X2
X3

2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
TST TPMS system w/ Flow-thru sensors
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:53 AM   #12

We do not leave the gas on. But we do not travel over 5 hours. The food stays cold.

I only know of 3-4 cases over the last 30 years that leaving the propane on caused a fire that burned up a RV. One time closed a tunnel for four months for repairs. One was at a flying J while the tow vehicle was refueling 10 plus years ago.

Having said that we mostly got in the habit of leaving it off due to the fact several tunnels on the coast require the propane to be off, and require you to stop for an inspection to make sure the propane if off.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:58 AM   #13

Majority of our trips are 2 hours driving or less, so we normally don't leave the propane on. If you precool the fridge for a day and put only cold items in it, they will be fine for a trip of several hours. Longer trips? Burn some gas.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #14

I personally don't leave it on since we pre-cool the fridge the day before and stock it with cold/frozen foods. There is never a problem in our 2-6 hour trips. That said, know the restrictions on the route you are taking. Most tunnels require the gas be off, some don't even allow bottles (I-895 Baltimore does not allow bottles over 10lbs). If you route allows it and you want to leave it on, have at it.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #15

I like cold beverages and frozen ice cream

Our Sunseeker stays hooked to shore power the entire time it is stored behind the pole barn. A couple days before we head out on an adventure, I turn the fridge on and set it to auto. It remains in auto until we return from that adventure and is back in its parking spot.

It's an "RV" folks, with an RV refrigerator. They have been designing these refrigerators for as long as they have been making RV's and they design them to be run while traveling, If they weren't designed as such, there would be "WARNING SIGNS" posted all over the refrigerator stating as such.

I read a comment on how one how one person has determined that it is unsafe to use them because of 3 incidents in TEN YEARS TIME... Do you have any idea how many MILLION MILES, RV'S, with propane fridges being run on propane, have traveled during those ten years?

An RV propane fridge is basically nothing more than a chimney with a coil located inside and a gas burner at the bottom.

It really makes me wonder how one can justify not running their fridge on propane while at the same time running that generator so the coach can be kept cool

Everyone has a right to decide whether they wish to keep their beer cold while driving in 100 degree temperatures.

I personally will keep my fridge on auto so my beverages stay cold and my ice cream stays frozen
Old 08-12-2016, 01:21 PM   #16

I leave it on but got to thinking when we pulled in to get gas that I should probably turn it off as the fridge box sits about 2' from the 2nd gas pump if I pull up to 1st one. Never worried about leaving it in may burn camper down but doubt an open flame at gas pumps is a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #17

I leave ours on. I see a lot of posts regarding only going short trip or less than x hours and the fridge stays cold fine. I always wonder if they have actually measured the temp. The reason I wonder is I had a trailer once that the flame for the fridge would keep getting blown out when traveling. The way I noticed was my fridge thermometer. When we were camping always below 40 degrees. When we traveled the temp would dgo up to 50 or more. I called Dometic and they sent me a baffle to block the wind from the flame. After installing no more temp problems.

Do yourself an experiment if you don't want to keep it on and measure the temp when you turn off the gas and see what it is when you get to your destination.

One other thing, the Dometic has fridge is not super efficient and it takes a long time to cool it down and it takes a long time to recover from being off

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #18
Site Team

Yes, and frig too.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #19
Site Team

I'll admit I used to......

......until I read about this in my neck of the woods a few years ago. Granted though, that this is a class B, and is in a lot closer proximity to the fueling, than a travel trailer would be. Class B's may have the warning sticker.

It sounds like it was a perfect storm.

Gas-station fire destroys Indiana couple’s RV | HoumaToday.com

Hypochondria is the only illness I don't have.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Our Sunseeker stays hooked to shore power the entire time it is stored behind the pole barn. A couple days before we head out on an adventure, I turn the fridge on and set it to auto. It remains in auto until we return from that adventure and is back in its parking spot.

It's an "RV" folks, with an RV refrigerator. They have been designing these refrigerators for as long as they have been making RV's and they design them to be run while traveling, If they weren't designed as such, there would be "WARNING SIGNS" posted all over the refrigerator stating as such.

I read a comment on how one how one person has determined that it is unsafe to use them because of 3 incidents in TEN YEARS TIME... Do you have any idea how many MILLION MILES, RV'S, with propane fridges being run on propane, have traveled during those ten years?

An RV propane fridge is basically nothing more than a chimney with a coil located inside and a gas burner at the bottom.

It really makes me wonder how one can justify not running their fridge on propane while at the same time running that generator so the coach can be kept cool

Everyone has a right to decide whether they wish to keep their beer cold while driving in 100 degree temperatures.

I personally will keep my fridge on auto so my beverages stay cold and my ice cream stays frozen
No one said anywhere on this posting that it was safe or unsafe.......Several of us just said we do not do it. ......And it is illegal to have the propane on in several of the mid Atlantic area tunnels. But I do everyday run into people doing what they thought was ok or safe but........... their families wish that they had not done what they did........................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, propane