Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2007, 08:30 AM   #1

Slide out questions

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced seal maintenance product?

How about the slide mechanism lube?

I was planning on using a "standard" dry silicon lube for the slide rack and a armorall type product for the seals.

I also have the slide lock bars that came with the Roo. The dealer didnt use them when he sealed up the trailer for the first trip home. When asked, he said they weren't necessary. So when I got home and went to use these, it appears that the slide is not really designed to accept these. The place where the lock bar is supposed to seat against the slide is 1.) lightweight wood trim and looks like it would not support much force and 2.) would compress and maybe tear the upper seal. Do you folks use these on your Roos?

Thanks for the input
statehoss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #2

I can't answer for a Roo as I don't own one and not sure on their mechanicals. That being said, I use synthetic grease on my slide channels (metal to metal contact). Some folks will argue against grease as it "will pick up dirt" maybe so but mine squeaked like a sonofagun until I lubed it. And when I'm driving the slide is closed and no grease is exposed. I guess if I'm out in the desert (or beach) during a sand storm then I might have to wipe it all down and reapply after the "sugar cookie" effect takes place.

Now for the seals. Whatever you use DO NOT use a petroleum based product. Over time it will degrade the rubber. Here again I don't follow what some will say. I just clean mine when I wash the trailer. I'll first scrub them with Simple Green and then while I wash the trailer I use regular carwash soap. Nothing fancy, the cheap stuff at wallyworld. Unless you "full time it" and leave you slide out for EXTENDED periods of time you don't need the fancy expensive stuff with the UV protection as it's closed most of the time. Just keep 'em clean.

Slide lock bars. Hmmmm, that's different for different rigs. I had '99 Prowler 5'er and I had 2 long wooden dowels as the slide locks. I used 'em. The slide was EXTREMELY heavy and pretty sturdy at the top so I never had any issues with it. I now have an '06 Thor Jazz and it didn't come with slide locks. This slide is considerably lighter and it tightens up nicely when I bring it in. It also runs on a worm-gear so I don't feel that slides locks would be necessary. The top is also nowhere near as sturdy (tank like) as my old Prowler. Have you tried contacting Forest River or the slide manufacturer and see what they recommend? Maybe someone else here will chime in.

Let us know what you go with for all and how they work for you.

Cheers!!

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
somewhere in one of my posts, you'll find a link to the slideout manufacturer's site. They don't receommend anything on the tubes but silicone spray applied every week or so, more often in salt air.

Aftaid I can't anser about the bars.
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
somewhere in one of my posts, you'll find a link to the slideout manufacturer's site. They don't receommend anything on the tubes but silicone spray applied every week or so, more often in salt air.
Well there you go, I'd go with the manufacturer especially if it's still under warranty.

Thanks welshman!!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to jerr7
I use the slide lube that protects the rails as well drys quickly and wont adhere any dirt or sand, been useing this quality aircraft type lube that Gruman used for years.Works great,wallyworls selld a RV type that very good and does apparently same thing
jerry
https://community.webshots.com/user/j...host=community
jerr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #6

I have a TT, not a roo, but usually the slide out lock isn't necessary. The Slide out is very unlikely to come out during transport and if it happens to run on a motor if you were to forget that you put the lock there you could punch a hole right through the wall.
Golddisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #7

Use the slide lock bars, just makes the whole unit stronger on the road. But I take mine off as soon as I get home, so they won't permanently squish the slide seals as you were concerned about.
I know some units don't come with them, and some people don't use them, but the slide has no support at the top, and I feel better knowing that the slides are secure, especially on some of the horrible roads we have these days.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote