Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #1

Roo 23ss Beds & Shelving Replaced

Forest River provided two new bed ends and shelving for our Rockwood Roo 23ss. Our unit was one that suffered from the water issues that FR has prepared a Field Fix Kit to handle. Due to extensive damage, we were forced to replace both the front and rear beds and the shelving that adjoins each.

Replacing the shelving was the most difficult part of the operation as no documentation exists (that anyone knows of) to explain how to go about it. My son, who is a finish carpenter did the work today. My wife and I provided assistance. We removed the old mdf and replaced it with plywood shelving provided by FR. It took a little over 4 hours to replace the shelving.

New shelving is a "bear" to replace on the front bed end. Due to the slant of the front end, the fitted piece of wood would not seat properly. We had to partially remove the top of the vanity that houses the water pump. However, once is place the new piece fit like a glove.

The new beds were installed fairly easily as good documentation exists on line as to how to go about it. We used the Field Fix Kit photos but were able to skip those sections involving making repairs to existing beds as we were replacing them with new ones. The bed process took about another 4 hours.

While performing a test closing on the rear bed we discovered that our problem rear latch had suffered so much water damage that the wood had rotted. It pulled away from the camper as soon as we tried to close the latch.

My son talked with FR and we reinforced all four latches by removing the screws, drilling completely through the camper walls, and using 1/4 inch bolts secured the other side with a piece of aluminum which was about the same size as the latch.

Both front and rear beds are a little "stiff" to close now that we have added all the proper rubber gaskets. But we did lock her up for the night.

Our thanks to Scott and Gregg at FR for their assistance.

I have taken quite a few photos but have not had time to review them.
camper22406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Site Team

i'm looking forward to your pics. i'm having the front bunk completely replaced, including the hinge and seals.

i, luckily, hadn't had any leaks but wanted the newer system installed before anything bad happened in the future.

mine's an '07 and hadn't had any leak issues. so this was preventative. the dealer is using the same pics but yours might be helpful in addition to those.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #3

Photos are now in album here on Forest River Forums (camper22406's Profile > Albums > Replacing Roo Shelving Adjacent to Beds). I have tried to include as much explanation as possible. As I was active part of the work crew along with my wife and son, I do not have as many photos as I would like. I have not taken photos of completed work yet. I will also add photos of the new work we did on bed latch supports. If you have questions, please leave a message for me.
camper22406 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23ss, bed, beds