Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #1

Screen Door Plastic Handle

I have a 2013 23SS

The interior screen door on the outward side has (had) a plastic lever handle that was pushed downward motion to unlatch the door. On the interior side of the hard outer door there is a clasp that hooked on to the plastic handle of the screen door. That clasp sorta held the two doors together when open. The problem I had is that when the outer door was pulled open it tugged on the plastic handle trying to pull it forward. After a while the repeated tugs caused the plastic handle to snap as the clasp on the outer door kept trying to pull the screen door handle forward but the range of motion is for it to go downward.

My questions

Am I the only one who has this?

Was the plastic handle on the screen door perhaps installed backwards - i.e. Should the downward lever be on the inside and the paddle shaped handle be on the outside facing the hard outer door.

I'm sorry I don't have pics as the
handle is in pieces now

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #2

I think I may know what you are referring to. I believe the tab on the outer door is out of adjustment. I have had to readjust mine. Sometimes when you open the outer door the screen grabs and separates because the latch on it doesn't clear the door jamb. And, sometimes when you open the door from the inside the screen doesn't travel with the outer door. On mine, FR set that tab as low as it could go but, you could see that the latch stuck out from the screen door handle/mechanism. I ended up drilling a couple shallow 1/16" holes in the outer door where that elongated slotted tab was positioned. The net effect was to push the screen door handle down further(when both sections are coupled) I only moved those holes about 3/8" further down( about the length of the slot). Now the latch is pretty much recessed when both doors are coupled together. Now the screen door doesn't grab and stays with the outer door.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #3

That could very well be. When closed the screen door is still latched because that clasp on the outer door isn't down far enough.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #4

Our door is probably my least favorite part of our 23IKSS. I've been in other RVs where the door closes smoothly but on ours, we need to either slam it, or pull the door latch to make it close. Something must be out of alignment.
Here is the replacement part you need for your screen door. We broke ours too.

http://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-E2.../dp/B000BRJTZE

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:55 PM   #5

Very helpful.

I hope I still have the other side of the latch.

Once I have a new latch I'm going to position the opposing door clasp on the outer door down lower so that it engages the latch, opens the latch, but holds the two doors together.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

It sounds like the screen door is sticking which exerts too much force on the latch. Try to level the unit as often as possible and make sure it is level if you try to adjust the door. There are several sizes of latches and can be right hand or left hand. Take the old one with you when buying a new one.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #7

Both door latches on our Flagstaff 831RLBSS had the exact same symptoms. We even returned to the dealer who said they adjusted it to make it better. Their adjustments did nothing to improve the operation of the latches. We still had to "slam" the door or operate the mechanism to close the door. While lubricating the key slot with WD40 one day, I also sprayed a shot of it into the mechanism. What a difference this made. Both door latches now operate very smooth & will fully close with the slightest pressure on the door. I would have never thought it would make this much difference, but it did. I would recommend that you give it a try.
rac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #8

Certainly worth a try. Thanks for sharing the tip!

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
ARLO

Trimark 2297401 door lever latch

I had the plastic ones and they snapped. I replaced them with the Trimark metal handles mentioned above. I got them on Ebay.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #10

White lithium grease sprayed into the latch will last for a month or two and allows the door latch to operate smoothly.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #11

I broke the plastic tab that slides the small screen door on the interior door. Does anyone know the replacement part number for this? They also make a door handle you can screw into the interior screen door that will help open/close the doors. I have the 23IKSS and have experienced the same issues with the latch adjustment.
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:16 PM   #12

"I broke the plastic tab that slides the small screen door on the interior door. Does anyone know the replacement part number for this?"

I attached a small drawer/cabinet knob with a machine screw through a hole in the small screen frame. A lot more substantial than the original plastic loop and seems to provide a smoother slide. Just take some time to properly locate the knob to prevent interference or damage to the screen.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #13

That Plastic handle is not there to be used to close the doors,,,
It is only there to latch & unlatch the screen door !!!
I like the OLD TTs where the 2 doors were held together by a magnet !!!
No plastic latches !!! And YES on the White Lithium !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I think I may know what you are referring to. I believe the tab on the outer door is out of adjustment. I have had to readjust mine. Sometimes when you open the outer door the screen grabs and separates because the latch on it doesn't clear the door jamb. And, sometimes when you open the door from the inside the screen doesn't travel with the outer door. On mine, FR set that tab as low as it could go but, you could see that the latch stuck out from the screen door handle/mechanism. I ended up drilling a couple shallow 1/16" holes in the outer door where that elongated slotted tab was positioned. The net effect was to push the screen door handle down further(when both sections are coupled) I only moved those holes about 3/8" further down( about the length of the slot). Now the latch is pretty much recessed when both doors are coupled together. Now the screen door doesn't grab and stays with the outer door.
Thanks had the same problem and did your fix, it has never worked better a BIG thank-you....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
Trimark 2297401 door lever latch

I had the plastic ones and they snapped. I replaced them with the Trimark metal handles mentioned above. I got them on Ebay.
do you have the link to the seller or item? My nephew snapped ours off this weekend.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door