Old 01-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #1

Thinking about buying a ROO/Shamrock 21SS at next weekends Dayton RV Show

Hi all,
Current owner of a Viking pop up camper for about 8 yrs now. We have been looking at hybrids for about 6 months and have decided IF we are going to buy, we have narrowed it down to a 2019 ROO/Shamrock 21SS. There is an RV show in Dayton next weekend and we are going to check it out. The last couple of RV shows we visited had very little hybrids on display but we are still going just to kick some tires and see if we can get a decent deal on a new 21SS.

Question- I have never bought a new Trailer and was wandering how negotiable are the prices? Also, can we expect a better deal at the show?
We visited a dealer back in the summer who offered a lifetime warranty (through independent insurance policy) on units bought from his place but I donít recall the dealers name right at the moment. Iím suspecting his pricing might be on the high end but is this something to seriously look at?

BTW- TV is a RAM 2500 6.4 hemi gas, so no issues with towing.

bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

First off welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of good help here. Campers are like anything else you can negotiate with some dealers. Normally they will be marked down some. Personally I'd stay away from the life time warranty as you hav to take it back to dealer every year and pay a fee for the inspection to keep your warranty enforce.

If and when you do buy new make sure to do a good PDI (pre delivery inspection) and make sure every thing works before signing on the dotted line. Later RJD

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 30
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
Canadian Member

Roos and Shamrocks are very good brands in the hybrid market. Not perfect but definitely above average in quality.

The rule of thumb here seems to be don't pay more than 65-70% of the MSRP. The trick is to understand what the MSRP is because dealers all quote different numbers. Do some research for pricing sheets that show consistent base and option pricing.

RV show prices likely are not the lowest they'll go.

Finally, check the dealer reviews section on this forum for dealers in your area.
Dealer Reviews - Forest River Forums

You may well be able to get much better pricing if you're willing to travel to get that price. Shop local only if the dealer has a good reputation and deserves your business!

Good luck!
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
Site Team

I've never found RV show prices that couldn't be matched or beat by negotiating at the dealerships.
Have you gotten prices from RVW or RV Direct? Both are among the top Roo sellers and offer prices that you can shop around with.
Since RVW is in Ohio, not sure why you haven't started with them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #5

Thanks bikendan, I have contacted RVW, they have given me a price on an in stock unit and a unit that I ďbuilt with optionsĒ.
They are located approximately 4 hrs away from me. I was hoping to go a little more local. Iíd spend a little more money to buy from a reputable dealer near me.
I also saw in their quote that the price given was with a discount dependent on financing with them. I am not looking to finance so I will call them over the weekend and get more details. I also have no idea how their service system works. Definitely need more information on that. Can anyone elaborate on that?
Old 01-10-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
Site Team

Just do a search here on RVW. The co-owner is a member here and you see many happy customers.
You also can PM him with your questions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #7

although any trailer can have problems I found zero problems with my 2014 Shamrock hybrid... having a dealer backup is not all that it is cracked up to be because there are independent service centers AND mobile RV repairmen that will also tackle your warranty work with pre-approval from the factory. I have literally never been back to my dealer. BTW I bought mine at Colerain RV that has stores in Indianapolis and Fairfield OH and they gave me a very good price. I would never consider an extended warranty if you are half-way handy with tools.

I believe you are good for kicking tires at the show, but go to the dealer to make a deal...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #8

Welcome neighbor.

We are in Centerville.

Our opinion was the Dayton show was a bust. Several dealers have much more stock on their lots. I thought their deals were easily matched. A waste of the entrance price.

We received the best, no BS price from a local dealer. Couch rv nation in Hamilton. Great service as well. Brannon, I think was the salesmanís name.

Be patient and keep shopping. Spend the next months looking. Know what you want. What things cost.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the advice! We will be skipping the RV show and will be working with the dealers. I have contacted RV Wholesale and found the co-owner who is on this website. I will follow up with the voicemail left by one of their sales rep.
I also made a mistake about how far RVW is from home. I thought they were up by Lake Erie but it turns out they are only an hour out of Dayton. Thatís a Win!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #10

Remember that you are nearing the end of the 2019 model year which should give you some bargaining power on in-stock units.

CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, shamrock, show