Old 10-18-2016, 06:28 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the replies.

For those suggesting to go for something bigger, our main issue is that we need three sleeping areas. My husband is an epic snorer, and having him only a few feet from my head is disastrous - I can't get any sleep. So we need to sleep separately. While my daughter is only 4 now, so we could share, I'm trying to think ahead that she will want her own space at some point. The TTs I'm seeing really don't allow for the configuration we need. My DH wouldn't be thrilled to be crammed into a bunk bed, and I don't want to put down the table every night. So the 3 bed hybrid with the slide out seems ideal. Everyone gets their own sleeping area and it's all fair and equal :-). Plus if my husband sleeps in the bed behind the bathroom, we could probably rig up a heavy curtain to drown out some of the noise!

I'm glad to hear that others have upgraded rather quickly - makes me feel less crazy! I think we're going to have to run the numbers and try to convince ourselves to wait another year so it's not so much money. We could probably swing it, but it just feels so wasteful.

2016 Viking 2108st Pop up
2016 Ford Escape
sarahlizz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:54 PM   #12

If you have something that is inconvenient or doesn't meet your needs, you won't use it. Also wasteful.

2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlizz3 View Post

I'm glad to hear that others have upgraded rather quickly - makes me feel less crazy! I think we're going to have to run the numbers and try to convince ourselves to wait another year so it's not so much money. We could probably swing it, but it just feels so wasteful.
Sarahliz223 There is nothing that says you have to buy new and spend a ton of money. Why not go with something bigger, but that is slightly used but tenderly taken care of. There many great rigs out there just crying for a family new to RVing to buy them. On the plus side you can either trade in your current rig before it get older an worth less or sell it outright. Then later after learning what you like and don't like upgrade to a new rig. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #14

Gonna throw out another possibility for you. We used to be able to set up camp with our pup in about a half hour, but my wife is very organized (not implying you're not) and after several re dos, came up with good plans. We had several large plastic totes we either kept loaded or loaded day of departure. Also had big fold down table we kept under the awning. Kept dry food box on it.
Also , look on Pinterest or other websites. I know...hard to believe some old dude would recommend Pinterest, but my wife has found many camping forums and tips there.
I realize this won't help the snoring issue but might help with the clutter.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #15
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlizz3 View Post

For those suggesting to go for something bigger, our main issue is that we need three sleeping areas. My husband is an epic snorer, and having him only a few feet from my head is disastrous - I can't get any sleep. So we need to sleep separately. While my daughter is only 4 now, so we could share, I'm trying to think ahead that she will want her own space at some point. The TTs I'm seeing really don't allow for the configuration we need. My DH wouldn't be thrilled to be crammed into a bunk bed, and I don't want to put down the table every night. So the 3 bed hybrid with the slide out seems ideal. Everyone gets their own sleeping area and it's all fair and equal :-). Plus if my husband sleeps in the bed behind the bathroom, we could probably rig up a heavy curtain to drown out some of the noise!

3 Trailers in 2 Years, I hope we are done!

Here is our story.

As for wasteful in the money department a quote I always keep in the back of my mind is "you can't put a price on family memories"

hope that helps,
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #16

Well, its been said many many times to buy your 2nd camper 1st. We spent over 20 years in popups, went to a hybrid in part due to a grandchild on the way(now a 5 YO)....Loved it...but even though it was longer with better storage...there was less room/floor space then our Pu'p. 2 years later we moved to another HTT about the same size, but layout and slide made a huge difference. We decided very shortly after getting the 1st to look for the 2nd, and research/looking at every hybrid we could find began, both online and in person.
In the mean time we camped.....
What type trips do you do? 2 one week trips a year VS 19 weekend trips (us so far)The Hybrid shines on short trips, and in part its why we camp more often now, and we were good setting up the Pu'p.
Research www.popupportal.com Tons of info and ideas on both type campers.
The amount of time you spend setting up and organizing will both improve and quicken the end results regardless of what camper you have.

The snoring....well....but him outside in the old tent????

Nights camped 2016..... not enough
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #17
Site Team

For you I think it will all be about floor space.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #18

You're not going to get much "insulation" from the snoring in a hybrid. I know that Palomino has a new Puma TT bunkhouse floorplan that offers a queen bed option in the bunk room. You'd also have a queen up front. And, you'd still have the table and sofa that would make beds. 3 areas separated by doors rather than curtains. Wish they'd had that floorplan when I bought my current Puma bunkhouse. You will need an F250, but the cost between that and the F150, if you go with gas rather than diesel, is minimal. Here is a link to one at RVWholesalers. I've been doing business with them for years- great folks and great prices, btw.

2017 Puma 32RBFQ Travel Trailer by Palomino Stock# 064811 Inventory - The Original RVWholesalers
Old 11-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #19

I'm assuming that you already deal (and is ok) with the snoring problem and canvas (tents / pop up) so the only thing I would call your attention too is that Hybrids are for people that like the canvas thing.
If you still like that, they are perfect for you.

Another option is to buy a 23IKSS and have your husband on the rear bed, with you and your kid on the front bed and the dogs on the couch....

Now, if you are not trilled by the canvas thing anymore, for the price (and weight) of a rockwood Hybrid you can buy a Passport 2920BH, for example, that has plenty of room and your husband on the front bedroom would be separated from everybody by real doors.

As for the TV:
The price of a F250 gas is just a little bit above an F150 but it can tow and carry a lot.

Just food for thought.
Nights camped in 2016 - 22
Miles rode in 2016 - 6001
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #20

Sarah, I think you'll be happy with the 233. All the 23xx's are kind of heavy but it looks like you're well on your way to the right decision of replacing your tow vehicle. Since it appears you like to lease, TV for future trailers shouldn't be an issue. You've hit on the natural progression for rv'ers. Though some may skip some of the middle guys and jump right to motorhomes. For setup times, I think it takes longer to setup a hybrid than a pup. You can carry more stuff.