Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2015, 12:56 AM   #1
Engineer of Crazy Train

Overnighting En-route in a Hybrid

Well, my final decision on which camper I want comes down to overnighting. I know that a hybrid is not optimal for it, but does anyone do it frequently? We are planning on several long trips where we want to stop halfway for sleep. We will be testing this situation this spring when heading to Cedar Point for Coastermania. I love the hybrids, but am thinking if it will be too much of a PITA to setup a bunk or two (w/o PUGs) of a 233S just to rest up in a Walmart, Camping World, Etc parking lot.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:01 AM   #2
Always Learning

What is involved in deploying a bunk with a hybrid?

We did our slides without issue, but they're simply holding a switch. (Well, except when the slide jams and then you have to use its manual override which is push like a m'effer.)
Old 01-18-2015, 05:11 AM   #3

Well, you probably DON'T want to extend your slides or put out your bunk ends if you are just "resting" or overnighting in a Wally world parking lot.

We were a family of 4 when we had our HTT, but we turtled in it several times enroute to different places. Our children were small and we packed everything underneath the dinette in rubbermaid totes and left the bed available to resting. All 4 of us piled into the bed, slept and the girls thought it was great.

Now, if your kids are older, it probably would not be feasible, but at the time, ours were 2 and 5 and slept with us, on occasion, anyway. It was just another adventure.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

Doug, the new Roos are much easier, as the canvas is attached to the bed door. So my test with my Hybrid will be a bit flawed as the new ones are easier. But, the new Roos require you to just unlock, open, unfold the U shaped rod, and insert the center support rod.

Merry, I can't see on a 233S, our family not being able to sleep without deploying the slide at minimum. That will take setting up the table, couch, and air mattresses on the floor. But, we would have to see if there is still room. I am seeing having to maybe setup one bed,and that wpuld be for myself.

Also, I would like to avoid Wally Worlds. That is why my first trip, I planned on Camping World.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 01-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Doug, the new Roos are much easier, as the canvas is attached to the bed door. So my test with my Hybrid will be a bit flawed as the new ones are easier. But, the new Roos require you to just unlock, open, unfold the U shaped rod, and insert the center support rod.

Merry, I can't see on a 233S, our family not being able to sleep without deploying the slide at minimum. That will take setting up the table, couch, and air mattresses on the floor. But, we would have to see if there is still room. I am seeing having to maybe setup one bed,and that wpuld be for myself.

Also, I would like to avoid Wally Worlds. That is why my first trip, I planned on Camping World.

For my camper, I "need" the slides out to use it comfortably. To get around the kitchen/living area, the main slide goes out. To get into the bunkhouse at all- one of the slides has to go out.

I just parked where I was away from folks and put them out. Make sure it doesn't overhang a drive area of the parking lot. If possible, do it over grass.

But, as long as you're ok with the "work" of deploying the bunks and it doesn't sound like much- I don't see an issue.

(And now, to answer a question that you didn't ask-)
As for Camping World; I've gotten mixed messages when I call them. In Tallahassee, they were welcoming. They had water and electric hookups - I only used the electric as it was the middle of summer and freakishly hot out. But in Fayetteville, NC - I called before hand and the service person said they had service spots; if no one was using them then I was welcome to park there. She just recommended that I call that day. I called just after the service dept closed (because I'm forgetful ) and the person I spoke with was adamant that they were service spots and only for service customers. So we headed on down the road and did our first Walmart overnighting.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For my camper, I "need" the slides out to use it comfortably. To get around the kitchen/living area, the main slide goes out. To get into the bunkhouse at all- one of the slides has to go out.

I just parked where I was away from folks and put them out. Make sure it doesn't overhang a drive area of the parking lot. If possible, do it over grass.

But, as long as you're ok with the "work" of deploying the bunks and it doesn't sound like much- I don't see an issue.

(And now, to answer a question that you didn't ask-)
As for Camping World; I've gotten mixed messages when I call them. In Tallahassee, they were welcoming. They had water and electric hookups - I only used the electric as it was the middle of summer and freakishly hot out. But in Fayetteville, NC - I called before hand and the service person said they had service spots; if no one was using them then I was welcome to park there. She just recommended that I call that day. I called just after the service dept closed (because I'm forgetful ) and the person I spoke with was adamant that they were service spots and only for service customers. So we headed on down the road and did our first Walmart overnighting.
Good tip for calling ahead. We are planning on Syracuse, NY, since it is approximately halfway. On the way back, since we are leaving later, I am thinking Hamburg, NY, about 1/3 of the way home.

