Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 10:04 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to eprovenzano Send a message via MSN to eprovenzano
Thinking about trying primitive camping

Just returned from another successful weekend trip... We went to Pymatuning Lake, Jamestown Campground. Great place, highly recommend to all campers. We decided previously if full hookups were available to get them. Even with full hookup's we usually don't fully use our bathroom, but this weekend we decided to use it... For me, I'm a bigger guy, yes the shower is small, but I was able to use it and the other enmities without a problem. Using your own facilities is a nice treat.

We noticed, as with many state park campgrounds, many of the sites that are on the lake front with the some of the best views are primitive sites. The wife and I talked about it, and after careful discussion thought we need to try our hand at primitive camping.

When I needed to add a battery to my HTT, I went with a DC 31 battery. At this point none of the lights have been switched to LED, (I'm researching that now). I'm also in the process of looking into 12 volt converters for my CPAP machine (this is a must have), and last but not least, I'm going to look into a 100 watt solar system. Other than switching out the lights for LED's, watching power usage, is there anything else I need to think about?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
Site Team

That's also known as "boondocking". We have an entire sub-forum here dedicated to it. Check it out here:

Boondocking - Forest River Forums
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
Site Team

It's also known as "dry camping", when you camp in a developed campground with no hookups.
You can also get an small inverter to run your CPAP, if you can't find a 12v adapter.
What will you do for replenishing fresh water?
We've been dry camping for 15 years and here's what we use:
Small inverter
Honda 2000w inverter generator
15 gallon Barker tote tank for gray water
6 gallon fresh water jug
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #4

I just ordered a 12 volt adapter for the CPAP... (its a must have requirement). I'm now looking at the LED light replacements. Most of the places I'm thinking of camping at do have water available and dump facilities. If water is not available or I'll fill up before getting to the location. A tote tank will definitely be on my Xmas list. Wasn't thinking about an inverter generator. I'll start checking the local ads for one.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

I have the 12v. adaptor for my CPAP, works great. But if you are in an RV, it's not 'primitive camping' lol. Where I am that refers to sites only accessible by canoe or on foot. Unfortunately since needing the CPAP, I can't primitive camp, gotta lug a battery. Try THAT with a backpack!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I have the 12v. adaptor for my CPAP, works great. But if you are in an RV, it's not 'primitive camping' lol. Where I am that refers to sites only accessible by canoe or on foot. Unfortunately since needing the CPAP, I can't primitive camp, gotta lug a battery. Try THAT with a backpack!
Ok... not "primitive" camping... Boon dock glamping... lol.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #7

Your trailer should have enough tank capacity for a long weekend of boon docking . We can make it quite a long time if me and the kids bath in the lake and only my DW uses the shower . The only issue I see for you is making sure you have enough battery for your CPAP to run all night .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #8

If you need to boost up the charge level of your RV batteries. Hook your Tow Vehicle up to your RV batteries with jumper cables and let your TV idle for about 10-15 minutes. This charge will come off your TV battery, but it will get the full push voltage from your Alternator (14.5v)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

I never have a problem running CPAP for multiple nights as long as I turn off the heater on the humidifier and the heated hose. Anything involving a heater will suck down the amps right quick!
Old 09-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
Newly Retired

Ya, primitive camping is without an RV, or much else.
I find camping without hookups very easy to do as long as air conditioning is not needed.
Since I got used to my single cup, drip coffee maker, I don't even use the electric one when I can. Heat water on the stove and pour it in.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #11
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprovenzano View Post
Just returned from another successful weekend trip... We went to Pymatuning Lake, Jamestown Campground. Great place, highly recommend to all campers. We decided previously if full hookups were available to get them. Even with full hookup's we usually don't fully use our bathroom, but this weekend we decided to use it... For me, I'm a bigger guy, yes the shower is small, but I was able to use it and the other enmities without a problem. Using your own facilities is a nice treat.

We noticed, as with many state park campgrounds, many of the sites that are on the lake front with the some of the best views are primitive sites. The wife and I talked about it, and after careful discussion thought we need to try our hand at primitive camping.

When I needed to add a battery to my HTT, I went with a DC 31 battery. At this point none of the lights have been switched to LED, (I'm researching that now). I'm also in the process of looking into 12 volt converters for my CPAP machine (this is a must have), and last but not least, I'm going to look into a 100 watt solar system. Other than switching out the lights for LED's, watching power usage, is there anything else I need to think about?
Location of the nearest Motel or hotel.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
Location of the nearest Motel or hotel.
That's what Google's for.... lol
Old 09-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #13

If you want to easily test out boondocking then setup and camp the weekend in your yard or at the closest campground. Then you will know and learn how you are using water and power. Remember in your yard no cheating...

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #14
Site Team

When adding batteries, it is best to keep them as well matched ( capacity, type,age) as possible. They will last longer. If you go with a 100W solar panel, get a controller that will handle 200-300W. That way you do not have to replace the controller when you add panels.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #15

We keep the Blue Ice bricks in the freezer to help keep it colder. Having pit toilets in the campground is a big asset. Most of the national forest sites have no hookups, but do have drinking water and pit toilets available. I think we are going to add a little shower tent, and a solar shower. We are very prudent with the fresh water in the Rv, and do our best not to fill up the black water tank. We use paper places, and I try to limit how many pots and utensils I use to cook with, so dishwashing does not take up a lot of fresh water. We would not have managed without the generator. Ran it about 2-3 hours a day to keep the batteries charged. We also keep lots of games and books so we have something to do in the evenings.
nanniwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Since I got used to my single cup, drip coffee maker, I don't even use the electric one when I can. Heat water on the stove and pour it in.
Love my Farberware stovetop percolator. Makes better coffee than any drip electric anyway! Really bugs your eyes out, lol
Old 09-27-2018, 12:48 AM   #17

Often where you boondock, there is not internet or cell phone service. Google is worthless in the boonies.
nanniwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #18

Just because you don't have full hookups doesn't mean that you have to do without good food, served on nice plates. We can cook a very nice meal with just 2 pans. We have a list of 2 pot meals that are restaurant quality and don't take forever to prepare. We have never washed dishes in the sink of our camper (one RV and now on the second TT) I heat up about 1 1/2 gallons of water and wash dishes and pans on the end of the picnic table. We were long time tent campers so we think that anything beyond sleeping in a bag on the floor is pure l uxury.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

Same with us BarabooBob, I am looking forward to my little GeoPro and unparalleled camping luxury! I don't like idea of paper plates, i hate eating off them, and they seem horribly wasteful. I bought a set of lightweight 'melamine' plates that are attractive, and don't conduct heat like those crappy enamel covered metal plates that burn your hand and lap, and cool off your food in 2 seconds. Thought those were cool when I was younger, pretending to be a prospector or a cowboy. screw that, lol.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #20

Just ordered led lights for a full conversion. 12 volt converter for CPAP will be delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to managing power and water consumption.

Tags
camping