Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #1

Tv connection

Friends of mine have a hybrid passport ultra lite they are not able to receive any signal. Antenna is up but was wondering if the antenna as movable
surfdogg65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran RV Owner

Did they turn on the signal boaster (red button on the wall by the cable jack)? Your off air antenna may not be movable. If there isn't a turn handle on the ceiling inside the RV, the antenna does not move.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #3

Another thought, did they make sure input was set to tv and not cable and go into the tv's set up menu and scan for channels?
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #4

I second the signal booster. Little push button usually behind the TV. LED lights when it is on.
RooBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooBert View Post
I second the signal booster. Little push button usually behind the TV. LED lights when it is on.
Or on the cover plate of the antenna lead jack. That's where mine is.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #6

My antenna in a similar TT is a fixed, non-steerable omnidirectional antenna (receives equally poorly in all directions). To troubleshoot, and not to assume your friend doesn't know all this:

Trace the cable from the back of the TV to where it connects into the wall. It should go to a connector labeled "TV" or "Antenna," and not satellite. Mine also has a short jumper cable that allow the user to select another source to route to the antenna connector. The pathway should make sense, from antenna to TV.

Turn on the TV, press the Menu button on the remote to select "Input" or "Source" to "Antenna." There may be a dedicated button that does this.

From the Menu, there should be a "Scan for channels" option. When I first used my RV's TV, the last time I had used an antenna was way back in the analog days when we had discreet channels to select. If one has not used over-the-air digital TV, this may not be obvious. As Wiscampin said, you have to scan for (digital, antenna) channels every time you move to a new location to find what is there. The channel scan may take 10-20 minutes. When it's done, you will probably get an on-screen message telling how many digital signals were found.

BUT, if one is in an area distant from TV stations, that &@$#% omni antenna may not find a single channel. That has happened to me.