Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2017, 07:59 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to eprovenzano Send a message via MSN to eprovenzano
Thoughts from the Weekend Camping Trip

I love my hybrid. After upgrading from a pup, I'm really enjoying the hybrid and its amenities. But like i did when I owned a pup... there are a few things I'd like to change...

1.) the bed... in the popup we added a 4" memory foam under the mattress... really comfortable. The HTT needs something too... just not enough padding. I was hoping not to... but I will be adding a 2 - 3" memory foam to one of the beds... (for momma and me)

2.) Need to convert my portable gas grill to low pressure so I can use the on board propane Just tired of carrying the little bottles

3.) Wifi service at most campgrounds is really bad... I know put the phone down... but with my work, I cannot and need access. So I'm looking at the WIFI Camp Pro long range WIFI repeater kit. The reviews are pretty good, setup is pretty basic, and it won't break the bank.

Anyone use a WIFI setup in their rigs?
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

As far as #2, what grill? I made my coleman into a quick connect to loose the bottles as well.

For #3 problem with wifi at CG is they all seem to such, if you do get a good signal then you get no speed. I'd look at a data plan then make my data have the best antenna and booster.

Edit. It is a coleman roadtrip grill

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:54 AM   #3

I can't remember the grill's name / model. but I do know the Camco 57274 LP Gas Control Valve W/Quick Connect https://www.rvupgradestore.com/LP-Ga...599263BDDD56EA is a direct fit... coupled with the Camco 57282 10' Propane Quick Connect Hose https://www.rvupgradestore.com/10-RV...-p/06-0108.htm will allow me to convert the grill to low pressure and will utilize the quick disconnect on the HTT.

I know campground WIFI's can be slow... but for my needs I think I can work with it. The unit I'm looking at is under $150.00 so while not cheap, it's not going to break the bank either. I'm planning on mounting the Omni-Directional Outdoor Antenna to my batwing TV antenna. When I raise the antenna the WIFI antenna will be at the highest point hopefully giving me the best possible chance of receiving and sending the WIFI signal.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Always Learning

Depending on what grill you have, I just installed this Converta-Q and was really impressed with the setup. My first cooking is on it tonight.

Weber Q RV Quick Connect Kit - propanegear

Otherwise, for #3 - coming from someone who full times and works a 9-5 job from the rig...

Before you buy a wifi booster, make sure the campground wifi is worth boosting. If you go to where the wifi is being broadcast (the equipment in the park) and stand close to it- do you get decent performance? If so, a wifi booster will help. If not, the booster won't help.

If you rely on internet for work- the only real viable solution is to carrying your own via cellular data. If you need to boost your cellular service, there are options out there.

See if this helps:
Mobile Internet on the Road | Learn To RV
Old 07-31-2017, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprovenzano View Post

1.) the bed... in the popup we added a 4" memory foam under the mattress... really comfortable. The HTT needs something too... just not enough padding. I was hoping not to... but I will be adding a 2 - 3" memory foam to one of the beds... (for momma and me)
Why did you put it under the mattress? I have an inquiring mind.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:19 PM   #6

I have had problem getting my repeater to connect to CG's Wifi, Amped Pro is what I have. I am wondering if they somehow limit it? I am considering cellular instead.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #7

The mattresses in the trailers are the cheapest I have ever seen. Considering the price of trailers it's about time they upgraded them. Our trailer we bought used and the first thing we did was throw out the mattresses and had new ones made for the bunks, $300 for the 3/4 bottom and single top, they are 6in. thick, customer made to fit. And we bought a good queen mattress at a place that carries returned sears mattresses for $300.
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:57 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threegaleh View Post
The mattresses in the trailers are the cheapest I have ever seen. Considering the price of trailers it's about time they upgraded them. Our trailer we bought used and the first thing we did was throw out the mattresses and had new ones made for the bunks, $300 for the 3/4 bottom and single top, they are 6in. thick, customer made to fit. And we bought a good queen mattress at a place that carries returned sears mattresses for $300.
The mattresses they are talking about, are hybrid mattresses which are folded in half.
So your normal mattresses won't work in a hybrid.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #9

We purchased 4" memory foam toppers for all three of our bunks as well. BEST investment for this trailer ever! I think I sleep better on these than on my own bed at my house! :-) Btw, we just put the toppers on top of the mattresses. They are too comfy not to! Then I just put the sheets around the topper.

Btw, if you ever plan on using the couch for a bed get something for that as well. We used it last weekend for the first time (both of my boys had friends and one of the friends is too big to share a bunk...literally, he's so tall he sleeps sideways to fit... so we used all the bed spaces this trip) and my son said it was hard as a rock. I layed on it, and it is. So we I have an old king sized egg crate at our house. I've folded it in half and tried that and it works great. So, the next time we go and I know we'll need the couch I'm packing that too.
Boojca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Why did you put it under the mattress? I have an inquiring mind.
When we got the topper, it was in the late fall. I put it under the mattress so we could utilize the heated mattress. It was so comfortable I just left it there.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:22 AM   #11
Racin

we added a queen size air mattress we put it on top off the thin mattress that came with our hybrid
Old 08-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #12

Quote:
I love my hybrid. After upgrading from a pup, I'm really enjoying the hybrid and its amenities. But like i did when I owned a pup... there are a few things I'd like to change...

