Old 06-11-2016, 05:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Be interesting to know what comes with the $30 year insurance. Replacement cost? Not insured unless hooked to tow vehicle?
A pine tree fell on our property five years ago. Our camper at the time was parked in the driveway. The camper (2005 Travelstar 21SSO) was totaled and the insurance paid $12,500 for it ($1000.00 more than what we paid for three years earlier)
My truck which was parked beside had $7000.00 damage.

No question asked and we got paid.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #22

Where do you live and what kind of coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
We're insured with AARP the Hartford. Insurance on our 2016 Roo 23ws.....$30.00 a year with a deductible of $500.00.
Our insurance cost for the year is $1100.00 (Three vehicles and one camper).
I asked my son-in-law (who works at Progressive), if he could beat that price and he said " No Way"
That $30 is for a trailer towed camper, correct. I was paying an extra $50 a year on the 26' 5th wheeler we had and am currently paying an extra $55 on the truck policy for to cover all my trailers including replacement cost on the motorcycle transport along with its contents.

Feel lucky your not in Michigan with its $250 a year stauatory assesment for Major medical and no fault on each and every vehicle you insure. so the Insurance companies can have higher profit margins

My wife and I are what you call insurance poor. WE do have AAA and get their premier discounts along with a group discount through her work, and multiple policy discounts...

Now before you say to change, Have you ever noticed how when one company brags to provide the best deal and then compare themselves to others, They never use AAA in their comparison It's because those companies usually can't beat the price of AAA once all the discounts are taken into account.

every vehicle we have carries
$500 deductible collision coverage. Motorcycles $250 deducible.
$100 deductible replacement cost comprehensive coverage
$3,000 accessory coverage.
$100,000/$300,000 Bodily Injury Liability.
$100,000 property damage liability.
$100,000/$300,000 uninsured and under insured motorist coverage
Work loss income coverage
Medical care coverage
$30 a day for 30 days rental insurance
and a quite a few other things that are included in the policies.

yearly coverage costs

2004 Chevy Silverado SLE Extended cab 2500HD 4wd with $10,000 coverage on any trailer I tow inlcuding full coverage on the 2016 NEO NAM127TR all aluminum motorcycle transport trailer- $1060 yearly
2015 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD - $1400 yearly
2017 Forest River Sunseeker MBS2400WS - $1800 yearly
2015 Honda Shadow Aero - $365 yearly
2015 Honda Shadow Phantom - $365 yearly

remember to knock $250 off each of those numbers to get a real insurance cost.

My oldest step-son lives in Indiana, has 5 vehicles insured, carries the minimum, no collision or comprehensive, insurance possible and gets away with paying about $1200 a year but that is for the most basic coverage with wreck the car or get it stolen, you pull the cash out of your pocket to replace it.

Now those of you who claim to have real good motorhome insurance deals may want to check your coverage real close, especially since you travel around the country because should you get in an accident you may end up in a world of hurt for lack of the much needed coverage

Here in Michigan although the politicians call it NO-FAULT insurance coverage, We call it MY-FAULT insurance because, Your insurance pays for all damages and then they go after the other insurance should the other person involved be 51% or more to blame. If your not carrying enough insurance, your screwed.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #23

Quote:
A pine tree fell on our property five years ago. Our camper at the time was parked in the driveway. The camper (2005 Travelstar 21SSO) was totaled and the insurance paid $12,500 for it ($1000.00 more than what we paid for three years earlier)

Since this was on your property did the claim go through homeowners or the trailer policy?
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Now before you say to change, Have you ever noticed how when one company brags to provide the best deal and then compare themselves to others, They never use AAA in their comparison It's because those companies usually can't beat the price of AAA once all the discounts are taken into account.
I'm sure AAA have great prices too. I quoted you because for the same reason AARP is never used in comparison.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Since this was on your property did the claim go through homeowners or the trailer policy?
Good Point.......This is one thing I can't remember, and I would have to look in my papers. It could have been my homeowner's insurance.

Sorry
Old 06-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #26

Quote:

Since a tree fell on it, it was most likely Home owners insurance and most home owners policies are written as "replacement cost" policies, thus the extra grand.

