Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #1

Unhappy Tipout is rotten

Hello everyone we just purchased our trailer last week and it is our first trailer. I think we got suckered in to buying something we thought was in decent shape. We bought a 2008 19' Rookwood Roo Hybrid and this weekend noticed a tear in the vinyl coating under the mattress on the inside of the front tip out. Upon further investigation I found that the wood is rotted. I was wondering if there is a way to replace the wood in the tip out. Thanks for your help.
tominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train

There is a thread here on a guy who rebuilt his door. I will try and find it. If your local dealer is great, like mine (Rousseau's RV, Lakeville, MA), they will order you a door, have it drop shipped in a camper being delivered (saves hundreds in trucking it), and install it. I had my last roo done, although it wasn't that bad, and it cost me less than $700 (may have been less than $600, but this brain is losing it's storage capacity)
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #3

My Hybrid that I no longer own had the same issue. I removed all the rot sealed it with paint, and replaced luon and cut a piece of PVC panel to size of door and screwed it into the metal frame. Perfect fix
scottjstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

I have the same problem with my 2011 roo 19. I called and got a price. the whole frt bunk door is $330 plus 40 crate fee plus shipping. you can also just get the insert (reuse the frame) for $210 plus 25 crate fee and plus shipping.
I am trying to decide which way i want to go. not sure how hard it would be to replace the insert.
the whole door does come with a new hinge and the transition black rubber seal on the inside.

I was thinking if i get the whole door i can rebuild the other door and have it ready if it ever happens again. and maybe make it stronger.
decisions.
Camp Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #5

I have the same problem with our 2001 Shamrock until I decide how to permanently fix I cut out subfloor and lay it under the mattress to disperse the weight for now. Ours is rotting out in the middle bottom part of door but no where else, I believe we have rectified the source of water now.
Cosshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #6

Good luck. Keep us posted.

I wonder what tominator has done since last September
Old 06-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #7

Well I decided to go with new doors instead of trying to rebuild them myself. Plus my dealer will warranty the work against leaks for 1year that in itself is worth the price for me. I am looking at about $400 for each door installed.
Cosshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #8

I have not done anything with the tipouts yet! I was working on the floor and repairing some spongey spots! Not liking this Rotwood Roo!!
tominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #9

We have a 2007 Roo 23SS and ordered 2 new bunk end doors and installed them ourselves. We rented a u-haul open trailer and drove from Indy to Elkhart in a few hours. It was an interesting experience watching the Amish community assembling the campers.
broland419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #10

Git-Rot

There is this stuff availabe at a marine store called Git-Rot. It's not cheap but it works on rotting wood like a charm. Iv'e used it a couple times on rotting boat hulls.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #11

The doors do not have the decals so hat is something you have to purchase separately and put on. They also have the hinges mounted but the holes don't match up in the camper so a little adjustment is required. They are cumbersome and will take 4 people to hold them in place keeping them level while driving the screws in.
broland419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
There is this stuff availabe at a marine store called Git-Rot. It's not cheap but it works on rotting wood like a charm. Iv'e used it a couple times on rotting boat hulls.
X2 on the Git-Rot. I've used it to repair kitchen cabinets that got wet and swole up. Sanded them back even, poured Git-Rot on them and resanded after it dried. After a new coat of paint, they look like new. The stuff is nothing more than thinned epoxy resin that will seep into the porous wood and harden. It works!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Those of you suggesting Git Rot, do you what a hybrid bunk door looks like?
There's not enough wood in them to make it worth using Git Rot.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote