Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #1

Unhappy Uh oh, found mold on canvas

Finally made it out to inspect the Roo yesterday. Needed to clean up some stuff, move things around. One of the things I had to do was to put the mattress back on my tent end (I use an air mattress). When I opened up that end I found some mold starting on the canvas! I made some stronger than normal bleach water, got the sponge and went to work wiping everything down. I left that end open last night (no rain) so I could do it again today, and more than likely will again tomorrow.

That is the first thing that I've ever seen going wrong in the Roo.

See photos.. left corner and right corner seems to be where the most is concentrated. But there is some all the way across. Other than wiping it down with bleach and letting it completely dry is there anything else that you suggest that I do?

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You might also try to asses why it got moldy in the first place. Did it get put away wet? Is there a leak? Once you get past this problem, it would be nice not to face it again.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #3

That sucks, never a good way to start off a season.

I'm so jealous of the east coast warm up!
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Bleach works for mildew but not so much for mold. There is a thread here regards to black mold and they recommend white vinegar. I would try that.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Bleach works for mildew but not so much for mold. There is a thread here regards to black mold and they recommend white vinegar. I would try that.

Gotcha! If most of you will remember, back when we closed up for the winter I wasn't the one that did it. It has never stayed this closed up since we have had it.

NOTE TO SELF - From now on no matter what is broken MAKE sure things are done the right way!

2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
Old 03-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Site Team

what i noticed is that it's on the inside of the canvas, not the outside.
usually, bunk leaks land on the top of the canvas.

any idea how the canvas inside got damp?
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #7

The only thing I can figure is that when hubby put closed up for the winter he hadn't really let it dry good. Remember we did have it set up from Oct. 30 till Dec. 10. I'm thinking that there was some dampness at that end of my bed. Don't know, for sure but that is where it looks like it was. I didn't get to sleep on it from Nov. 27 on. Will keep an eye on it from now on, for sure. Need to let down the back bunk end to check it. I'm sure if one end has it the other has too. Grrrr

2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
Old 03-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #8

When we had our Shamrock and the canvas got mold or mildew I use to open up the tent ends and I would leave the canvas loose on the bottom and remove remove the mattress and any cushions that may get affected while cleaning the canvas (mild bleach solution or vinegar, but not both at the same time). I would lower the end I was cleaning and put a plastic sheet over the bunk end so that any cleaner or water would run out. I them would spritz the canvas with the cleaning solution (bleach or vinegar, not both) and the stains would vanish. Then you would have to rinse thoroughly. I used a hose with a nozzle and CAREFULLY rinsed the canvas and let DRY before closing the bunk ends. The cleaning was best done on a warm sunny day. Good luck! One more thing, my canvas interior was white so the bleach did not affect the fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_outside.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	4702   Click image for larger version

Name:	_queen bed.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	4703  
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #9

Mild bleach solution is working wonders. Warm and dry here... wiping down canvas (both ends!) leaving out to dry completely. Looks like things are going to be under control.

Never did use the vinegar.

2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
Old 03-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #10

In the future, I would also recommend using a moisture absorber like Dri-Z-Air. It is a kit that comes with a container that you put a refill of calcium pellets in and they absorb the excess moisture out of the air. The excess moisture then collects in the bottom of the container. We used one year round in our new trailer we bought this past year and I was amazed how much water it collected. When I put it away in storage, I actually put a second one in the trailer for the winter. You can but them at any RV dealer or places like Walmart that sell RV supplies.
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #11

I would use some vinegar on it at least twice! Bleach does not and will not kill the mold spores. If you are only using a bleach solution the mold will return. It has been proven time and time again and is even stated in most building codes now. Bleach only removes the stain of the mold and makes it appear to be gone.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #12

That stuff is likely mildew and there are various mildew cleaners on the market. Bleach is an oxidizer and it will "eat" at the stitching over routine use. Herk suggest a vinegar and water mix for mildew and that is more friendly to the material and stitching than bleach is. I also use Amazon's green mildew remover for both my boat vinyl and camper fabrics to remove the mildew and stains it causes. Bleach bad...vinegar or Amazons good....
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
Anacortesians

I got some stuff from Costco to take care of mold and mildew on the garden fence. It's called "Wet and Forget" and that what you do. It mixes one part ot 5 parts water and I used a tank sprayer on the fence. I've also used it in a plastic spray bottle to kill mold on the inside of a couple of window frames in the house.

The section of fence I did a year ago is still free of mold and mildew. It this climate, that's close to miraculous!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Curious what the active ingredient is...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #15

Hum..maybe it's acetic acid - sounds much better than vinegar.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
Site Team

when i've had this issue with my hybrid and popups, it's mildew, not mold that occurs. it happens on my awning, also.

so, a mild bleach solution or mildew cleaner works fine.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #17
Anacortesians

Lou:

I looked on the label and the active ingredient is "Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride" at 9.9%.

It's made by a New Zealand company and imported by Costco.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #18
CampeRooo

Interesting, the EPA's review documents concerning that chemical says that it can also be used as mosquito control around ponds and pools too. I wonder if that's the stuff I see them spraying around town all the time during the mosquito season. Looks like I might have to pick up a couple of these containers, not only for the canvas in the trailer, but also a hand full of other places I could use it. That makes it worth while for me....multiple uses makes it less likely to wind up on the shelf in the garage with the left over paint from 5 years ago.

If anybody is interested - Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride (ADBAC) | Pesticides | US EPA

I also found a health hazard scorecard rating for it here - http://scorecard.goodguide.com/chemi...e_id=8001-54-5

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbait8 View Post
Mild bleach solution is working wonders. Warm and dry here... wiping down canvas (both ends!) leaving out to dry completely. Looks like things are going to be under control.

Never did use the vinegar.
Just wanted to know how we'll this worked out for you. I have a major problem with year. I had a leak in the roof where the calk separated and leaked in my trailer over the winter leaving major stains on my canvas. I've tried a mold cleaner with no luck on the inside of the canvas but works wonders on the outside where there is not a ruff surface. There is a photo attached. Any ideas on how to clean the black mold stain off the ruff side of the canvas?
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote