Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #1

Summer vacation ideas?

We live in southern New Jersey, thinking of going to the far NORTH EAST or should we go WEST?( utah Colorado Wyoming) I think because we are newbies the north east is a better choice. I think the trip west should be next year when we are a little more experience. Ideas? Places? Recomodations? We have a roo 23ss
1st timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

How long are you looking for? Do you want mountains, beach, etc? What time of year, this summer etc? Do you want state park or rv resort?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Coming from where you are, the West should be visited IF you have a lot of time.
Easterners often have no concept of how BIG the West is and how long it takes to drive from place to place.
I agree that the NE should be where you get some experience under your belt before venturing out West.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Coming from where you are, the West should be visited IF you have a lot of time.
Easterners often have no concept of how BIG the West is and how long it takes to drive from place to place.
I agree that the NE should be where you get some experience under your belt before venturing out West.
I think I agree with you. I think it would take solid 3 days to drive out and then 3 days to drive back. I have 2 younger kids so that might be a bit much. Maybe next year. Also thinking I need experience. Pervious thread about water consumption and overall just getting to know what we are capable of and getting an understanding of the workings of the HTT. So maybe next year for the West is the better bet. Now in the north east would love ideas. We prefer state parks. Electric and water would be great. Still not ready for dry camping still have to get a genny. I have a beastly generator nobody want to listen to that run. Even during the day! Ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #5

Some of our favorites in the NE would include Alexandria Bay, NY and into the Adirondacks, South Hero, VT, Newport, VT, Greenville, ME, Lubec, ME, St. Agatha, ME. They are somewhat isolated with access to water.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #6

Playing the other side of the coin....its really what you feel good about doing. Personally it has taken us nearly 4 seasons to attempt a long one. We seem to venture a little further each year partly because the kids are getting older and such. Everyone's outlook varies on what they think they can handle. Look at it this way, no matter what you decide you will come away with some good storys and memories. Because you asked for some recommendations.....if you were wanting to get off the east coast and could put in the travel time the Smokey mountains would be a wise choice. Also, I have heard good things about Myrtle Beach and how RV Friendly it is. Check out RV Family Travel Atlas podcast. There is a ton of great info on there for travleing with kids in an RV.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Correct. You can drive 3 days and not leave Texas. 2 full days for Montana.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Playing the other side of the coin....its really what you feel good about doing. Personally it has taken us nearly 4 seasons to attempt a long one. We seem to venture a little further each year partly because the kids are getting older and such. Everyone's outlook varies on what they think they can handle. Look at it this way, no matter what you decide you will come away with some good storys and memories. Because you asked for some recommendations.....if you were wanting to get off the east coast and could put in the travel time the Smokey mountains would be a wise choice. Also, I have heard good things about Myrtle Beach and how RV Friendly it is. Check out RV Family Travel Atlas podcast. There is a ton of great info on there for travleing with kids in an RV.
Thanks for the info. Will check that pod cast out. Wow I forgot about Myrtle Beach. I have not been there in years and from what I remember it was rv friendly. Not this year but it could be a spot for next year. We went to Vermont last summer and loved it. I think in the hot summer we may want to go north.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Before going west, plan on a week in Branson, MO. Shopping, go carts, shows, Old Matt's Cabin, Silver Dollar City and it is ALL family oriented.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyG View Post
Some of our favorites in the NE would include Alexandria Bay, NY and into the Adirondacks, South Hero, VT, Newport, VT, Greenville, ME, Lubec, ME, St. Agatha, ME. They are somewhat isolated with access to water.
Thanks for the ideas we are researching them tonight. They look great!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #11

Family or couples retreat?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Family or couples retreat?
Family, 8 yr old boy and 4 yr old girl.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #13

J. C. Cooper Campground at Kerr Lake Rec Area N.C. Waterfront sites with electric. This is my new favorite campground. It is in NC and Va. but stick with NC and you can swim off of your site, pull your boat up and fish. Not much else to do-my kind of camping.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #14

Have you considered South Dakota. The Black Hills have lots do and see. Custer State Park is beautiful. The kids would love the buffalo and wild burros! Loads of camping. It would be a shorter ride with small children, but still feels like the old west!
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #15

Some folks travel out West regularly with their kids of all ages & just choose age-appropriate hikes. However, IMO 3-4 days of traveling without any fun stops is a lot for 4-8 year-olds. I like OldCoot's idea of going to Branson, MO before a full trip out West... Lots to do. You could stop at King's Island (here in OH) for a mid-way break. Your kids will be tired & travel better the next day...

However, it's 10+ hours from NJ to King's Island & another 10+ hours to Branson... From Branson, Grand Canyon Nat'l Park or Yellowstone are both another (2) 10+ hour days... IMO a trip out West is a 3 week vacation. Right now we have enough time-off but will need to save more. Our plan is to go out West before the kids get into high school...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
J. C. Cooper Campground at Kerr Lake Rec Area N.C. Waterfront sites with electric. This is my new favorite campground. It is in NC and Va. but stick with NC and you can swim off of your site, pull your boat up and fish. Not much else to do-my kind of camping.
I live on Kerr lake all the COE CG are on the water if you get a site on the water. You can swim or even beach your boat. Also there is a great little Town on the water, the only Town in Virginia on the water it's called Clarksville. I'll attach a copy of Longwood on the water. 24 bucks a night and with a golden pass 12.00.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Longwood COE.pdf (338.1 KB, 38 views)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #17
Site Team

A little closer to you, and not the west, but great family area in the great smoky mountain Natl park, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg. Dollywood amusement pk, live shows, go carts, putt putt, etc., plus great drives thru the nations mist visited park. Wildlife, fishing, hiking. Lots of CGS and RV Parks.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:21 PM   #18
Wait till next year...

Come on north plenty of private or state campgrounds open now. Rhode Island has Federal Hill,Point Judith beaches and take a ferry to Block Island,Massachusetts has Sturbridge village, Wells state park(dry camping), Boston-Aqurium,Faneuil Hall,Freedom Trail and Regina's Pizzaeria, Cape Cod beaches Ferries to Nantucket, Marthas Vinyard .Go north to Portsmouth nh and "Where pigs fly" artistan breads,Wells,Ogunquit,Nubble light,Old Orchard Beach, Portland Head Light,Desert of Maine,Acadia(spend a week here,lots to do) cross over to Nova Scotia on a day tour. Hit the White Mountains in New Hampshire,Mount Washington Cog railway,Story Town. West to the Green Mountains, Stowe in the summer is as active as the ski season great state parks(dry camping) Lake Champlain, Burlingtons short interesting rail trail. Theres a neat little city run campground right in Burlington-best on week days-right on the rail trail. Crown point and Fort Henry in New York have always been a favorite- So come on North. Yes i am a rock ribbed New Englander and enjoy the fact we're less than a days ride from most of the attractions here. As has been said thats a big country out there.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:21 PM   #19

Cadillac Mountain in Maine is awesome!! We went there in August one year when I lived in NJ. Also New Hampshire is absolutley georgeous