Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
Newb

Thoughts on covering?

Do you or don't you? I know with pop-ups, many manufacturers didn't recommend it. I have a 17' Roo, we just picked it up on Tuesday. And we live in Maryland - gets cold, gets some snow, but not tons.
PattiPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #2

we have a Hybrid and covered last year, no problems. we plan to cover this year also. we still need to cover grills on water heater, refrig and furnace and set out some mouse traps. we already winterized water system

we have a TT that we store and the storage area wont let us cover it.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
we have a TT that we store and the storage area wont let us cover it.
That's interesting. Wonder why? Some sort of security issue?

Anyway, I park mine in the yard and if I had a cover I'd use it. That is a real breathable cover and not just a blue tarp.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiPatti View Post
Do you or don't you? I know with pop-ups, many manufacturers didn't recommend it. I have a 17' Roo, we just picked it up on Tuesday. And we live in Maryland - gets cold, gets some snow, but not tons.
i've never heard recommendations about not covering popups.
i wish i'd gotten a good cover for my old Viking popup. it would have saved a lot of caulk damage and leakage. i tried a blue tarp but it didn't breathe and caused mildew.

i live in California, so i don't worry about ice or snow. i cover my Roo because of rain and sun. the sun does damage to roofs, seals and caulking, especially out here.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #5

The main thing is to tie your cover down securely. Otherwise the wind will cause the cover to rub against your camper and cause chafing. Also make sure it is breathable (also leave a vent open a little so you won't get condensation. (the sun hits the cold surface and causes a lot of moisture)
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Newb

Thanks, all. Seems like Adco is the most popular brand when I do a search. Any reviews to share?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #7

I have used the Adco covers on my current and last trailer. I believe they have a 2 year warranty.... They do only seem to last about 2 years in the FL sun, but it is well worth the investment, even replacing it every 2 years. I will add that at the 2 year mark we contacted them about some tears and just fragility of the cover ... they replaced it. So, no complaints there.

I think covering is well worth the effort and the benefit to me is how nice it keeps things inside and out.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #8

I thought about a cover for my new RV, but reading the negatives, especially the rubbing on the sides, kind of turned me the other way. We have a seasonal spot, and were 3 hours away, so checking on it wouldn't be that easy.
What are these things like to put on? A pain? Easy? I have put on boat covers, and can be fun when you have it backwards. It must be a two person job I assume? One on the roof one on the ground?
I am in the Far north and no one in our camp covers. I have noticed a lot of fading on some campers, and just hate the thought of my new Sandpiper fading.
The jury is still out on this for me.
Highwayman
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Newb

We did end up covering it, and i just saw last weekend that there was a small tear where it hits the corner of the camper. Hmmm. Think i will contact Adco - i hope i still have the receipt somewhere.

It was pretty easy to get on - DH up on the roof and some minor adjusting to get it straight. There were straps that went under to hold it in place, and then some ties in the front. There's a zipper, too, so we could get in there if we needed. I'm ready to take it off, tho, and get set up and organized - our first trip is in 2 weeks! Yay!
F-350 (V-10) to tow
2010 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8317RKSS
Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
CampeRooo

I have a buddy who covers his RV every year and he says that each summer that he pulls it off, it has a tear in it. For the price of those covers, I couldn't justify it myself. So I bought a large silver tarp from harbor freight tools and used it to cover the top and there was enough overlap to cover the front bunk and sides to just below the window lines. It has worked really well so far and for 20 bucks...i'd rather replace it every year then one of those other covers. My biggest concern was for water/snow to pile up on the roof and sit there and cause puddles, but with the way this tarp sits on my ac unit (which also has a cover), the puddles run off the camper quiet nicely. I just hope that the front bunk seal of my roo was already replaced. I read some of the Roo's prior to 2006 had an old seal system on it that caused water to run into the seal and never drain out. no bueno. I'm gonna open her up today, so i'll know if i need to order the seal kit or not. Good luck!

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiPatti View Post
We did end up covering it, and i just saw last weekend that there was a small tear where it hits the corner of the camper. Hmmm. Think i will contact Adco - i hope i still have the receipt somewhere.

It was pretty easy to get on - DH up on the roof and some minor adjusting to get it straight. There were straps that went under to hold it in place, and then some ties in the front. There's a zipper, too, so we could get in there if we needed. I'm ready to take it off, tho, and get set up and organized - our first trip is in 2 weeks! Yay!
it's advisable to pad the sharp corner areas of the trailer before putting on a cover. some use foam noodles cut to fit.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
Newb

Ah, simple and brilliant. Now i know. Thanks!
F-350 (V-10) to tow
2010 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8317RKSS