Old 05-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #1

Thoughts on downsizing to a Roo

Never started a thread so bear with me a bit but...
We have a Heritage Glen 312qbud currently and are considering downsizing to a Roo 233ss. Most all the posts I see are people going up from a pup to the Roo & they are very happy so I thought I would see if see if anyone who has downsized has any regrets?
Thanks for any thoughts you have!

Oops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Most hybrid owners are former popup owners and know the pros and cons of hybrids.

My advice:
If you've never owned a popup, DON'T buy a hybrid.

I've seen too many(who never owned a popup)who have sold their hybrid after one season.

They bought one for the added sleeping space but weren't in love with sleeping under canvas.
The added maintenance, lack of noise insulation, dealing with temp control, wet canvas and the added setup were never considered in their decision.

Those of us who love hybrids, buy them for the added amenities but want to keep the romance of sleeping under canvas. We are willing to deal with the few negatives.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #3

We went from a Tent that we used for 1 Trip,to a ROO! We felt "Upgraded" and had lots of Wonderful trips! We just decided for Longer Trips."2-3 Months" that More AREA was needed! We could NOT go smaller or Larger Now! Youroo!!
Old 05-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #4

im a go big guy. 14, 27, 33, 35, and now 43 with 5 slides. all that in 8 years. Maybe Ill go the other way down the road.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Most hybrid owners are former popup owners and know the pros and cons of hybrids.

My advice:

I've seen too many(who never owned a popup)who have sold their hybrid after one season.

They bought one for the added sleeping space but weren't in love with sleeping under canvas.
The added maintenance, lack of noise insulation, dealing with temp control, wet canvas and the added setup were never considered in their decision.

Those of us who love hybrids, buy them for the added amenities but want to keep the romance of sleeping under canvas. We are willing to deal with the few negatives.
What he said!

I'll add that if you're sleeping as a couple, be prepared for one to have to crawl over the other to get in/out of the bunk. If you're "of a certain age," that could be several times a night.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

My advice:

I am heavily biased and say "Do it! Do it!" but truthfully I agree with the above.

What I can add about a 233. We had a popup that was totaled in a storm. Went back to tent camping for several years. My old age couldn't stand it anymore, so we bought a hybrid. Why, couldn't really find anything else that sleeps 10 easily, yet tows like a 25 ft trailer. Sleeping under canvas doesn't bother us at all but I can say it does make a great difference in temperature control inside which also doesn't bother us but is something to consider. DW and I do like the option that when we are out without the kids and family, we leave 2 of the bunks folded up. We also camp in lesser developed campgrounds that might have less than 30 ft spots or forest service boondocking so the size of the 233 is perfect.

Coming from popups and tents, we are living in the lap of luxury. From the palace you are downsizing from you may feel a hybrid is a step up from a 1850's covered wagon. As long as you fully understand the short comings of a hybrid, go for it. Otherwise, downsize to a smaller hard side.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #7

We’ve had everything except for a 5er.

Had a 31-foot quad bunk super slide TT.
Had a 36-foot diesel pusher RV.
Had a pop-up with a dinette slide.
Have our current 21SS.

My wife says it is current her favorite of everything we’ve had and I generally agree. My only hesitation is that we can’t really winter camp with it like we did with our 31-foot TT and the RV. Other than that, it’s great and we enjoy the sleeping experience in the pop-ups and our 21SS much more than anything else because we feel more like we’re camping and part of the outdoors instead of isolated.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #8

Thanks for all the tips! We started in a pup so we’re pretty familiar with canvas etc. however bikerdan I believe we use the word romance differently - seems to me romance was a real challenge in the pup lol. In the end there are a lot of benefits to the hybrids and I miss the sounds but there are benefits to dragging a house behind you too. I was just looking for something that we weren’t considering... I reckon this next one certainly isn’t our 1st one and it won’t be the last. Might as well just enjoy all of them! Thanks again!
Oops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
Site Team

Well, go sit in a hybrid that's opened up and see how it feels.
We have a 27' couples TT now.
Our 24' Roo was way more open and we miss the tents.
But we're retired now and a TT fits our 3 month trips better.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:04 PM   #10

We've had our SV233T for 11 years and still enjoy it. We like the floor plan very much and when it is opened up we really enjoy it. Like most we upgraded from a Coleman Utah PUP and were thrilled. Sure, we had some problems which I was able to fix but overall it's been a great trailer. It is only now we are thinking about moving onto a non hybrid. Only because setting up the bunks are getting more difficult as we get older. I truly enjoy the tent ends once they are setup and there isn't anything else that feels that way. However until we do we will continue to enjoy our SV233T. BTW, we have used PUG'S since we had the trailer and the tent ends are still like new.

JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo