxious to hear what you think of the new latch system?

The Happy Campers
Gary
Erin (the wife)
Nick (the dog)
and sometimes the M-I-L
Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
Site Team

" I am really looking for someone at Forest River directly to assure me that this is correct."

not sure who that would be, since this is not an official FR site and there's no factory rep for any of the FR hybrids, that posts here.

you might want to contact a FR rep for the Roo/Shamrock line and send them this pic.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #11

Picked up my Shamrock a few days ago. My bunk end latch connects the same. I agree that it seems the bar should be more in the middle of the C Hook.
giblinjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

What exactly prevents the latch from going down farther? Not being familiar with this, could the pin not be moved up or the latch lowered or both? Would have to make a plate to cover the old holes and include the new mounting location.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo-11.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	36022  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
What exactly prevents the latch from going down farther? Not being familiar with this, could the pin not be moved up or the latch lowered or both? Would have to make a plate to cover the old holes and include the new mounting location.
There are two screws with a square head on the "hook". Unscrew those and the hook should move down the channel should move down a bit for adjustment.

In the pictures on this thread you wan to adjust with the square head screw that is shown.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #14

Reynolds,
I have the new latch system as well....and it looks as yours does in the pic. Not saying its right but at least they are the same!

When I first closed the bunk I thought something was wrong, they look like it should close around the pin.
Scottnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #15

Read my post Scott. This is not the norm as my latches look nothing like this. You can clearly see the system is on a slide!

Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #16

I would like to add that prior to leaving our dealer, he did try to adjust the latches and it did nothing. So even though you can unscrew the screws, it made no difference. So I just hope FR knows what they have given us. Two trips out and so far so good.

The Happy Campers
Gary
Erin (the wife)
Nick (the dog)
and sometimes the M-I-L
Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #17

It looks to be that the latch is on a threaded rod.

Note: I have not had to remove mine or adjust them, but there has to be a way to adjust them besides drilling new holes in the bunk end...

Old 07-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #18
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroo2 View Post
Forrest(sic) River needs to start making the top top latch out of metal. The plastic just will not last...
Don't hold your breath. I bet this part is made by LCI (Lippert).
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:46 AM   #19

Kind of reviving a dead thread, but this one fit the best. I just bought a 2014 Roo 21SS (wanna buy a '97 popup?), and one of the front latches is broken at the bottom handle. I can work it manually and it still works, but I would sure like to replace the part. Any leads on finding replacement pieces? FWIW, my 2014 Roo was built in May 2013 so is now 9 years old, and the plastic latches are (mostly) surviving well.
artwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwolf View Post
Kind of reviving a dead thread, but this one fit the best. I just bought a 2014 Roo 21SS (wanna buy a '97 popup?), and one of the front latches is broken at the bottom handle. I can work it manually and it still works, but I would sure like to replace the part. Any leads on finding replacement pieces? FWIW, my 2014 Roo was built in May 2013 so is now 9 years old, and the plastic latches are (mostly) surviving well.

The latches are called Roto-Vise. I think that they are made by KenCon. I would check with them (KenCon.us)
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote