Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
indybp57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 334
Velcro for PUGS won't stick.

I have the velcro PUGS for my Roo. I bought a good quality 3M brand hook side of the velcro on self adhesive tape. It seems to stick well when I apply it but after the bunk door sits closed up for awhile and I open it I find the tape has puckered and is coming loose. . Also it doesn't stick very well at the ends and comes off when i try to remove the PUG. I've cleaned the surface that I'm taping to with rubbing alcohol but it doesn't help. Any suggestions?

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
2013 Roo 183
Miles Driven/Nights Camped:
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jimandchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 613
Hi. Not sure what the problem may be, may have to try a different brand. I used the Velcro brand industrial strength adhesive 2" wide hook side. It's still in the same place after a couple of summers usage. I also used rubbing alcohol and let it set for 24 hours before using. I'm assuming that your Roo is similar to ours and the hook sided Velcro is in the same spot as the attached photo shows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1470166345868.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	116127  
__________________

__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 281RLDSLE
2018 2500 HD Silverado
Equal-i-zer Hitch E4
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
indybp57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
Hi. Not sure what the problem may be, may have to try a different brand. I used the Velcro brand industrial strength adhesive 2" wide hook side. It's still in the same place after a couple of summers usage. I also used rubbing alcohol and let it set for 24 hours before using. I'm assuming that your Roo is similar to ours and the hook sided Velcro is in the same spot as the attached photo shows.
Mines exactly like yours. I ran the strip the full width of the bunk. I think mines only 1". I stand corrected i used Velcro brand also.

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk
__________________
2013 Roo 183
Miles Driven/Nights Camped:
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #4
Member
 
ROCAMPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
I have the velcro PUGS for my Roo. I bought a good quality 3M brand hook side of the velcro on self adhesive tape. It seems to stick well when I apply it but after the bunk door sits closed up for awhile and I open it I find the tape has puckered and is coming loose. . Also it doesn't stick very well at the ends and comes off when i try to remove the PUG. I've cleaned the surface that I'm taping to with rubbing alcohol but it doesn't help. Any suggestions?

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

I'm having the exact same problem. I was planning on redoing it all on the next trip, although I'm not sure it will be any better.
ROCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
indybp57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCAMPER View Post
I'm having the exact same problem. I was planning on redoing it all on the next trip, although I'm not sure it will be any better.
I've redone mine once with same results. I think the longer strips expand and contract with temperature and work themselves off. I'm thinking of running short 2-3" pieces in the other direction, perpendicular to the pug, like stripes. Maybe 8 or so evenly spaced. Will probably do one bunk and see how it goes. I bought a 25 yard spool so may as well try to use it.

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk
__________________
2013 Roo 183
Miles Driven/Nights Camped:
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #6
Member
 
ROCAMPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 86
I was looking at some Velcro brand sticky back for auto. It has a higher temperature rating than the standard Velcro. We did notice last week if we don't fastens the cords on the pugs so tight, it didn't pull the Velcro away as much.
ROCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 2,947
I have made Velcro tape stick better by wetting around the edges with a small amount of super glue... a very small amount goes a long way. When It dries, the super glue holds the tape edges down quite well.
__________________
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” – Mark Twain



2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,725
I have never had any luck getting Velcro to stay stuck in High Temps !!!
I tried to make a bathroom skylight cover and stick up with Velcro,,, tried several times,,, when it would get hot,,, the adhesive would give up !!!
Even after I applied a good quality glue !!!
Then I put 3 coats of White paint on the outside of the skylight,,,
now the Velcro works !!!
__________________

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.