Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #1

Rainwater always inside my retractable awning

We own a 2018 ROO 21SS. The unit is stored outside. Whenever it rains, water gets inside the rolled up awning. I’m not talking just a little bit, the whole underneath of the awning is wet. Every time! If I don’t open it up after every rain event, mold will start to grow on the underneath side.

Anyone have any advise? The awning is retracted as far as it goes. Put a cover on it? Will that stop it? Thanks!
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #2

Unfortunately common with most of today's RV awnings.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
Enjoying Life

It's just a fact of owning. Everything I have seen or tried didn't do any good. Just open it up for a few minutes and be done with it at no cost.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
Site Team

The awning edges wick water inside.
Pretty normal for most awnings.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:29 AM   #5

Capillary Action

Capillary Action — once you understand it, you may be able to develop a solution for your awning.

https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/w...center_objects

Bruce
Old 07-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
D W

Nature of the beast. I've seen folks with cut-off spray bottles on each end, zip tied garbage bags, etc., nothing is 100% effective.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #7
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat1 View Post
Anyone have any advise? The awning is retracted as far as it goes. Put a cover on it? Will that stop it? Thanks!
I have a cover on my awning, and I still have to open it up the let the water drain and evaporate.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat1 View Post
We own a 2018 ROO 21SS. The unit is stored outside. Whenever it rains, water gets inside the rolled up awning. I’m not talking just a little bit, the whole underneath of the awning is wet. Every time! If I don’t open it up after every rain event, mold will start to grow on the underneath side.

bearcat1, I would wear out the motor on mine if I had to open it after every rain event here in SE Louisiana. I bought some Vinyl "K" style gutters at the local big box Home Depot for less than $5 per 10 ft stick. I have an 18 ft awning, so I used 2 sticks. Simply turn them upside down over the awning with the straight side in the RV rain gutter and the rest of the awning will fit inside the inverted vinyl gutter. I let the pieces slightly overlap in the center and the outer ends cover the supports. That's it ... no glue , no sun degradation on the fabric, and best of all no water in the rolled up awning with resulting mildew or mold. Remove it for traveling since it probably is not secure enough to handle the wind on the interstate at 60+ m.p.h. (We just went through Hurricane Barry and the vinyl gutters stayed in place and the awning was dry.) I install and remove from atop a 6 ft step ladder. ..... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #9

Wet Awning & Bad Ass Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
bearcat1, I would wear out the motor on mine if I had to open it after every rain event here in SE Louisiana. I bought some Vinyl "K" style gutters at the local big box Home Depot for less than $5 per 10 ft stick. I have an 18 ft awning, so I used 2 sticks. Simply turn them upside down over the awning with the straight side in the RV rain gutter and the rest of the awning will fit inside the inverted vinyl gutter. I let the pieces slightly overlap in the center and the outer ends cover the supports. That's it ... no glue , no sun degradation on the fabric, and best of all no water in the rolled up awning with resulting mildew or mold. Remove it for traveling since it probably is not secure enough to handle the wind on the interstate at 60+ m.p.h. (We just went through Hurricane Barry and the vinyl gutters stayed in place and the awning was dry.) I install and remove from atop a 6 ft step ladder. ..... Swampy

So simple, so easy, and it works so well..
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #10
Can you run 3800 fps?

Call it "wicking" or "capillary action", or call it a PITA! It's a force of physics that you will never get away from without sealing the ends of the awning. Just do what the rest of us do, open the awning when it dry out and let the moisture evaporate. Clean the underside when necessary, and learn to enjoy the camping experience in spite of the little headaches you encounter along the way. The XYL and I call all of this "our ADVENTURE"! We just finished another adventure today, and the first of the season WITHOUT RAIN!
SniperDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #11

its as everyone says - normal. someone told me that if I was worried about to drill tiny holes in the fabric along the full length to let it out when rolled up. Don't think so Tim was my response
Old 07-30-2019, 08:32 PM   #12

Ok... thanks all. I’ll try the gutter thing and if that doesn’t work I’ll just deal with it and enjoy the rest of the camper. Or maybe I’ll just do the holes in the edges.. not!
BTW...Headed to the Smoky Mountains in 11 days for a week long trip. Can’t wait.
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #13

We have the same Roo and the same issue. Don't know if you found an answer but I have been considering permanently attaching a piece of water tight vinyl to the last turn and a half to the awning so that when it's retracted it covers the awning.
I have looked at some of the aluminum options but sure aint gonna pay those prices.
Hawkester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #14

I dont know if it is avoidable but to clean the awning and the rest of the camper on the outside use Mr Clean Magic Eraser. It's a miracle
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #15

And this is why I peruse this forum. The collective knowledge and wisdom is great!

Thanks for passing that idea along, Swampy!
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
I dont know if it is avoidable but to clean the awning and the rest of the camper on the outside use Mr Clean Magic Eraser. It's a miracle
Better yet - use the Mr Clean magic eraser mop...
Cantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Brilliant.
Av8Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, water