EDIT:
Checking the various CW sites, Hamburg does NOT list overnight parking...so it looks like a change in plans.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 01-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Good tip for calling ahead. We are planning on Syracuse, NY, since it is approximately halfway. On the way back, since we are leaving later, I am thinking Hamburg, NY, about 1/3 of the way home.

EDIT:
Checking the various CW sites, Hamburg does NOT list overnight parking...so it looks like a change in plans.

Call 'em anyway. They may be willing to let you but not advertise it.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #8

Are you talking about slides or pulling out the beds to set up the tent area? We used to have a pop-up and it was no big deal to pull out the beds for the night. We just did the minimal set-up needed to get to bed and back on the road in the morning. No food prep. Food was purchased on the road when traveling.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #9

We love the hybrid for the couple of sleeping options it offers. It doesn't take long to open both ends, just a minute or two. We have opened one end and someone sleep on the sofa bed with air mattress which is very comfortable. If it was really, really cold then we left the ends up and slept on the sofa or table bed and been very comfortable.
Richbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #10

My concern would be with security, easy access when you are all asleep. Bad people exist everywhere. Are state park campgrounds an option on your route, in Ohio they are affordable. Have fun at the point, it is a blast. Have you ever stayed at the Breakers Hotel on the lake front? Easy, early access to the park, but for that event it might be sold out already.
2003 GMC 1500HD 4X4 6.0 3:73 Diablo tuner
mattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #11

When traveling through NH we asked a motel owner if we could set up in the back parking lot. They were more then happy to allow us. They did ask that we use the restaurant for breakfast. We used it for dinner and breakfast. The owners took us to the back and showed us where to park. They even gave us a parking spot that had 15 amp hydro.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb View Post
My concern would be with security, easy access when you are all asleep. Bad people exist everywhere. Are state park campgrounds an option on your route, in Ohio they are affordable. Have fun at the point, it is a blast. Have you ever stayed at the Breakers Hotel on the lake front? Easy, early access to the park, but for that event it might be sold out already.

The should you/shouldn't you side to overnighting has been beaten to death. Let's let that dog lie.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
When traveling through NH we asked a motel owner if we could set up in the back parking lot. They were more then happy to allow us. They did ask that we use the restaurant for breakfast. We used it for dinner and breakfast. The owners took us to the back and showed us where to park. They even gave us a parking spot that had 15 amp hydro.

That's pretty cool. I've used hotels while traveling with the camper but stayed *in* the hotel and just used a bunch of parking spaces. I did make sure to ask the clerk at the front desk where they preferred that I parked- one did, one didn't.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #14

It was a long weekend and all the CG in the area were full plus the motel had no vacancies. They were great people forgot the name of the small village but was near the Santa Village.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #15

Choochooman: I think it may come down to how much room you've got when closed up and how many (and how old) you're trying to sleep. The DW and I have turtled a few times in our Roo 19, but it's only the two of us. We put one of the mattresses across the folded down dinette and the jackknife sofa. Works just fine. But if I had kids, I'd have no real place to put them, except on the floor, which would impact using the bathroom. Since you're looking at a 233S, I'm assuming you've got kids, and it doesn't look like the dinette and sofa are lined up together, so I don't think you could do what we do. I can't see 2 adults on the U-dinette alone, OR the sofa.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #16
Engineer of Crazy Train

It is basically 3 adults and 1 kid (2 when we get the truck, as we promised the little one she can bring a friend when we get the room). So, no matter what, we need to open at least one bunk.

Security is not a concern. If it was, I wouldn't own a camper. Not sure what my concerns are. Noise? Was hoping to hear other people's experiences overnighting in parking lots in hybrids.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 01-18-2015, 08:11 PM   #17

Our 233s is super easy to set up

Noob here but our 2015 Shamrock 233s is a breeze to set up the bunks. 1 man/woman job (although everyone helps). I think I would extend the slideout if I were boondocking it, though.
Nights Camped: NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:45 PM   #18
Take The Road Less Travld

I bought the hybrid as it was easier to setup in a Parking lot or mid way stop when traveling. Not that I really planned but when the TV broke down, I fully setup in the repair parking lot for 24 hours. They were nice enough to lend me an over night power cable.
We planned on going to Florida with a couple stops in between. After having the trailer it's been easy to setup and break down in record time. Even a quick stop to eat at the rest stop was nice.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #19
Engineer of Crazy Train

Talked it over with the DGF, and we are still on the fence. Going to see what happens this summer when we overnight on our coaster trips. Either way, when I order the TV this fall, it will be capable to tow either the HTT or a regular TT.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 01-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #20

Security could be a concern. But some campgrounds along side highways could also be a cause for concern......easy in and a fast getaway.
Richbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid