Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #1

Surveyor VS the ROO

Hi all,

DH and I are first time camper owners (or hope to be soon anyway!!) and we are REALLY torn between 2 hybrid trailers... a 2005 Surveyor 233t or a 2011 Roo 233S...although the years are far apart, price wise there is only a $500 difference. (The Surveyor is more). We like the Roo because it sleeps more people, but the dealership the Surveyor is coming from is known for their exceptional customer service and assure us a good quality trailer, in spite of it being 9 years old. Both trailers and canvasses seem to be in excellent condition. There are cosmetic pros and cons that we can both think of for either trailer, but since we are first timers with NO hybrid experience whatsoever, I thought I would poll the audience! I would love to hear from you if you have had one or both of these trailers! Thanks!
Seasonal Campers!
2010 Cherokee 30BH
Mrs CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Site Team

the roo being 6 years newer, would be the much better buy, no matter what the Surveyor dealer says.
There have been many improvements in hybrids, since 2005.
But the two hybrids you're looking at, are quite different.
The 233T is a perfect hybrid for a couple or small family.
The 233S is really for a large family, otherwise the third bunk end is a waste and another big hole in the side of the trailer that will require the same maintenence and constant and careful inspections.
But that Surveyor is way overpriced if a 6 year newer hybrid is cheaper.
IMHO, the quality is equal.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Broken Toe

If they want $500 MORE for a 6 year older trailer, obviously your dealer is smoking dope in outer space, and you cant trust a word he says. He is probably pushing the Surveyor because he got it for next to nothing as a trade in, and will make a larger profit selling it to you instead of the Roo.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #4

A six year newer trailer for the same money is a no-brainer... You still have to condsider the floorplans, features, etc, but just the sun and the weather takes a toll on a camper's roof, seals & gaskets, tires, etc. If was stored indoors, maybe that's not as much of a concern. But also consider re-sale value if you sell or trade up in a couple years.

And to Cowracer's point - something doesn't make sense with their pricing. Check around for some similar used units and get a couple more prices. Seems like either the 2011 is a great deal, or the 2005 is overpriced. Either way, having some other quotes gives you something to use to negotiate with.

And if you really don't need/want the 3 beds of the 233S, look around some more. Hybrids are funny in that a some people buy them for the shorter length/lower weight, then they quickly decide they don't like sleeping under the canvas and they trade them a year later on a hard sided model. So there should be a decent selection of used models out there.

And last caution - while I don't believe most hybrids have leak issues, there are some out there that do. Check the bunk ends very carefully. If you find any soft spots on the doors or signs of the fiberglass delaminating, move on. There are plenty of good units out there, so I wouldn't touch one that has issues.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #5

If these are both at a dealer, they probably paid NO MORE than wholesale book on them. Maybe less to an un-savvy consumer, regardless of condition or price. That means, in essence, they are crooks, because they didn't pay a premium for the condition (assuming it is that great on the Surveyor) but are asking you to pay for it. The dealer being known for great service has little to do with this transaction IMHO. Neither will have warranty and you'll be paying out of pocket for any repairs no matter what. My advice is to bypass the dealer and find a used one on Craigslist. You'll pay less, the owner will get more, and you can meet the people that owned it. You get NO recourse when buying used from a dealer, you just get to pay more and know less about the camper. (I would check out all systems when buying from an individual)
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
A six year newer trailer for the same money is a no-brainer... You still have to condsider the floorplans, features, etc, but just the sun and the weather takes a toll on a camper's roof, seals & gaskets, tires, etc. If was stored indoors, maybe that's not as much of a concern. But also consider re-sale value if you sell or trade up in a couple years.

And to Cowracer's point - something doesn't make sense with their pricing. Check around for some similar used units and get a couple more prices. Seems like either the 2011 is a great deal, or the 2005 is overpriced. Either way, having some other quotes gives you something to use to negotiate with.

And if you really don't need/want the 3 beds of the 233S, look around some more. Hybrids are funny in that a some people buy them for the shorter length/lower weight, then they quickly decide they don't like sleeping under the canvas and they trade them a year later on a hard sided model. So there should be a decent selection of used models out there.

And last caution - while I don't believe most hybrids have leak issues, there are some out there that do. Check the bunk ends very carefully. If you find any soft spots on the doors or signs of the fiberglass delaminating, move on. There are plenty of good units out there, so I wouldn't touch one that has issues.

I couldn't agree more.

I own a 2011 233S. I got a great deal. I also got leaks in the bunk ends and signs of delamenation.

We like of camper and it fits us well. It also is within our towing capacity. Just do your due diligence.
FourWheelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #7

Either something is wrong with the roo or they just don't know how to price trailers. If they have the same features.... seems like the newer one is better, but I'm not you and can't see what you see. So really ... you have to make sure all appliances work, all structure is intact and not covering up a leak or past problem, and make sure the trailer frame and axles are good no matter which one you look at. Which ever one gives you an "iffy" feeling or bad vibe... You'll know which one to buy... If either.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
Boondocking Only

Get the Roo....much better deal. Good luck.
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #9
Happy Keystone Owner

Never pay a RV dealer more than book value. RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides

I bought an '06 233T in early '11 for $9000 in very, very good condition and traded it in Oct '13. It now sits on the dealer's lot for $13995.
NADA's retail low price for my trade is $7200, if you were to be buying not trade in value, which is pretty close to what I got for it. They'll get $7500-$8000 for it and be glad that they did!

See my point?
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Canadian Member

If you don't mind, who is the dealer selling the Surveyor and what are they asking for it. I live just east of Toronto so I have a feel for prices in your area. Others on the forum may be able to offer an opinion on the dealer.

Like others here, I don't understand how a 2005 Surveyor can be priced $500 more than a 2011 Roo of similar size. I agree with Bikendan that the 2011 Roo should be an improved design vs. the 2005 Surveyor. Something is not right here.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, surveyor