Old 01-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #1

Please help with hitch selection

I have a 2010 Tundra and will be purchasing a 2016 Roo 23DS. Do I need a 2 or 4 point hitch? Will the extra weight of the 4 point WDH hitch offset any advantage to redistributing the weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Pill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #2

We currently use an Equalizer 4 point hitch to tow our Rockwood Windjammer 3029w. It performs beautifully, but is very heavy. I would consider the Anderson WDH on your trailer as it is much lighter and has a very innovative design. I am so impressed with the Anderson hitch that I might switch with my Equalizer just because of the weight and the ease of unhooking.

GaryHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Buy the 4pt., it's not that much more.
Buy from RVW, best price and free shipping.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #4

Another vote for the Andersen. Great hitch that is the lightest on the market with its design as well as being extremely quiet, greasless ball, no adjust backing up and easy setup. I have an Equal-i-zer hitch as well and prefer the Andersen due to these reasons although both perform extremely well!
Mikewcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #5

I am running a Trekker by Eaz-Lift WDH on my 2010 F150 pulling a Roo 23 IKSS. Could not be happier. No sway whatsoever, nice level setup and no disconnecting to back up. I like that it does not use chains so it is very quiet. Also, you can disengage the sway component if you want without taking anything off. It has these large bolts/caps to turn the sway on and off. I will loosen them for very tight turns when backing.

I did a 5000 mile trip last summer with no problems on freeway or mountains. Hitch weight about 600#, trailer weight about 6000#, truck capacity - tow 9800#, tongue wt. 1200#.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHowe View Post
We currently use an Equalizer 4 point hitch to tow our Rockwood Windjammer 3029w. It performs beautifully, but is very heavy. I would consider the Anderson WDH on your trailer as it is much lighter and has a very innovative design. I am so impressed with the Anderson hitch that I might switch with my Equalizer just because of the weight and the ease of unhooking.
We have used the Andersen and would not recommend for heavy TT and 1\2 ton trucks. We had to swap it out for the blue ox to be comfortable driving. That being said it does work well with smaller units. Its easy to store, hitch\unhitch and adjust.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #7

I have a 19' Cherokee 19RR and just ordered the Fastway Trunnion for an 800# tongue weight and 8000# trailer. Best price I could find was Amazon @ $353

I towed this trailer for a year without a WD hitch and it was fine. But I figured it couldn't hurt to use a WD hitch with some type of sway control as I head out west this year.
Rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #8

I appreciate all the feedback so far. Would love to hear more.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:58 PM   #9

Uhdah camping I am curious to know the problems you had with the Anderson? What was your tow vehicle and trailer you were using it on. This is the first I've heard of someone complaining about the Andersen. I use a Ram 1500 1/2 ton with the 23ikss and the hitch is great. Just as good as the equalizer that I used to use. Thanks.
Mikewcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewcrook View Post
Uhdah camping I am curious to know the problems you had with the Anderson? What was your tow vehicle and trailer you were using it on. This is the first I've heard of someone complaining about the Andersen. I use a Ram 1500 1/2 ton with the 23ikss and the hitch is great. Just as good as the equalizer that I used to use. Thanks.

mikewcrook,

So you have towed the exact same combo with both hitches? Roughly how much do both hitches weigh? I'm finding misleading info on the Internet. Is the Anderson just better because it is lighter/cheaper or better performance? Thanks for the assistance.

Tags
hitch, select