3.) Wifi service at most campgrounds is really bad... I know put the phone down... but with my work, I cannot and need access. So I'm looking at the WIFI Camp Pro long range WIFI repeater kit. The reviews are pretty good, setup is pretty basic, and it won't break the bank.

Anyone use a WIFI setup in their rigs?
I just ordered a WIFI Camp Pro kit... LET THE MODS BEGIN!!!
Old 08-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #13

The WIFI Camp Pro kit has arrived. Just looking at the products, it seems like a well built unit. I hope to install it over the weekend....

Plans are to attach the antenna to the batwing TV antenna, and run the ethernet cable through the refrigerator roof vent. I want to install the brains of the system on the wall near the entertainment center. This will give me access to a 110 outlet to power the unit. I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 08-10-2017, 07:17 AM   #14

Quote:
I'm planning on mounting the Omni-Directional Outdoor Antenna to my batwing TV antenna. When I raise the antenna the WIFI antenna will be at the highest point hopefully giving me the best possible chance of receiving and sending the WIFI signal.
the campgrounds that I go to usually have trees between me and the CG wifi... wifi signals do not penetrate leaves very well. I found upgrading my cellular data plan to give me wifi thru my iphone worked the best...

The antenna works great if your parked in the open, but so many wifi signals are encrypted that it has turned out to be mostly worthless.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
the campgrounds that I go to usually have trees between me and the CG wifi... wifi signals do not penetrate leaves very well. I found upgrading my cellular data plan to give me wifi thru my iphone worked the best...

The antenna works great if your parked in the open, but so many wifi signals are encrypted that it has turned out to be mostly worthless.
I was thinking that might be a problem... oh well... this wifi system was not a huge investment... ($125.00) so we'll give it a try...
Old 08-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #16

Quote:

I ordered a 2" memory foam topper (INNX 2 inch Ultra Soft HOME/RV/Travel Trailer/CAMPER Memory Foam Mattress Topper). I purchased his one as it's in a removable cover. Not sure if I really needed that, I just preferred it over the others. We're headed out to Stone Wall Jackson Resort this weekend so I'll be able to give a report on the topper.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #17

We'll we just returned from another weekend trip. I added a 2" memory foam topper in the RV queen size... perfect fit. Made a huge difference. The bed is really comortable. We slept like babies...

I also purchased a Camp Pro WIFI system. I haven't permanetly installed the system as I wanted to try it before final install. The system works as intended and designed. The one issue is that a slow WIFI will always be slow no matter how you connect to it... without it I saw one wifi, with it I saw 15 different WIFI systems... again if it's a slower wifi they're nothing you can do to speed it up. I just decided to slow down, as I'm camping... so I was very happy with the unit. Next to install it permanetly.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #18

I'm holding off till winter on the Mod to connect the grill to the on board propane. The last two trips I've barely used my grill. We've used the campfire for cooking more, and even started using an electric griddle. I used to use the grill as the main source of heat for everything, but the griddle is my goto item now. It gets hot quickly, easy cleanup, and easy storage.

Plus we're trying different things... crock pot meals, so simple... just throw everything in and let it cook all day.... meals prepped prior to camping, that just need warmed up... We even had potato pancakes for dinner one evening... and as a kicker, we used the waffle iron to cook them on... Just trying to step out of the usual comfort zone... the only problem in now since we are trying to eat different meal, we take toooo much food. Oh well... the fridge and freezer work great, so I have no problem lugging it back home...
Old 10-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #19

For the grill...I use the crappy one that came with the unit...made a side draw to mount it on, and then add a 2burner camp chef from cabellas...look in my profile at the mods...camped quite a bit this summer and it's all holding up nicely.
slider in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #20

Quote:
I'm holding off till winter on the Mod to connect the grill to the on board propane. The last two trips I've barely used my grill. We've used the campfire for cooking more, and even started using an electric griddle. I used to use the grill as the main source of heat for everything, but the griddle is my goto item now. It gets hot quickly, easy cleanup, and easy storage.

Plus we're trying different things... crock pot meals, so simple... just throw everything in and let it cook all day.... meals prepped prior to camping, that just need warmed up... We even had potato pancakes for dinner one evening... and as a kicker, we used the waffle iron to cook them on... Just trying to step out of the usual comfort zone... the only problem in now since we are trying to eat different meal, we take toooo much food. Oh well... the fridge and freezer work great, so I have no problem lugging it back home...
One note to you on this, be sure to change the regulator on your grill. I changed mine from the one that came with the camper grill and am now using it on my Way. Works great 👍
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping