Roo 23ss Beds & Shelving Replaced
Forest River provided two new bed ends and shelving for our Rockwood Roo 23ss. Our unit was one that suffered from the water issues that FR has prepared a Field Fix Kit to handle. Due to extensive damage, we were forced to replace both the front and rear beds and the shelving that adjoins each.
Replacing the shelving was the most difficult part of the operation as no documentation exists (that anyone knows of) to explain how to go about it. My son, who is a finish carpenter did the work today. My wife and I provided assistance. We removed the old mdf and replaced it with plywood shelving provided by FR. It took a little over 4 hours to replace the shelving.
New shelving is a "bear" to replace on the front bed end. Due to the slant of the front end, the fitted piece of wood would not seat properly. We had to partially remove the top of the vanity that houses the water pump. However, once is place the new piece fit like a glove.
The new beds were installed fairly easily as good documentation exists on line as to how to go about it. We used the Field Fix Kit photos but were able to skip those sections involving making repairs to existing beds as we were replacing them with new ones. The bed process took about another 4 hours.
While performing a test closing on the rear bed we discovered that our problem rear latch had suffered so much water damage that the wood had rotted. It pulled away from the camper as soon as we tried to close the latch.
My son talked with FR and we reinforced all four latches by removing the screws, drilling completely through the camper walls, and using 1/4 inch bolts secured the other side with a piece of aluminum which was about the same size as the latch.
Both front and rear beds are a little "stiff" to close now that we have added all the proper rubber gaskets. But we did lock her up for the night.
Our thanks to Scott and Gregg at FR for their assistance.
I have taken quite a few photos but have not had time to review them.