Old 03-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
I would use some vinegar on it at least twice! Bleach does not and will not kill the mold spores. If you are only using a bleach solution the mold will return. It has been proven time and time again and is even stated in most building codes now. Bleach only removes the stain of the mold and makes it appear to be gone.

MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #12
That stuff is likely mildew and there are various mildew cleaners on the market. Bleach is an oxidizer and it will "eat" at the stitching over routine use. Herk suggest a vinegar and water mix for mildew and that is more friendly to the material and stitching than bleach is. I also use Amazon's green mildew remover for both my boat vinyl and camper fabrics to remove the mildew and stains it causes. Bleach bad...vinegar or Amazons good....

Bob, Tonya and the kids
11 Rockwood Roo 233S
08 Grady White Seafarer 228
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
I got some stuff from Costco to take care of mold and mildew on the garden fence. It's called "Wet and Forget" and that what you do. It mixes one part ot 5 parts water and I used a tank sprayer on the fence. I've also used it in a plastic spray bottle to kill mold on the inside of a couple of window frames in the house.

The section of fence I did a year ago is still free of mold and mildew. It this climate, that's close to miraculous!
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou
Curious what the active ingredient is...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
Hum..maybe it's acetic acid - sounds much better than vinegar.
Denis & Diane
2010 Sabre 31REDS
Ford F-250 2011
* Happy Campers *
miatared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #16
Moderators' Assistant
when i've had this issue with my hybrid and popups, it's mildew, not mold that occurs. it happens on my awning, also.

so, a mild bleach solution or mildew cleaner works fine.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #17

I looked on the label and the active ingredient is "Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride" at 9.9%.

It's made by a New Zealand company and imported by Costco.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #18
Interesting, the EPA's review documents concerning that chemical says that it can also be used as mosquito control around ponds and pools too. I wonder if that's the stuff I see them spraying around town all the time during the mosquito season. Looks like I might have to pick up a couple of these containers, not only for the canvas in the trailer, but also a hand full of other places I could use it. That makes it worth while for me....multiple uses makes it less likely to wind up on the shelf in the garage with the left over paint from 5 years ago.

If anybody is interested - Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride (ADBAC) | Pesticides | US EPA

I also found a health hazard scorecard rating for it here -

Where we've been:

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
Take The Road Less Travld
Originally Posted by skeeterbait8 View Post
Mild bleach solution is working wonders. Warm and dry here... wiping down canvas (both ends!) leaving out to dry completely. Looks like things are going to be under control.

Never did use the vinegar.
Just wanted to know how we'll this worked out for you. I have a major problem with year. I had a leak in the roof where the calk separated and leaked in my trailer over the winter leaving major stains on my canvas. I've tried a mold cleaner with no luck on the inside of the canvas but works wonders on the outside where there is not a ruff surface. There is a photo attached. Any ideas on how to clean the black mold stain off the ruff side of the canvas?

MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote