Old 07-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #11
Originally Posted by itat View Post
While I don't disagree with much of this, I do strongly disagree with "Jayco, in my opinion, is the Lexus". There's no comparison between a luxury Japanese car and any RV unless you want to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars. I've seen quite a few Jayco's and I'll take a FR Rockwood any day over a Jayco. So, in my opinion, Jayco isn't even a top quality RV much less comparable to a Lexus.

I've had 3 campers and didn't buy any of them new. I've had reasonable success letting someone else take the depreciation hit and work out the kinks before I get it. YMMV.
Ditto. If you take a loan, you can't pay it down as fast as the depreciation "pays it down". I get them about three or four years old and they are generally fine unless they have been lived. People often buy new and use them five or six trips the first year, then less and less until they wonder why it's sitting in the yard. By that time most of the inevitable problems have been repaired.

I got my current Forest River Cardinal (owned two now) at three years old. It was $62k new and I paid $25k on a short sale.

It had a few issues but not $37k worth.

Just say'.

2001 Asics Split Second Wrestling Shoes
38 ft square Dollamaur High School Wrestling Mat
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #12
Build quality

The unfortunate reality is that most of America's rv's are built somewhere in Indiana by a bunch of sloppy idiots...and they are total crap. Crawl underneath your camper...look at the wire connectors on your electric brakes...dollars to donuts there won't be butt connectors...just cheap pressure clamp pieces of junk. Pull out your drawers and look behind them...piles of sawdust and loose and missing plastic fittings Chinese radios and DVD players...ill fitting components...confused wiring...stupid plumbing and gas line runs...crappy a/c ductwork...delamination issues...crummy tires...and on and on and on. And all over priced. You're not alone in your frustration. The RV industry is a mirror image of what the auto industry used to be at its worst....the difference being that the RV industry refuses to learn the lessons of manufacturing grossly inferior products. Again...sad but all too true. As I've commented before on this forum...I own a cruising sailboat...if my boat had been built to the same standards as that of my TT, it would have sunk at dock long ago. Good luck with your issues.

2012 Surveyor SP-240, Hobie Odyssey
Aspen 5.7L HEMI V8, Tekonsha P3
Blue Ox 1500 WDH with Sway Control
Barker 3500 Tongue Jack
DW & a feisty Border Terrier named Painter
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #13
Tommycin: Regarding your cooling issue, if your supply temps aren't getting much under 75 from a continuously running A/C then it does seem that you do have a problem with your A/C. However, I was curious about the 2 multispeed fans you were running. You're not referring to the fantastic fans are you? If those fans are operated with the A/C running you will be blowing conditioned air out of the trailer which will be replaced by hot, humid outside air being pulled inside (even with all of the windows and door shut). These fans pull a lot of air, even on low, and your A/C will not be able to keep up with this added heat load.

Was your Jayco an expandable or hard sided?

The tent ends do allow a lot of heat in the trailer especially when the sun is shining. I do not have PUGS or Reflectixs yet, but everyone who does this mod sings praises. I have pulled in one or both bunks in to help with cooling when temps are 90+.

I general I am very pleased with my Shamrock 23IKSS. I have had a couple problems that I have fixed myself. I think part of my satisfaction is based on my expectations going in. After looking at MANY (hundreds) TT's I saw first hand that build quality and QC were no where near autos or even residential construction. I saw some brand new units with broken or missing parts, leaks, delamination, shoddy rework, etc. I also read numerous forums that bemoaned build quality and problems. I think we all wish quality was better. I went into this with eyes-wide-open and fingers crossed and so far the experience has been extremely positive.
Steve, Barb, and 5 daughters who love to camp
2017 Shamrock 23IKSS, Yellow sticker: 5314 lbs, Equil-i-zer 4pt. 1,000/10,000
2006 Fleetwood (Coleman) Niagara: Sold!
2003 Suburban 1500 Z71, 5.3/3.73, airbags, LT tires, Big Brake Upgrade, Prodigy P2
Shamrockthecasbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #14
Moderators' Assistant
Apparently you didn't research much about the lack of quality control in the RV industry, for at least the past decade.

The Auto industry and the RV industry have very little in common, other than that they both sell things with wheels at dealerships.
Other than that, they couldn't be more different.

Comparing the two is an exercise in futility.

How was your PDI?
Did the dealer provide a thorough and complete one?
Some of these things should have been caught during it.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #15
Canadian Member
Originally Posted by tommycin View Post
It is at the Service Dept now getting the A/C looked at. I also just ordered the PUGs from the way, what a NICE guy. If your unit keeps it at 72 no problem mine definitly has a problem, unless the PUGS make that much of a difference (which I hope they do). I mentioned all of my issues hoping they get resolved. 2nd yr warranty?????
KMP44 provided an excellent post. The popup gizmos help tremendously with condensation when used with fans to keep the air moving inside. The Reflectix insulation will be of more help in maintaining temperature.

Here is a video showing how to use it.
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #16
Had one tent camper and will NEVER have another. For $15,000 I had a used truck camper with two slideouts that I used more often than ANY RV I ever had!
Blest with a Coachmen Prism 24G
I Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #17
We were surprised how little the air worked if it was truly hot outside, we got a 2016 Roo last summer. Our air is a13 btu, not 15, it might have been wiser to get a 15btu had I known. We had a pop up for 10 years prior, with tent ends, and that air conditioner could produce! I don't get it, but we still are very happy with our little 183!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #18
Use the Force Roo
Sorry to Hear about the issues...

Yikes... I can't imagine the aggravation you are going through... I bought my first 2000 Dutchmen Pop up used and had no problems. Then a 2006 Keystone and had problems with the furnace being installed improperly and filling up with water, then having the awning get blown up and over the roof by a wind gust, then the floor rotted out after 8 years of ownership...

I am curious to hear what happens with your issues. Dealers seem to have the WORST service and after they get your money, they could care less. My Wife drives Hondas, by the way and loves them for the last 15 years....

Hope it all works out...
Brian, Cheryl and Addison
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s
2010 Toyota Sequoia
Equalizer WDH 1000/10000 Prodigy 2 Brake

BGlickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #19
Wow, I think your experience is the exception rather than the norm. Sure, it is common to have some issues with a new RV, but not to the extent you've had. My post-PID woes amounted to exactly two drawers that won't stay closed. I'd be very upset, especially about the canvas separation. Someone could have been seriously hurt! I hope your issues are addressed quickly.
2016 Roo 21SS
2005 Ford Excursion-Sherman
Mods so far:
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #20
I am preparing to buy a new unit...I have been very concerned of all the issue you mentioned. IMO the laminated units will delaminate eventually. I have looked at several used units with delam issues. One was about a year old and had a LARGE 3 X 4 ft area in the middle of a wall that was bubbled. What a was a 70k unit. Scary. I read where parking in the sun does more delam damage than anything. I will definitely seek a stick and tin. There just aren't that many of them. Hello I am in NE Texas and SW Arkansas it is over 100 many days a year. I mostly won't figure on any warranty except maybe catastrophic. The rest I will fix myself.

totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote