Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #1

water tanks falling out

I took my 2016 ss23 Rockwood Roo to the dealer on Tuesday to have the brackets upgraded or fixed with better then factory installed ones for the water tank . Its a big problem with many forest river products and if this happen to you or have had this problem Please go to www.safercar.gov its part of NTSB and filed a complaint and maybe someday forest river will start taking car of this problem before someone is killed following a TT because a full water tank fell out.
Paul
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
I took my 2016 ss23 Rockwood Roo to the dealer on Tuesday to have the brackets upgraded or fixed with better then factory installed ones for the water tank . Its a big problem with many forest river products and if this happen to you or have had this problem Please go to www.safercar.gov its part of NTSB and filed a complaint and maybe someday forest river will start taking car of this problem before someone is killed following a TT because a full water tank fell out.
Paul

Did it look like this?

These are the replacements.

On the left is the replacement, 1-3/4"X1-3/4"X3/16" hot rolled angle and on the right the original LCI piece. 1-1/2"X1-1/2" X 1/8" bent plate. The hot rolled will not bend.

Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #3

worse a lot worse it was very scary just a fraction of a inch from falling out. what size angle iron did you use?
Old 06-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #4

going on 4 weeks

well here it is almost 4 weeks still no part yet , forest river says parts were shipped on the 27th by ups and nothing, I should have fixed it myself
Old 06-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #5

does anyone have the phone number for forest river roockwood roo warranty dept. ? still no parts, going Monday 6-6 to get my camper and fix it myself
Old 06-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #6

What do you think dealer will do? They will slap some wooden boards across the tank bottom and call it a day.

Fix it yourself and fix it right. Warranties are pretty much worthless due to either dealer prioritizing paid work over warranty work which doesn't pay as well or manufacturer stalling on authorizing the work and shipping parts.

On one of my campers, the tack welds for the tank holding bars failed. I ended up using small cut sections of angle iron and self tapping drills to reinstall them.

My newest camper also got its coroplast liner dropped so I could reinforce welds and brackets before our first trip. Peace of mind is worth a 1/2 days work.

Good luck!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
What do you think dealer will do? They will slap some wooden boards across the tank bottom and call it a day.

Fix it yourself and fix it right. Warranties are pretty much worthless due to either dealer prioritizing paid work over warranty work which doesn't pay as well or manufacturer stalling on authorizing the work and shipping parts.

On one of my campers, the tack welds for the tank holding bars failed. I ended up using small cut sections of angle iron and self tapping drills to reinstall them.

My newest camper also got its coroplast liner dropped so I could reinforce welds and brackets before our first trip. Peace of mind is worth a 1/2 days work.

Good luck!
That's just it dealer and forest river is dong nothing so I am going for my camper on Monday and fix it myself for it will be a year old on July 3rd and that's when the warranty is up
Old 06-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
That's just it dealer and forest river is dong nothing so I am going for my camper on Monday and fix it myself for it will be a year old on July 3rd and that's when the warranty is up
The dealer is going to send a request to Rockwood, and they are going to send a request to LCI who made the frame and tank support. Then there will be a lot of him hawing back and forth with not much getting accomplished other than aggravating you to no end, while you lose the use of your rig.

It sounds like your already experiencing that?

I would go get the trailer also. LCI openly admitted to me the supports deflecting was a problem and they would cover it under their warranty. They would not tell me what the repair would involve. Clearly it would not involve replacing it with the same inadequate support would it? They continue to make those supports. When I suggested fixing it myself they clammed up and that was the end of their customer support. Theoughout the entire exchange I had a feeling like they were attempting to hide something. So in the meantime these tank supports continue to be used and sent on frames to the manufacturers. Most of the time they are hidden above underliners so people do not even see the sagging time bomb they are towing down the road. You and I are dealing with 30 and 40 gallon tanks, the same size steel in our supports is used in the LCI parts for much larger and heavier tanks.

Good luck.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #9

Well I got my camper back on Monday and forest river never sent the part the dealer ended up putting in a piece of tube steel under the bracket the day I was picking it up.

Tags
tank, water, water tank