Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #1

Shaky Roo...what to doo

Hi Yall:
We are camping in the roo and we love the space. However, this is our 3rd camper and by far the shakiest. When my teenage daughter and her friend move on the front bunk...the entire thing moves. I have both wheels choked or chucked or however it is spelled on both sides front and rear. The stabilizers are down and tight. Any and all ideas welcome here...

Signed Shaky Roo in Paradise....

PS that stupid carbon monoxide/lp gas detector goes off even though the gas is off and not in use...I am thinking of getting my wire cutters and making a mod.....
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #2

Hey Bob
Funny as it sounds to cut the carbon monoxide / LP gas detector - maybe you have a faulty detector or possibly a leak somewhere and it really isnt faulty - maybe try reseting the breaker to it or push the test button or blow into the sensor to try and clear it out

Maybe try putting a 2x6 under each feet/ foot of the leveling jacks so they are not so extended out - I read somewhere that if the scissor jack is extended way out it will not help with the stability of the trailer.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Bob, do you just have the wedge chocks on the wheels or do you have a tandem wheel chock?

you really need tandem wheel chocks on both sides, along with the stabs down. the plastic wedge chocks aren't going to prevent movement like tandems.

are you sure your battery is good? normally the detector goes off when the battery is low.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The detector will also go off with certain hair sprays, deodorants, air fresheners, etc. It will go off when the 12 volt battery is low, but will be rhythmic beep. Since you mentioned front bunk, do you still have the tongue jack gown and tight?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
PS that stupid carbon monoxide/lp gas detector goes off even though the gas is off and not in use...I am thinking of getting my wire cutters and making a mod.....
I had the same issue on my '11 Shamrock and called MTI Industries in Volo, IL - the makers of the combo alarm, CO2 and LPG, they had a bad batch of models last year and they sent me a brand new one.

Probably worth a phone call.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Hi Yall:
We are camping in the roo and we love the space. However, this is our 3rd camper and by far the shakiest. When my teenage daughter and her friend move on the front bunk...the entire thing moves. I have both wheels choked or chucked or however it is spelled on both sides front and rear. The stabilizers are down and tight. Any and all ideas welcome here...

Get the Steady Fast system SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Travel Trailer Stabilizer System
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Do you have X-Chocks between both wheel sets?

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
(Kim)

Quote:
Hi Yall:

Very sorry about your 'wobble' but I dont know enough about that to give any advice.
I do however want to veer you away from your impulse to dis-connect the detectors.
Please dont do that.....years ago a close friend of ours rented RV's (2 of them) for a bunch of guys, 4 men from the second trailer died.
The detector's had not gone off to warn them.
It still freeks me out when I think about it.
I will be adding a back-up battery powered detector just to always be on the safe side.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #9

Thanks Guys....I don't have X choks...I think y'all are right on there. We just have the plastic ones on wheels...fore and aft. We are at a state park with shore power...but the detector only went off yesterday morning...been quiet since then.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

The X-Chocks will probably eliminate 90% or more of your wobble.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #11

Getting a pair of x chocks or BAL units will help quite a bit; they improved conditions to the point we don't even notice sway, though it is still there. You'll never completely eliminate movement on a platform suspended by tires. Yes, using the Lynx orange stacks or wood blocks will also remove some of the shakes as well.
Mr.Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #12

Built my own chocks for my 21SS. Some PT 4x4 and a piece of 1/2" pipe and some 1/2" pipe clamp ends for wood working. Put them between the tires and clamp them down. Takes about 90% of it out. Much better now. Cheap to make too!
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
Plug It Right

There are aftermarket stabilizing systems out there that will take care of your problem. There has been "peace in the valley" since we started using our Plug It Right brand over 5 years ago. Diana
Old 04-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #14
rbq

As other posters have said use either the homemade chock or X-chocks or Rotochocks. The regular BAL chocks will not fit between the wheels of your Roo, they are too wide, but the X-Chocks will work well. That is what we have & have been pleased with them.
rbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #15

I have BAL X-chocks and still lots of movement...
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #16

I have the BAL x-chocks and still get some movement but I think it helps a lot. I think I have the stabs racked down tight enough but I always worry about over doing it. I'm still experimenting but I think the idea mention above of not over-extending your front jack and stabs may help. Going to try using more wood blocks under them and hopefully lowering them less and see what happens.

I also find going back the next day after setup and screwing them down some helps as the rig settles over night.
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #17

I don't extend the jacks all the way either. Hmm, I'll have to experient.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #18

We added x chocks after 4 trips this year and it is much better. We use 4x4s under each scissor jack seems to hold our mini lite 2502s just fine. As far as the detector goes, ours made a whistling noise, called the dealer, they gave us a new one to swap out and it was even worse. Dealer thought it might be wiring, so we took it back to the dealer and they replaced it again and its been fine since. Best of luck, the Roos are nice we were very close to purchasing one, changed our minds in the end.
toadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #19

Diana..I love the term " peace in the valley" ... it has soo many meanings...

The problem with stablizer jacks they control some latteral movement, but they are poor at control front to back movements. I still need to get the X chocks as we are looking to do a long weekend trip in a few weeks.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #20
Plug It Right

Smokeyroo---Glad you enjoyed it, I am to please!!:
I was wondering if we were talking about the same thing. You used the term stabilizer jacks. I was talking about the permanently mounted stabilizer systems. With all 6 tube permanently mounted systems, the tubes mounted forward to back, you are attaching the frame front to back to the ground. This will stop front to back movement.
The front and rear tubes that are mounted across the front and back will definitely take out most side to side movement. At least that's what it did for us. Diana

Quote:
Diana..I love the term " peace in the valley" ... it has soo many meanings...

The problem with stablizer jacks they control some latteral movement, but they are poor at control front to back movements. I still need to get the X chocks as we are looking to do a long weekend trip in a few weeks.