Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #1

Popup vinyl tent material vs hybrid bunk ends

Does anybody know if the bunk end vinyl material is the same on both units? I find it interesting that the owners manual for the popups recommend sealing the seams beginning of each year, even after seasoning.
The owners manual for the hybrid is the usual travel trailer manual. The tags that were in the bunk end regarding wetting the bunk ends a couple times and maintenance make no mention of sealing the seams. Just wondering if sealing seams with a good sealer may help on the hybrid bunk ends as a precaution.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Take The Road Less Travld

I have a Rockwood Roo 2013 model. my bunk ends said that they did need to be sealed in the manual. I also owned a rockwood pop up and it mentioned the same thing. I'm going to assume that they are the same material.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #3

Thanks Muddauber, think I will go ahead and use the seam sealer. Haven't had any leaks, but it can't hurt to try it.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #4

How are you suppose to seal the seams I have a 2014 jayco x17z which has bunks on either side

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Jsusluvsyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #5

Sealing bunk ends

There were different recommendations from Palomino for my Solaire. What I found worked best for me is Kiwi Sealer. There are different brands but I found this to be the best. It used to be sold under the Scotch Guard Brand. I buy it a True Value Hardware stores. Their sealer doesn't work but this brand does.
Remember when you are camping to keep the ends open a little so there is adequate air flow from one end to the other. If you don't you will have condensation. I do this even if it is raining out. For my old pop-up Palomino recommended Scotch Guard and keeping the ends open a little.
DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:19 PM   #6

Having had both popups and a hybrid I can tell you different manufacturers use different materials and often change the materials over the manufacturing life of models! Our last popup was 90s-era Coleman popup with Sunbrella tent sides and Seamark tent roof panels - that tenting was absolutely indestructible, never leaked at all, and cleaned beautifully with Ivory dish detergent! Our hybrid was a Shamrock 21ss - sister to your Roo. Forest River recommends you NOT seal the seams due to the thread material they use. In 8 years of camping in our 21ss, including weathering a tropical storm (!) never a leak from the tent ends!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid, pop up