Old 10-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Upgrading Question

After many years of tent camping, my husband and I bought a pop up (new, but last model year discount). It's so much better than a tent, but we are not realizing that it's not really what we wanted for the long run.

The pop up is much faster to set up than a tent, but I hate how cramped everyone is in it (2 adults, 1 very active 4 year old, and 2 fifty pound dogs). Once we are all in there, no one can move in any direction. Also, there is no where to put anything once we are there and it's always a mess of bags and bins. So, we're looking at hybrids, (particularly the Roo or Shamrock 233s).

My question is: is it crazy to upgrade so soon? Has anyone else upgraded within a year of purchasing a camper? Are we better off sucking it up with the pop-up and waiting another year or two? Or will the continued depreciation make it not really matter?

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated!

2016 Viking 2108st Pop up
2016 Ford Escape
sarahlizz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #2

Yes, you will take a hit financially, but because of the difference in price between a pup and a hybrid, it will still probably be doable. Bigger question is ...will you also have to upgrade your tow vehicle? Potentially a much bigger expense. Might want to post your tv specs so the weight police here can advise.
In all reality, a 233s should be pulled by a half ton pickup or body on frame suv like a Tahoe or Durango.

2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #3

Checked your profile and saw "Ford Escape". A 233s is too much for it. Hope you have something else in your garage.
2013 Ram 1500
Old 10-17-2016, 03:38 PM   #4

My husband's lease is up in January, and we were going to a truck regardless. We were looking at an F150. So, that wouldn't be an additional expense (as in it's already in the budget).

2016 Ford Escape
Old 10-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #5

Way to plan ahead. All too many people buy the camper thinking their current tv will handle it, then get the bad news later.
About the camper, we went the same route as you. Tent, pup, hybrid. Not two in the same year tho. Our 23ikss is great. Wish we had it or the233s when the kids were young. But it's still good now when grandkids tag along.
2013 Ram 1500
Old 10-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #6

Yeah, we definitely want to upgrade at some point, so we figure we should get a truck that can pull most anything we'd want. Plus, my husband just really wants a truck :-)

2016 Ford Escape
Old 10-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #7

My DW and I recently went through this exact experience. We purchased our pup back in January, but after out second trip, we realized we needed something with more room, and easier to set up. We took the hit, and upgraded to a 2017 Roo 21ss in July. Even though we took a bit of a hit in the deal, we're happy with our decision, and I know we'll get more use from the Roo than we would have with the pup.

2017 Rockwood Roo 21ss
2016 Ford F-150 3.5EB
Old 10-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlizz3 View Post
Yeah, we definitely want to upgrade at some point, so we figure we should get a truck that can pull most anything we'd want. Plus, my husband just really wants a truck :-)
Check the towing specs on the half ton you are interested in. Some half tons just don't have that much tow capability, so down the road WHEN you want to upgarde to a bigger TT, you are again looking at another purchase. I'd recommend a three quarter ton.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlizz3 View Post
My husband's lease is up in January, and we were going to a truck regardless. We were looking at an F150. So, that wouldn't be an additional expense (as in it's already in the budget).
First no, it is NOT unusual to upgrade - even after a couple years. We are poster children for that:

Tents->PopUp->Travel Trailer->5th Wheel->Motorhome

In your case, you may want to skip right to the 5th wheel (if the budget allows). Our Rockwood was a great pull behind and at your family stage, will most likely last many years. The one I have in mind is this one:

Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite Fifth Wheels / Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

And, assuming you are Getting the F150 EcoBoost with a tow package, you will be well within you GVWR
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #10

Think ahead, think ahead... we went from a 19' Apex TT to a 30' Rockwood TT to a 37' Cedar Creek Silverback 5th wheel which drove us from a Toyota Highlander to an F150 ecoboost to an F250 diesel.. LOL... all in about 3 years.. ouch

Go for it.. you will create a lot of memories for you and your child....

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote