Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

Question Regret buying a Hybrid?

The wife and I are looking to buy a Hybrid next spring. I'm just a little worried that after we buy and use the hybrid will be wishing we bought a travel trailer. I like the idea of the open ends the hybrid gives you.
So my ? is are you regretting buying a hybrid
Thank You, Fred
fredhawks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #2

I did. Bought it, slept in it for 10-12 nights, kept it for 4 months and then traded it. The thing leaked and the bed was uncomfortable. I bought it against the advice of friends who had one and regretted it. They bought a 28' TT and I bought a 30' fiver.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #3

We looked at them but my significantly smarter other pointed out they may not be as easy to keep warm during spring and fall camping.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #4

Had one, Roo 23ss. Kept it for one year. Too light of a sleeper for the tent ends. Hard to take a nap in during hot summer days even with the A/C running. Didn't like the extra work required to setup and tear down! Went with a regular travel trailer and after 2 1/2 years made the move up to a fifth wheel. Should have started there...but didn't know any better
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Resident Masshole

No regrets. I'll caveat that we are only 3 months into owning our Roo 23SS, but we have managed to camp 10 nights in it so far, and a few of those included rain. The hybrid decision boiled down to my wife insisting on preserving the "tent" feeling of camping out.

We have had no leaks anywhere, and setting up and breaking down is easy enough.

As for heat, we have slept in a tent down to 35 degrees before, and have every intention of doing the same w/ our hybrid. I expect we'll buy a pair of solar covers for the bunks to help keep the heat in. The heated mattresses will help here also.

That said, obviously with the canvas ends, I have no expectation of maintaining a balmy 75 degrees inside come late Fall. If that was my requirement, I wouldn't be camping in the first place.

To solve the uncomfy bed issue, we bought a 3" memory foam topper from Target. Works great, and folds up fine w/ the mattress when we fold the bunk ends back up for travel.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhawks1 View Post
The wife and I are looking to buy a Hybrid next spring. I'm just a little worried that after we buy and use the hybrid will be wishing we bought a travel trailer. I like the idea of the open ends the hybrid gives you.
So my ? is are you regretting buying a hybrid
Thank You, Fred
Fred -

We don't regret buying our hybrid - couldn't be happier with it. But, hybrids certainly aren't for everyone. We spent 13 years in a popup. Never had a leak and we camped in some torrential rains. As you can see on this fourm, leaking doors are a potential issue. Don't know what percentage of units have that problem, but you would think it can't be too wide spread or the manufacturers would stop making them due to warranty expense.

We like the tent ends - lots of light, you get a nice breeze and can truly enjoy the outdoors. Trade off is the matresses aren't deluxe pillow tops and somebody ends up on the inside since it isnt' a walk-around bed. The other benefit (to me) is we got a true 60 X 80, not the 60 X 74 common in many TT's. I happen to need the extra 6"

We don't live in Florida or Texas or someplace where hot weather could be a concern, and we don't camp in extremely cold weather either, which could be a hybrid drawback to some. And we don't stay in too many places where the sites are very closely spaced.

For us, one of the huge advantages of the expandable is our 23 has as much living space as many 28-30 foot TT's. We camp in a lot of state parks with small sites (like 25 ft max). We have access to a lot sites that a larger trailer wouldn't fit into. That was a big deal for us. Many of these don't have electric on top of being small. So you see a lot of tents, popus and smaller TT's. Very few 5th wheels or motorhomes. But for $20 a night, we get a prime lake front spot and even though the sites are small, they are spaced out so you have plenty of room between neighbors.

We love the amentities of the TT with the "camping feel" of the tent ends and wouldn't want anything else, but make sure if fits your needs before you buy.

Kevin

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
Had one, Roo 23ss. Kept it for one year. Too light of a sleeper for the tent ends. Hard to take a nap in during hot summer days even with the A/C running. Didn't like the extra work required to setup and tear down! Went with a regular travel trailer and after 2 1/2 years made the move up to a fifth wheel. Should have started there...but didn't know any better

This is kind of where I'm at. But until some of my kids are out of the tow vehicle, it will have to do.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Experienced Newbie

When we bought our Apex 151RBX hybrid, we were limited by our tow vehicle. It was the biggest trailer we were comfortable towing (or mathematically able to tow). As we had upgraded from a small Coleman popup, we didn't want just a larger popup. We wanted to "be able to open the door, toss stuff in, and go."

While it has been a good camper, it doesn't fit our camping style anymore. The kids are older now and want to bring friends along. We simply need more space.

