Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #1

Protectant for Hybrids

This is for all the hybrid owners out there.
What do you use on the material around the beds to protect the fabric from the elements? I am sure there are tons of products out there, but I am curious as the what everyone is using??
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
CampeRooo

I haven't tried this yet, but once I replace the old fabric on mine, I'm going to use this product - Marine Vinyl Protectant | Vinyl Conditioner| Leather Protectant | Tire Shine | RV Roof Protectant

(For reference only, I do not work for, or sell this product)

I've used their black streak remover and I was very impressed with it. Search the forum for that or my posts and you'll see some pictures of the results I had using it.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #3

As a boat owner I would advise against black streak remover to protect the vinyl bunk ends and fabrics. It is a solvant and will likely eat the stitching or at least weaken it.

I would suggest using marine vinyl cleaner and protectant as a first coat and then use 303 Protectant. The stuff is not cheap but it is a great UV blocker and lasts for up to 60 days per application. I use it on my boat's vinyl and on my old TT and will use it on the ROO when we get it in March.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
CampeRooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
As a boat owner I would advise against black streak remover to protect the vinyl bunk ends and fabrics. It is a solvant and will likely eat the stitching or at least weaken it.
Just to clarify my previous statement, I used the black streak remover on some non-vinyl surface areas of my Roo (photos in another thread), not on my vinyl bunk ends. I guess I should have specified that I have used this product BRAND and recommend it, rather then bringing the black streak remover product into this thread. This brand makes another product that is a protectant, which my link points to for reference, and this is probably what I would use on the new vinyl.

Sorry about the confusion fellas.

Joe

Old 01-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #5

To go along with this, I would also suggest using a good marine grade wax on the fiberglass finish like Maquires Gold Fleet or Colinites wax. You can pick up these online at most marine retail outlets or places like West Marine. I try to wax the exterior at least once a year.

That Black streak stuff would work great on the fiberglass finish really gets oils, dirt and grime off the surface well. Thanks for clarifying Joe...

I found this mildew remover from a company called Amazons. Boaters World carried it, but they since have gone under. I stocked up on it before they closed, but the beauty of the stuff is it is chlorine free (chlorine degrades stitching) and it really gets the mildew out of and off of fabrics. Another good trick for mold and mildew is 1 to 4 ratio of white vinegar to water works well without damaging fabrics and seams.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
CampeRooo

Hey Bob,

Do you know of any other equivalents of the Amazons product that might be available? Two years ago, we started to see some black mildew spots starting to develop on the back bunk material. We've tried a few things, including the vinegar mixture, and so far, we haven't had much luck. I'm afraid of trying anything else questionable just because I don't want to ruin the material at this point. Everything is in great shape right now and once the material starts to show some problems, I know that we won't have much of a choice of what to do next. Our model is a 2000 and it's been the perfect trailer for us. If I can clean up the material and maybe redo the roof material on it...it will probably be good to go for another 10 years. Maybe i'll just have to bite the bullet and replace them in order to get it back to where I want it, but until then...

(this might be really dumb) One other question I have is how do you remove mildew? Would I "wash" it from the inside or from the outside with the suggested product? The stuff I've tried before was used on the inside....maybe that's part of the problem.

Thank you

Joe

Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #7

Joe,
The Amazons stuff is green in color and I think it is what they do. I would suggest searching for it on the net. You can spray it on both inside surface and outside surfaces. We use a sponge to wipe it.

If you can't find Amazons, we also use a boat product called Spray 9 I think it is by Maykayout (pronounced Mary Kate). I use this in the cabin of the boat and it too works great. Again, I use a sponge if the spray does not kill it. Go to West Marine.com and look under cleaning supplies.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
CampeRooo

Just to be sure, is this what you're talking about?
Amazon Premium Products - Enviro-Magic Mildew Stain Away (for reference only)

Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #9

Yep...that's it! My experience is Amazons works well and is great when used to catch mildew early, but sometimes if it is a problem area I break out the Spray 9.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
CampeRooo

Great, thanks Bob for all the info on this.
I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I spent some time last night researching molds vs mildews and couldn't find a picture that accurately represents the little dots that i've seen on the inside of my bed covers. It's not much, but enough to bother me, knowing that if we let it get out of hand, it could cause health risks to both my wife and I. So we keep a very close eye on it, to say the least.

One other thing we're thinking about is this dehumidifier product that we found that has some crystals in it and it is supposed to keep the humidity down during storage. I think that we might have to start using it as a preventative from this happening again. Here's another reference to that product - Dri-Z-Air Dehumidifiers: Dri-Z-Air removes excess moisture from the air Made in USA

Cheers!
Joe

Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #11

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
303-protectant was invented by the people that brought Bio-Kleen to the market. Bio-Kleen is the nuts !! Works real well too !! Ok both are real good !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
CampeRooo