Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #1

Propane gas

Do you leave gas on when traveling to destination?
Hackett5110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Yes
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #3

Ashamed to admit....2/3 of the time was on....it's a wonder it was the storm took it out first.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yes
Why leave it on?
Hackett5110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett5110 View Post
Why leave it on?
To keep fridge/freezer cold while on the road.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 08-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
Take The Road Less Travld

I leave mine on as well for one reason. It keeps the fridge cold while there is no power during travel. Many people say you should not do it, My question is, what do they do to keep their fold cole on a few hour trip or more? I don't see the issue with it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #7

We also leave it on propane when traveling. Always have, always will.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:22 AM   #8
Site Team

The majority of RVers do this and have no problems with it.
Do a search on any RV forum if you don't believe me.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:34 AM   #9

<----leaves it on for the refrigerator..

2016 nights camped = 17
2017 nights camped = 4
Chpusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chpusmc View Post
<----leaves it on for the refrigerator..

X2
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
X2
X3
Old 08-12-2016, 04:53 AM   #12

We do not leave the gas on. But we do not travel over 5 hours. The food stays cold.

I only know of 3-4 cases over the last 30 years that leaving the propane on caused a fire that burned up a RV. One time closed a tunnel for four months for repairs. One was at a flying J while the tow vehicle was refueling 10 plus years ago.

Having said that we mostly got in the habit of leaving it off due to the fact several tunnels on the coast require the propane to be off, and require you to stop for an inspection to make sure the propane if off.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:58 AM   #13

Majority of our trips are 2 hours driving or less, so we normally don't leave the propane on. If you precool the fridge for a day and put only cold items in it, they will be fine for a trip of several hours. Longer trips? Burn some gas.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:37 AM   #14

I personally don't leave it on since we pre-cool the fridge the day before and stock it with cold/frozen foods. There is never a problem in our 2-6 hour trips. That said, know the restrictions on the route you are taking. Most tunnels require the gas be off, some don't even allow bottles (I-895 Baltimore does not allow bottles over 10lbs). If you route allows it and you want to leave it on, have at it.
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:03 AM   #15

I like cold beverages and frozen ice cream

Our Sunseeker stays hooked to shore power the entire time it is stored behind the pole barn. A couple days before we head out on an adventure, I turn the fridge on and set it to auto. It remains in auto until we return from that adventure and is back in its parking spot.

It's an "RV" folks, with an RV refrigerator. They have been designing these refrigerators for as long as they have been making RV's and they design them to be run while traveling, If they weren't designed as such, there would be "WARNING SIGNS" posted all over the refrigerator stating as such.

I read a comment on how one how one person has determined that it is unsafe to use them because of 3 incidents in TEN YEARS TIME... Do you have any idea how many MILLION MILES, RV'S, with propane fridges being run on propane, have traveled during those ten years?

An RV propane fridge is basically nothing more than a chimney with a coil located inside and a gas burner at the bottom.

It really makes me wonder how one can justify not running their fridge on propane while at the same time running that generator so the coach can be kept cool

Everyone has a right to decide whether they wish to keep their beer cold while driving in 100 degree temperatures.

I personally will keep my fridge on auto so my beverages stay cold and my ice cream stays frozen
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #16

I leave it on but got to thinking when we pulled in to get gas that I should probably turn it off as the fridge box sits about 2' from the 2nd gas pump if I pull up to 1st one. Never worried about leaving it in may burn camper down but doubt an open flame at gas pumps is a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
thaithco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #17

I leave ours on. I see a lot of posts regarding only going short trip or less than x hours and the fridge stays cold fine. I always wonder if they have actually measured the temp. The reason I wonder is I had a trailer once that the flame for the fridge would keep getting blown out when traveling. The way I noticed was my fridge thermometer. When we were camping always below 40 degrees. When we traveled the temp would dgo up to 50 or more. I called Dometic and they sent me a baffle to block the wind from the flame. After installing no more temp problems.

Do yourself an experiment if you don't want to keep it on and measure the temp when you turn off the gas and see what it is when you get to your destination.

One other thing, the Dometic has fridge is not super efficient and it takes a long time to cool it down and it takes a long time to recover from being off

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #18
Site Team

Yes, and frig too.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #19
Site Team

I'll admit I used to......

......until I read about this in my neck of the woods a few years ago. Granted though, that this is a class B, and is in a lot closer proximity to the fueling, than a travel trailer would be. Class B's may have the warning sticker.

It sounds like it was a perfect storm.

Gas-station fire destroys Indiana couple’s RV | HoumaToday.com

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Our Sunseeker stays hooked to shore power the entire time it is stored behind the pole barn. A couple days before we head out on an adventure, I turn the fridge on and set it to auto. It remains in auto until we return from that adventure and is back in its parking spot.

It's an "RV" folks, with an RV refrigerator. They have been designing these refrigerators for as long as they have been making RV's and they design them to be run while traveling, If they weren't designed as such, there would be "WARNING SIGNS" posted all over the refrigerator stating as such.

I read a comment on how one how one person has determined that it is unsafe to use them because of 3 incidents in TEN YEARS TIME... Do you have any idea how many MILLION MILES, RV'S, with propane fridges being run on propane, have traveled during those ten years?

An RV propane fridge is basically nothing more than a chimney with a coil located inside and a gas burner at the bottom.

It really makes me wonder how one can justify not running their fridge on propane while at the same time running that generator so the coach can be kept cool

Everyone has a right to decide whether they wish to keep their beer cold while driving in 100 degree temperatures.

I personally will keep my fridge on auto so my beverages stay cold and my ice cream stays frozen
No one said anywhere on this posting that it was safe or unsafe.......Several of us just said we do not do it. ......And it is illegal to have the propane on in several of the mid Atlantic area tunnels. But I do everyday run into people doing what they thought was ok or safe but........... their families wish that they had not done what they did........................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, propane