The question everyone should be asking their RV insurer, is how well is my coverage in such and such a state because you may think it is great at home, it may not be so great on the road, Replacement cost comprehensive and collision insurance on an $85,000 vehicle isn't cheap unless the deductible is real high. we chose the higher policy premium instead of the $5000 deductable which is common place on motorhomes.

Trailers are usually covered on the towing vehicle policy as a rider. At least that is how AAA handles them. When they are unhooked from the vehicle, they are covered under the homeowners policy. thus the $30 a year price.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Since a tree fell on it, it was most likely Home owners insurance and most home owners policies are written as "replacement cost" policies, thus the extra grand.

The question everyone should be asking their RV insurer, is how well is my coverage in such and such a state because you may think it is great at home, it may not be so great on the road, Replacement cost comprehensive and collision insurance on an $85,000 vehicle isn't cheap unless the deductible is real high. we chose the higher policy premium instead of the $5000 deductable which is common place on motorhomes.

Trailers are usually covered on the towing vehicle policy as a rider. At least that is how AAA handles them. When they are unhooked from the vehicle, they are covered under the homeowners policy. thus the $30 a year price.

That's how mine was with State Farm, and if it isn't hooked to tow vehicle it isn't covered. Found out hard way when it was parked in a campground not hooked up and storm came through and took out my awning. No coverage. My new coverage covers trailer no matter what.
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #28
Use the Force Roo

Insurance through my Agent

Hello...

I wanted to share the coverage for my 233s, which I tacked onto my car insurance, through my agent. He is an independent and covers everything. As previously discussed earlier in this thread, insurance coverage varies from state to state. We are not full timers, but when the trailer is connected to my Tow Vehicle, the car insurance covers any accident, collision or comprehensive issue. When it is parked, the 'supplemental' coverage takes care of it. For example, on my previous trailer, I left the awning open to dry on a sunny day, but a wind kicked up and actually caused it to sail up and over, damaging the shower sky lite and the awning itself. Long story short, minus $200, the supplemental insurance covered the repairs, thank goodness since it cost over $3000 to repair...

Coverage Details
DESCRIPTION LIMIT DEDUCTIBLE PREMIUM
BODILY INJURY SPLIT LIMITS 250,000/500,000 PER PERSON/PER ACCIDENT INCL.
PROPERTY DAMAGE 100,000 PER ACCIDENT INCL.
SUPPLEMENTARY UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORISTS* 250,000/500,000 PER PERSON/PER ACCIDENT INCL.
PERSONAL INJURY PROTECTION (PIP) 50,000 PER PERSON FULL INCL.
ADDITIONAL PERSONAL INJURY PROTECTION (PIP) 100,000 PER PERSON INCL.
OPTIONAL BASIC ECONOMIC LOSS 25,000 PER PERSON INCL.
AGGREGATE NO FAULT BENEFITS AVAILABLE 175,000 INCL.
OUT OF STATE PERSONAL INJURY PROTECTION (PIP) 50,000 PER PERSON INCL.
MAXIMUM MONTHLY WORK LOSS 2,000 PER PERSON INCL.
ADDITIONAL MONTHLY WORK LOSS 4,000 PER PERSON INCL.
AGGREGATE WORK LOSS 6,000 INCL.
OTHER NECESSARY EXPENSES 25 PER DAY INCL.
ADDITIONAL OTHER NECESSARY EXPENSES 25 PER DAY INCL.
AGGREGATE OTHER NECESSARY EXPENSES 50 INCL.
DEATH BENEFITS 2,000 PER PERSON INCL.
AGGREGATE DEATH BENEFITS 2,000 INCL.
MEDICAL PAYMENTS 1,000 PER PERSON INCL.
OTHER THAN COLLISION LOSS 200 $96.00
COLLISION LOSS 200 $190.00
TOTAL VEHICLE PREMIUM $286.00

As bolded above, that is the additional cost for coverage per year. Sounds like Good Sam is not as good as it could be, but again depends upon which state you are in... I am curious what you end up finding out...

Equalizer WDH 1000/10000 Prodigy 2 Brake

BGlickster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance