Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #1

Thinking about buying a ROO/Shamrock 21SS at next weekends Dayton RV Show

Hi all,
Current owner of a Viking pop up camper for about 8 yrs now. We have been looking at hybrids for about 6 months and have decided IF we are going to buy, we have narrowed it down to a 2019 ROO/Shamrock 21SS. There is an RV show in Dayton next weekend and we are going to check it out. The last couple of RV shows we visited had very little hybrids on display but we are still going just to kick some tires and see if we can get a decent deal on a new 21SS.

Question- I have never bought a new Trailer and was wandering how negotiable are the prices? Also, can we expect a better deal at the show?
We visited a dealer back in the summer who offered a lifetime warranty (through independent insurance policy) on units bought from his place but I don’t recall the dealers name right at the moment. I’m suspecting his pricing might be on the high end but is this something to seriously look at?

BTW- TV is a RAM 2500 6.4 hemi gas, so no issues with towing.
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

First off welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of good help here. Campers are like anything else you can negotiate with some dealers. Normally they will be marked down some. Personally I'd stay away from the life time warranty as you hav to take it back to dealer every year and pay a fee for the inspection to keep your warranty enforce.

If and when you do buy new make sure to do a good PDI (pre delivery inspection) and make sure every thing works before signing on the dotted line. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
Canadian Member

Roos and Shamrocks are very good brands in the hybrid market. Not perfect but definitely above average in quality.

The rule of thumb here seems to be don't pay more than 65-70% of the MSRP. The trick is to understand what the MSRP is because dealers all quote different numbers. Do some research for pricing sheets that show consistent base and option pricing.

RV show prices likely are not the lowest they'll go.

Finally, check the dealer reviews section on this forum for dealers in your area.
Dealer Reviews - Forest River Forums

You may well be able to get much better pricing if you're willing to travel to get that price. Shop local only if the dealer has a good reputation and deserves your business!

Good luck!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
Site Team

I've never found RV show prices that couldn't be matched or beat by negotiating at the dealerships.
Have you gotten prices from RVW or RV Direct? Both are among the top Roo sellers and offer prices that you can shop around with.
Since RVW is in Ohio, not sure why you haven't started with them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #5

Thanks bikendan, I have contacted RVW, they have given me a price on an in stock unit and a unit that I “built with options”.
They are located approximately 4 hrs away from me. I was hoping to go a little more local. I’d spend a little more money to buy from a reputable dealer near me.
I also saw in their quote that the price given was with a discount dependent on financing with them. I am not looking to finance so I will call them over the weekend and get more details. I also have no idea how their service system works. Definitely need more information on that. Can anyone elaborate on that?
Old 01-10-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
Site Team

Just do a search here on RVW. The co-owner is a member here and you see many happy customers.
You also can PM him with your questions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #7

although any trailer can have problems I found zero problems with my 2014 Shamrock hybrid... having a dealer backup is not all that it is cracked up to be because there are independent service centers AND mobile RV repairmen that will also tackle your warranty work with pre-approval from the factory. I have literally never been back to my dealer. BTW I bought mine at Colerain RV that has stores in Indianapolis and Fairfield OH and they gave me a very good price. I would never consider an extended warranty if you are half-way handy with tools.

I believe you are good for kicking tires at the show, but go to the dealer to make a deal...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #8

Welcome neighbor.

We are in Centerville.

Our opinion was the Dayton show was a bust. Several dealers have much more stock on their lots. I thought their deals were easily matched. A waste of the entrance price.

We received the best, no BS price from a local dealer. Couch rv nation in Hamilton. Great service as well. Brannon, I think was the salesman’s name.

Be patient and keep shopping. Spend the next months looking. Know what you want. What things cost.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the advice! We will be skipping the RV show and will be working with the dealers. I have contacted RV Wholesale and found the co-owner who is on this website. I will follow up with the voicemail left by one of their sales rep.
I also made a mistake about how far RVW is from home. I thought they were up by Lake Erie but it turns out they are only an hour out of Dayton. That’s a Win!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #10

Remember that you are nearing the end of the 2019 model year which should give you some bargaining power on in-stock units.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat1 View Post
Hi all,
Current owner of a Viking pop up camper for about 8 yrs now. We have been looking at hybrids for about 6 months and have decided IF we are going to buy, we have narrowed it down to a 2019 ROO/Shamrock 21SS. There is an RV show in Dayton next weekend and we are going to check it out. The last couple of RV shows we visited had very little hybrids on display but we are still going just to kick some tires and see if we can get a decent deal on a new 21SS.

Question- I have never bought a new Trailer and was wandering how negotiable are the prices? Also, can we expect a better deal at the show?
We visited a dealer back in the summer who offered a lifetime warranty (through independent insurance policy) on units bought from his place but I don’t recall the dealers name right at the moment. I’m suspecting his pricing might be on the high end but is this something to seriously look at?