Of course, the 3/4 ton suburban we bought helps a little too.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #9

is it the open ends you like or the extra floor space in a smaller trailer? like hockeytownmom we waited for our kids to get out on their own, loved the hybrids, but then chose the Roo 25RS for its' hard slide and extra sleeping space in case the "kids" want to join us.
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #10

Hello Fred and welcome to the forum! Lots of info here for you.
First, why a hybrid? Can your tv pull a tt? How many people sleeping? Full time, seasonal camping, or just weekends?
I just moved to a TT from a popup 2 years ago. Never had a HTT. But we thought about it and decide on a TT. Just as in a popup, there are things you can do to help keep it warm or keep it cool. Reflectix cutout to fit inbetween the screen and the plastic windows in the tent ends and the space blankets over the tenting in the extreme temps is very effective, often allowing about 15 degrees or more of heat or cool to be maintained. More setup!
Is the tent feeling worth the extra work of opening and drying the tenting if it happens to be wet or damp when you fold it up to leave? For us, we just go camping one weekend a month and the easier the better and more time to enjoy outdoors! And less chance of leaks! Lol
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
this is kind of where i'm at. But until some of my kids are out of the tow vehicle, it will have to do.

go hawks!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #12

Scotty2
I like the open ends and canvas, still gives you the tent feel.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Buddys View Post
Hello Fred and welcome to the forum! Lots of info here for you.
First, why a hybrid? Can your tv pull a tt? How many people sleeping? Full time, seasonal camping, or just weekends?
I just moved to a TT from a popup 2 years ago. Never had a HTT. But we thought about it and decide on a TT. Just as in a popup, there are things you can do to help keep it warm or keep it cool. Reflectix cutout to fit inbetween the screen and the plastic windows in the tent ends and the space blankets over the tenting in the extreme temps is very effective, often allowing about 15 degrees or more of heat or cool to be maintained. More setup!
Is the tent feeling worth the extra work of opening and drying the tenting if it happens to be wet or damp when you fold it up to leave? For us, we just go camping one weekend a month and the easier the better and more time to enjoy outdoors! And less chance of leaks! Lol
I'm thinking a hybrid because I love tent camping and it still gives you somewhat of a tent feel. The wife wants a TT and I like the canvas so we decided to meet in the middle. My TV is a Yukon XL size isn't the issue I don't want something bigger then 30' thou.
We camp on average 20 nights a year
There's 4 of use me, wife and twin daughters that are 2 and a half
Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #14

We tent camped for over 20 years. We didn't want to deal with the tent ends, unmade beds, etc. So we went right from that 12 x 12 tent to our TT. We can throw the food in and be ready to go in an hour if we want to. in and when we get to the campsite, it's u hook, push a button for the slide, the jacks and the awning and we're ready to enjoy the camping.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #15

went the same route as most, tent to PU, the Hybrid. Had a 23ss which we enjoyed because of the open feeling. Two problems were need for one of us(me) to crawl over the Mrs. to get out of bed, and condensation. Living in WI we like to camp in spring and fall, and the cooler temps cause significant condensation in the tent ends, even when vented and furnace not running during night. Now have a 2609 Windjammer and love it. Welcome to the forum.

dparkpa
dparkpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #16

The main issue for me whether it is a pop-up or a hybrid is keeping the material free from mold and mildew. You have to keep on top it! The unit has to be absolutely free from moisture on the inside when stored. I also found these units tend to be more susceptible to the formation of condensation with large swings in temperature from night to day with the material folded over on itself.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparkpa View Post
went the same route as most, tent to PU, the Hybrid. Had a 23ss which we enjoyed because of the open feeling. Two problems were need for one of us(me) to crawl over the Mrs. to get out of bed, and condensation. Living in WI we like to camp in spring and fall, and the cooler temps cause significant condensation in the tent ends, even when vented and furnace not running during night.

dparkpa
X2 on the condensation and getting around the Mrs. The only other major issue I had was that I got little sleep on windy nights with the canvas flapping around. One thing that does help the heat/ AC in is the reflective mini bubble wrap style insulation cut out to fit in the zip down windows.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhawks1 View Post
go hawks!!!!!!
What!! [a hawks fan?] they actually let anyone join these forums , just remember happy DW, happy DH.....
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #19

That's right scotty2 "a huge hawks fan"
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #20

Have a 2009 Rockwood 23SS and have completely enjoyed it. It has great storage and living space. Condensation was a problem initially, but solved it by leave the end flap open slightly to improve circulation.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote