Old 02-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #1

Questions about 2013 Roo's?

Hi there,
I'm about to buy a new (2013) Roo19. I have my search narrowed down to 2 units at 2 different dealerships. Both are listed as 2013's. But one has the "Austin" interior fabric, which the Rockwood website doesn't currently show as an option.
1) How can I be sure that it really is a 2013 and not 2012,
2) what changes have they made on 2013 Roos?
3) Have thay made any changes to minimize bunk-end leakage on recent models?
Thanks for any info/advice. Looking forward to hybrid camping!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You're probably thinking changes with model year like the auto industry. The RV industry isn't like that...they continually make changes throughout the model year, some major, some minor. Decor usually changes around mid year (July/August) so it'd be possible to have a 2013 from earlier in the year with the same decor as late 2012 production. BTW, the model year changes usually in March.

The sure way to determine the model year would be by VIN...the 10th digit would be the letter D for 2013 or C for 2012.

Hopefully some Roo owners can answer your other questions.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
Hi there,
I'm about to buy a new (2013) Roo19. I have my search narrowed down to 2 units at 2 different dealerships. Both are listed as 2013's. But one has the "Austin" interior fabric, which the Rockwood website doesn't currently show as an option.
1) How can I be sure that it really is a 2013 and not 2012,
2) what changes have they made on 2013 Roos?
3) Have thay made any changes to minimize bunk-end leakage on recent models?
Thanks for any info/advice. Looking forward to hybrid camping!
Have you made your choice yet? Here are my two cents for what its worth. I've spent lots of time researching Roo's and purchased in December and have discovered that there are sometimes subtle differences between campers that were built not more than a couple weeks apart..with the same model...floorplan..and even same colors. Go figure.

1. When you buy a camper in May 2012 that was built in March 2012 and its called a 2013 I'm not sure why that should be called a 2013 at all. My Roo has a build date stamped October 2012 and is called a 2013.

2. My Roo comes with LED's throughout. Thats a pretty big change. I will be doing lots of dry camping so thats a huge plus and saves me about $350 because I dont have to convert over. My camper has a build date of 10/17/2012 and it comes with LED's yet this weekend I was at the local camper show and I went thru the same camper as mine with a build date of 9/7/2012 and it did not have LED's. Go figure. The Roo brochure for 2013 says that LED's are standard in Roo's but evidently not until sometime between those dates.

As for colors take a look at the two pictures I posted. Both are from the dealer I purchased from and both are the same model, floorplan, and interior colors. Everything is the same. Yet look at the little swoop that is a different color. Explain that one. Who knows why they do what they do. Both campers were built within a couple of weeks of each other. My color scheme btw was Taylor Sand with Cherry cabinets and all fabric. None of that "fleather" like material. I asked a dealer what that stuff was and thats what he called it. I busted out laughing and so did he. Some people like it and others dont. I'm in the latter camp.

3. I have no idea what they have done with the bunk leak issues. I have read about it on here but have tried counting up the number of actual people who have posted with issues and it seems rather limited in number compared to owners who havent mentioned it. You'd think if they are on here and have had issues they would mention it. To those with issues...my heart goes out to you. Buddy of mine said...hope they didnt put your unit together late on a Friday before a holiday weekend when everyone wants to get home.

I'd love to hear about your purchase when you make the decision. I am looking forward to picking mine up in a few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	233s01.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	24281   Click image for larger version

Name:	233s02.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	24282  

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #4

I ended up going for a factory order Roo 19, should arrive in 6 weeks or so. Now to figure out everything I need to know (and buy) for hybrid trailer camping...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMovies View Post
My color scheme btw was Taylor Sand with Cherry cabinets and all fabric. None of that "fleather" like material. I asked a dealer what that stuff was and thats what he called it. I busted out laughing and so did he. Some people like it and others dont. I'm in the latter camp.

I call it "pleather", for "plastic leather" . I think it has it's advantages and looks good in some colors, but I also went with the "all fabric" interior (Taylor Sand).
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #6

Quote:
I ended up going for a factory order Roo 19, should arrive in 6 weeks or so. Now to figure out everything I need to know (and buy) for hybrid trailer camping...
You may end up with a 2014. We ordered our Roo the end of Feb last year and got a 2013.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #7

Quote:
I call it "pleather", for "plastic leather" . I think it has it's advantages and looks good in some colors, but I also went with the "all fabric" interior (Taylor Sand).
We went to the local RV show this past weekend and we went into a couple Roos with that stuff on the couches and the copilot said she really liked the feel. I was a little shocked. Growing up with campers my whole life I figure that no matter what color scheme you pick it all sort of still looks like it belongs in a camper.

Now you were many miles from the dealer. I remember that from another post or a PM that we exchanged. Are you having it delivered?

We put down money on one having never been inside one. We went in other mfg's models with similar floorplans and went off of word of mouth and info here as to the quality of the Roo. When I went and signed papers I was not disappointed. Have you been in a Roo?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #8

Quote:
What sort of camping have you done up to this point in your life? Curious what led you to buy a camper?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
You may end up with a 2014. We ordered our Roo the end of Feb last year and got a 2013.
Couple years ago when we first started thinking about a different camper and moving on from a popup I fell in love with the idea of the floorplans of your camper. Loved the idea of the slideout that collapses and doesnt increase the towing length. Plus its all hardshell. We camp out west every year and want to camp in National Forest campgrounds that are in Grizzly Bear territory. There are certain campgrounds out there that are hardshell only however. I have been in an Outback that matches your floorplan and its really amazing but far heavier camper compared to the hybrid or your Roo. We went with a hybrid because we realized just how much we love being connected with the outdoors and didnt want to lose that. Lots of camping near mountain streams and its just wonderful to hear that rush of water all night long and anytime you are in your camper.

I'm curious about your 25RS. I believe there is only one window in the slide compared to three for the Outback model slide. Do you get much air movement in there with the window open?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #10

I placed my order in early January, I was told by my salesman that when it is built it will be a 2014. Hopefully I find something really cool that they plan to change for 2014 like a bigger television or surround sound speakers... One could wish right!