Old 04-27-2015, 11:31 PM   #1

Summer vacation ideas?

We live in southern New Jersey, thinking of going to the far NORTH EAST or should we go WEST?( utah Colorado Wyoming) I think because we are newbies the north east is a better choice. I think the trip west should be next year when we are a little more experience. Ideas? Places? Recomodations? We have a roo 23ss

Old 04-28-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
Site Team

How long are you looking for? Do you want mountains, beach, etc? What time of year, this summer etc? Do you want state park or rv resort?

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

Coming from where you are, the West should be visited IF you have a lot of time.
Easterners often have no concept of how BIG the West is and how long it takes to drive from place to place.
I agree that the NE should be where you get some experience under your belt before venturing out West.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Coming from where you are, the West should be visited IF you have a lot of time.
Easterners often have no concept of how BIG the West is and how long it takes to drive from place to place.
I agree that the NE should be where you get some experience under your belt before venturing out West.
I think I agree with you. I think it would take solid 3 days to drive out and then 3 days to drive back. I have 2 younger kids so that might be a bit much. Maybe next year. Also thinking I need experience. Pervious thread about water consumption and overall just getting to know what we are capable of and getting an understanding of the workings of the HTT. So maybe next year for the West is the better bet. Now in the north east would love ideas. We prefer state parks. Electric and water would be great. Still not ready for dry camping still have to get a genny. I have a beastly generator nobody want to listen to that run. Even during the day! Ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #5

Some of our favorites in the NE would include Alexandria Bay, NY and into the Adirondacks, South Hero, VT, Newport, VT, Greenville, ME, Lubec, ME, St. Agatha, ME. They are somewhat isolated with access to water.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #6

Playing the other side of the coin....its really what you feel good about doing. Personally it has taken us nearly 4 seasons to attempt a long one. We seem to venture a little further each year partly because the kids are getting older and such. Everyone's outlook varies on what they think they can handle. Look at it this way, no matter what you decide you will come away with some good storys and memories. Because you asked for some recommendations.....if you were wanting to get off the east coast and could put in the travel time the Smokey mountains would be a wise choice. Also, I have heard good things about Myrtle Beach and how RV Friendly it is. Check out RV Family Travel Atlas podcast. There is a ton of great info on there for travleing with kids in an RV.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Correct. You can drive 3 days and not leave Texas. 2 full days for Montana.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Playing the other side of the coin....its really what you feel good about doing. Personally it has taken us nearly 4 seasons to attempt a long one. We seem to venture a little further each year partly because the kids are getting older and such. Everyone's outlook varies on what they think they can handle. Look at it this way, no matter what you decide you will come away with some good storys and memories. Because you asked for some recommendations.....if you were wanting to get off the east coast and could put in the travel time the Smokey mountains would be a wise choice. Also, I have heard good things about Myrtle Beach and how RV Friendly it is. Check out RV Family Travel Atlas podcast. There is a ton of great info on there for travleing with kids in an RV.
Thanks for the info. Will check that pod cast out. Wow I forgot about Myrtle Beach. I have not been there in years and from what I remember it was rv friendly. Not this year but it could be a spot for next year. We went to Vermont last summer and loved it. I think in the hot summer we may want to go north.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Before going west, plan on a week in Branson, MO. Shopping, go carts, shows, Old Matt's Cabin, Silver Dollar City and it is ALL family oriented.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyG View Post
Some of our favorites in the NE would include Alexandria Bay, NY and into the Adirondacks, South Hero, VT, Newport, VT, Greenville, ME, Lubec, ME, St. Agatha, ME. They are somewhat isolated with access to water.
Thanks for the ideas we are researching them tonight. They look great!