Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #1

Pending New Owner

Hello all, We are teetering on
the edge of buying a 21DK model, love the floor plan, and having only put eyes on 2 (rare as hens teeth in the SE), I figured I would join on here and look around and ask a few questions...
About us, only have about 42 years of camping experience, 30 of that with the Wife, gone thru 4 pop-ups and several tents. We once lived in a single wide tin box trailer, so there is no way I can camp in one.... 1st seen a Hybrid about 5 years ago and the wife said WANT! The best of both worlds, and we were looking forward to a Grandson to take camping.... Picked up a used Antiqua...nice camper but has some water damage and we are making due, but after 3 years we are seeing its short coming and started researching for another hybrid. Must haves are, Tub, slide, plenty of storage, curved roof. out of all the models we have viewed, Solaire 199X and the 21DK appear to be the only campers to fit. (21BD also but done want the bed.
Can anyone give me any pros or cons on the newer designs of these campers? Warrantee work issues?
Opinions on the bonded windows?
Any issues with the new latches? nice idea but felt flimsy build.
Thanks Darrin
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #2

We have a different model. I liked the 23ss. Wife liked the 23ikss. So we got the ik. No surprise there. So far no problem with the latches, or anything else for that matter. Easy to pull, easy to set up , easy to tear down. Pull the trigger.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #3

LMAO....Just got of the phone with the salesman....he is holding it pending loan info for us...And its a model at there other place 2 hours from here....
Old 04-04-2015, 02:47 AM   #4

The biggest downside to the 21dk that we could see is the lack of outside storage.

We still ordered one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #5

We are debating removing the outside fridge for more, but its still has twice what we have now....and better than 4X inside....
Old 04-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #6

We did it!!!!!
We are no longer pending...Our 21DK Saphire is getting its PDI and we get our walkthrough Monday and camp that night there so we will have about 36 hours in it to go over everything before bring her home...next trip is in 2 weeks..
Old 04-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #7

Congrats!

Old 04-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #8

Congrats on your new HTT. I traded a Travelstar (similar to the Antigua) in for the Roo last year. No issues with the Travelstar (my fault, showed DW the 23ikss floorplan and off to the dealer we went).
Old 04-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetavon View Post
We are debating removing the outside fridge for more.
That was the very first mod I did on my 21DK. The fridge went to college with my freshman DS. The interior fridge is more than adequate for our needs and far larger than anything we had in the past. It also frees up a 120v outlet accessible from inside the storage space.

I can walk 10 feet to get a beer. If I really want ice-cold beer outside, nothing beats an ice chest.
Be aware that the interior walls of the storage are the opposite side of the flimsy paneling seen inside the trailer. If you store something heavy that's unstable, it could bounce around while traveling and break through. I haven't, but am considering lining the interior with 1/4" plywood for a little added strength without much added weight.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #10

Got it home and set up, and its rained on it ever since, had some minor leak on the rear bunk the 1st night, not sure if its the seams needing swelling or the fans pulling water under the tent attachment.(why no skirt on them anyway), but remained dry last night. some electronic issues with the entertainment system but otherwise everything else seems good.
Its hard to believe that with all the storage room in this camper...There is still unused wasted space hidden in several places...
Old 04-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetavon View Post
LMAO....Just got of the phone with the salesman....he is holding it pending loan info for us...And its a model at there other place 2 hours from here....

Just drove from NJ to VA 6 hours each way to get our Roo 23IKSS they gave us the best deal on a trade and new 2015 unit plus has all the options we want, used McGeorge's RV in Ashland VA

2014 Ford F-150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB 3.5

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 05-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #12

We also used McGeorges in Ashland, Va and were very pleased. We bought our camper sight unseen(never having been inside this model before). We knew we wanted the 21BD, mainly because of the front deck. Since it is the 2 of us and 2 big dogs we needed open space inside but didn't really see the need to have both a dinette and couch. We drove from Md so it wasn't quite as far. This is our first new camper. Looking forward to our first trip.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
We also used McGeorges in Ashland, Va and were very pleased. We bought our camper sight unseen(never having been inside this model before). We knew we wanted the 21BD, mainly because of the front deck. Since it is the 2 of us and 2 big dogs we needed open space inside but didn't really see the need to have both a dinette and couch. We drove from Md so it wasn't quite as far. This is our first new camper. Looking forward to our first trip.

They have been good to us even after we brought it home, so far I love this one and we did the same thing sight unseen, they started with 8 like ours then when they were down to 4 we had to pull the trigger too long to wait for the season if I ordered one. The plus factor is it is a FR product and dealer is huge so they are helpful and we got every option in ours but 15K btu A/C and no stainless steel appliances, but has everything else Rockwood offers for this model for $2-3K less then dealers around us in NJ

2014 Ford F-150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB 3.5 Twin Turbo

2015 Roo 23IKSS Saphire
2015 (3) Nights Camped