BTW- TV is a RAM 2500 6.4 hemi gas, so no issues with towing.
i went and have purchased 2 from Paul Sherry rv in Dayton, i checked pricing all over the place with google and they had the lowest so far. With that said my second purchase was about 3k cheaper than anywhere, Matt Jones was my sales guy, check him out, huge inventory, good luck
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #12

Thanks madatme, I will check them out too.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #13
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
[...] I’d spend a little more money to buy from a reputable dealer near me. [...]
You certainly don't have to justify this to me, but I'd encourage you to think through this critically to make sure you know why. There are quite a few threads here that debate the price vs local trade-off scenario.

Also, make sure you walk through a Mini/Micro Lite trailer. They're equivalent to Hybrids in terms of size, weight, and price. Just make sure that you have explored the alternatives before the large purchase. (I'm suffering from a little recency bias, as I've recently seen two 1-year old hybrid owners trade back in for a travel trailer.)

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post

Also, make sure you walk through a Mini/Micro Lite trailer. They're equivalent to Hybrids in terms of size, weight, and price.
The Mini/Micro Lite trailers have no where near the sleeping capacity or roominess of a comparably sized hybrid TT.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
You certainly don't have to justify this to me, but I'd encourage you to think through this critically to make sure you know why. There are quite a few threads here that debate the price vs local trade-off scenario.

Also, make sure you walk through a Mini/Micro Lite trailer. They're equivalent to Hybrids in terms of size, weight, and price. Just make sure that you have explored the alternatives before the large purchase. (I'm suffering from a little recency bias, as I've recently seen two 1-year old hybrid owners trade back in for a travel trailer.)

Good luck.

Thanks but we know we do not want a micro/mini lite TT. I’d rather buy local but if I have to travel, not a problem.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
i went and have purchased 2 from Paul Sherry rv in Dayton, i checked pricing all over the place with google and they had the lowest so far. With that said my second purchase was about 3k cheaper than anywhere, Matt Jones was my sales guy, check him out, huge inventory, good luck

Did you buy a ROO/Shamrock from Sherry’s? I checked Paul Sherry’s website but it doesn’t look like they sell ROO/Shamrocks? Are they able to order?
Old 01-15-2019, 10:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Did you buy a ROO/Shamrock from Sherry’s? I checked Paul Sherry’s website but it doesn’t look like they sell ROO/Shamrocks? Are they able to order?
no i did not buy that unit, i purchased a FR Wolf Pup 23footer, traded it in for a FR Vibe 34footer, can they order ? i dont know, call Matt Jones and ask him, tell him Greg B sent you and good luck, like I said there prices are pretty good
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:46 PM   #18

Instead of going to the RV show in Dayton OH today, my DW and I decided to drive right past it and head to RVW instead. RVW is located only about an hour from Dayton.

After talking with the sales people and seeing the unit, we signed the paperwork to buy a 2019 ROO 21SS (in stock). WooHoo!

Since RVW “gives a discount” to finance through one of their banks, we decided to go that route. However, because we had previously put a freeze on our credit reports, we will have to wait until next week to find out more details.

Not sure when we will take delivery. Since it’s cold as heck and snowing here in OH, we are in no hurry to get it so we hope to put off closing and delivery as long as possible.

Kinda excited to go from our pop-up to a hard side unit.

All and all, the process was pretty smooth. Everyone we dealt with was very nice and respectful. Lane (who works with Mitch) was our main salesman and he knew the unit pretty well.

Just hoping delivery goes as good as today. I’ll let you know!
Old 01-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #19

GREAT!

Quote:
Not sure when we will take delivery. Since it’s cold as heck and snowing here in OH, we are in no hurry to get it so we hope to put off closing and delivery as long as possible.
I would not wait that long... the weather should be good enough to pickup by early to mid-April. Much after that the dealership will get busy. Besides, storing it at the dealer will put the rig at risk of being accidentally backed into, having a "critical" part borrowed to fix another sold rig, and who knows what.

Weather or not they store it outside or you store it outside, it is still outside, just under your control and not theirs.

After the PDI, ask that they BLOW-OUT the water lines while you are there and make it freeze proof again.

Take the time to get yourself a TPMS to install, and start ordering and getting a tire jack and all that other stuff you will need to add to your new toy.

I believe there are lists on this forum of what others consider necessities for on the road.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #20

Hey rsdata....All good advice! If we get a break in the weather in the next month or so, meaning no salt on the roads, I’ll get go get it.

Once financing gets approved, it’s supposed to be moved to a side lot for safe keeping. Never considered them “ borrowing parts”.

TPMS system? Easy to install? I’ll have to YouTube it. I’ve got it on my vehicles but hadn’t considered putting them on the ROO.

Yep, I’ve started a shopping list of all the accessories we will need.
#1 - Furion observation camera.

Tags
roo, shamrock, show