Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2019, 10:31 PM   #1

PUGS versus economical route

Let me preface by saying we only camp in weather that needs some type of insulation on the bunk tops maybe 3-4 times per year. I looked at the price of the PUGS for my three bunk Rockwood Roo and wondered if there was a cheaper alternative. I bought insulated reflective blankets at Walmart for $9 each. Then bought some small spring clips from Walmart for $3 for a package of 12. I used 24 clips per tent end. Total cost was around under $50.

We recently returned from a 14 day trip in east Texas and the Texas coast. This set up performed flawlessly. It even withstood the beach winds in Galveston, which was three straight days of steady 25 MPH gusting around 40. I did not lose a single clip the entire time. I felt those three days would be the ultimate test of my alternate rig. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	207816

Rockwood Roo 233s
F-150, Ecoboost, ProPride 3P
RooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:51 PM   #2

You did what I would have done if I needed to.

You can go a bit further by shopping Homedepot for relectix and cutting pieces to zip between the screens and zip up windows giving a bit more insulation to the tent ends.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #3

Yeah the picture is bad but we have the reflextic in the windows too. Those along make such a difference.

Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 07-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
Sham183

Thank you! I was thinking of trying this as well and you have just answered some things I was questioning like how they would hold up in windy situations and how many clips to possibly use. Looks like I’m making a trip to Walmart for little modification [emoji16]. Pugs maybe will come next year but we will see [emoji106]. And my DW just rolled her eyes at me for another modification I’m going to do 🤣.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
Thank you! I was thinking of trying this as well and you have just answered some things I was questioning like how they would hold up in windy situations and how many clips to possibly use. Looks like I’m making a trip to Walmart for little modification [emoji16]. Pugs maybe will come next year but we will see [emoji106]. And my DW just rolled her eyes at me for another modification I’m going to do 🤣.

This set up has worked perfect for us at around $60. Some cheap clips from Walmart and we were set. We have not had a single issue with them being blown off by wind. The “cheap” space blankets have made a world of difference in cooling our trailer, and can be replaced easily when we need. We only use them 3-4 times per year. Couldn’t justify paying PUGS 300-400 $$$.

Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 07-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
Sham183

PUGS versus economical route

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooDad View Post
This set up has worked perfect for us at around $60. Some cheap clips from Walmart and we were set. We have not had a single issue with them being blown off by wind. The “cheap” space blankets have made a world of difference in cooling our trailer, and can be replaced easily when we need. We only use them 3-4 times per year. Couldn’t justify paying PUGS 300-400 $$$.

Good to know. I definitely will give it a try. We are in the same boat as you we probably camp about 4-6 times a year. One time is about a week otherwise 3 days or so (darn work). Sounds like a win for me to try. [emoji106] thanks
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #7

When we had our popup and then hybrid we went the economical route too. Space blankets and spring clips and cut Reflectix for the tent end window areas. Worked well even in strong winds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior Mods 015.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	359.8 KB
ID:	208916
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #8

Back in the early 80's I use to rig up tarps over the tops of our bunk ends on our popup's to add shade to them. How things evolve.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:38 AM   #9
PRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooDad View Post

You should compare apples to apples when quoting pricing. The comparable set of pugs from PopupGizmo’s is $99.95 plus shipping not $300-$400. [emoji849]
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
You should compare apples to apples when quoting pricing. The comparable set of pugs from PopupGizmo’s is $99.95 plus shipping not $300-$400. [emoji849]
The Super High Wind Series Covers. Our best cover system. Wind capacity in excess of 25 MPH. $89.95 for a single cover, $169.95 for a two cover set, $199.95 for a two cover set with a third cover for dinette slide-outs on popups, $239.95 for a three cover set for three bunk Hybrids.

"From Popup Gizmo's"
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
The Super High Wind Series Covers. Our best cover system. Wind capacity in excess of 25 MPH. $89.95 for a single cover, $169.95 for a two cover set, $199.95 for a two cover set with a third cover for dinette slide-outs on popups, $239.95 for a three cover set for three bunk Hybrids.

"From Popup Gizmo's"
I think what he's saying is that the economical version of the PUG/solar blanket system, is comparable to the basic Popup Gizmos system that costs $100.
Never seen anyone make their own Super High Wind PUG system.
All that extra material and sewing labor raises the costs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post

Comparably the price for me to order “super high wind” PUGS is about $250 before shipping. I have a three bunk camper. I was simply stating that people can find more cost efficient methods to cool their trailer. Sorry I offended you. You must work for the makers of PUG. The purpose of this forum is to share ideas to make our rigs better to camp in. I thought I found a more cost efficient way to make an alternative to PUGs. Sorry I misquoted price.

Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 07-10-2019, 10:32 PM   #13
PRB

Didn’t offend me at all and I don’t work for the makers of Pugs.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #14
Summer2Go

Do pugs have an extra insulating layer under the space silver layer? How do they attach at the top of the tent? I tried to make pugs using space blankets, and velcroed them to the inside top of the opening. In one season the silver started to chip and separate from the backing vinyl. Are the pugs you buy better quality than space blankets?
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
Do pugs have an extra insulating layer under the space silver layer? How do they attach at the top of the tent? I tried to make pugs using space blankets, and velcroed them to the inside top of the opening. In one season the silver started to chip and separate from the backing vinyl. Are the pugs you buy better quality than space blankets?
IMHO, yes PUGs are made with better fabrics.
I owned both and the PUGs felt thicker than the all-weather/Sportsman/survival blankets.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-27-2019, 07:52 AM   #16
Summer2Go

I see on their website that they don’t recommend having them out in the weather for long periods of time. Would 2 summer months in New Jersey damage them.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:57 AM   #17
Summer2Go

Oh and I velcroed mine inside the bunk door edge. Is that what people are doing? I used heavy duty “black” 2” wide outdoor Velcro, which I will probably have to re-do. It didn’t stay completely stuck tight on the edges, alcohol cleaning and all.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #18

They state that it is not recommended for 24/7/365 days use.... so are you planning on a continuous 2 month stretch? or a week/weekend off and on.

we are into the third year with ours - they are holding up very well. we use them every trip - but we do try to select a camp site with shade - no fun being in the hot sun ALL week. (we are close to you in Maryland). I would not hesitate to use them for a 2 month stretch (if i were so lucky as to be able to camp for 2 solid months) as them getting beat up saves the tenting from getting beat up.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
I see on their website that they don’t recommend having them out in the weather for long periods of time. Would 2 summer months in New Jersey damage them.
Are you saying that you'd leave the tent ends setup, with PUGs, for 2 straight months?
If so, I wouldn't advise it unless you want to buy another set, in the near future.
Regular tarps don't last long when exposed to constant sun.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:14 AM   #20
Summer2Go

We use the camper in the summer only pretty much. When we’re not camping, we frequently leave it open in the driveway. I frequently put all the bedding and such in one bunk while cleaning, and fussing. It ends up being open a lot of the summer. So most people close it up except for camping?