Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #1

Question about hybrid canvas beds

I have a 2011 Hybrid and was wondering if I should loosen the canvas on the beds while it's raining? Also should the canvas be loose while it's drying after getting caught in a rainstorm? Any help would be appreciated.
ChowBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chowboss. I'm not clear on two things. What do you mean by "loosen" and what are you trying to accomplish?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #3

What I mean by loosen is...there is a bar that holds the canvas up that is adjustable so I can make the canvas tighter or looser. I read somewhere that if your canvas gets wet you want to loosen the tension so it doesn't stretch. I don't think my bed canvas is "pure canvas" like our very old tent was which weighed a ton. These beds seem to have some sort of vinyl on them on the top outside, so stretching may not be a problem. What I'm trying to accomplish is NOT stretching the fabric out so badly that it sags when dry. Hope this clears up your questions, if not let me know and I'll try again.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ah, now I see what you are getting at

No, you do not need to loosen the pole in preparation for rain or while its drying.

My poles (I have three tent ends) were set once when we first bought the unit. I check every now and then if I need to adjust, but so far so good. There has been no stretching.

Now, with a brand new Roo or Shamrock camper, the instructions that come with the unit will state the seals in the tent ends need to be seasoned. They need to get wet and expand. I am not as familiar with Surveyor or other brands.

By the way, what camper do you have?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #5

We spent many weekends in the rain with our last camper which was a hybrid and never bothered loosening the canvas or adjusting the poles. Seemed to hold up fine just leaving everything as is. We did however dry it out when the weather cleared up. We would just set the camper back up at the house and let it dry out.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #6

Thanks Triguy, my poles were set in the middle (hole number 3). I've noticed it's not quite as tight as when we bought it so I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or not. This is our second summer camping with it so I wanted to check with the forum to see if I should be doing something different. We have a 2011 Coachmen Freedom Express LTZ with two drop beds and absolutely love it. We seasoned the seams last year and to date have had no problems with leaks. Thanks for your help, enjoy your camping.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #7

Smitty75, that's what we have been doing. Got caught this weekend in a frog strangler so today the beds are down getting dried out. I guess I was just second guessing myself and wanted someone else's opinion and experience to confirm we are on the right track. Thanks for the info and enjoy that new camper you have. Good camping..

Tags
bed, beds