Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
Broken Toe

Weathering another massive storm in our Hybrid

It was just a few weeks ago we got hit with a violent storm while camping. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ighlight=storm

Got hammered again on Saturday. Not a violent storm with winds and downed trees, but a monsoon with some of the hardest rainfalls I have ever lived through. We were out on the boat about a good 20 minute run from the ramp when it blew in. I have never been so wet and cold in my life. I was shaking so hard, if you handed me a cup of milk, you would have gotten back butter.

It took nearly an hour to get back and get the boat on the trailer. We almost got trapped by rushing water on the other side of the lake, but I broke my cardinal rule of driving through flowing water on the roads as I had no other option, (and I watched a smaller truck than mine go through with no issues). I was worried about the campers, but there was nothing I could do till I got back there. I expected to see awnings ripped off and other catastrophes, but everything rode out the storm in great shape. Not a drop of water entered any of the bunks on our two trailers. I don't know if we are just lucky or what, but I think the only way to have a leak in our bunks would be to submerge the campers. Our gravel driveway caught hell. I'll have to hitch the blade up to my ATV and drag it all down again. Its a rutted mess.

About an hour after we got back to our lots, security closed the main roads, so we were more or less trapped for the night. Quite a lot of damage was done to the roads, beach, and a covered boat dock with 2 boats in it broke loose and floated away. Pictures of the storm below:

Video of the boat house floating away. Just for reference that red ski boat are tied up to the community docks, which were under about a foot of water. And our lake NEVER changes levels.

https://www.facebook.com/mark.naucke...6210058083807/

Overall, I am quite impressed with the how well the bunk ends on a hybrid can do in very nasty weather. I hate how they have a reputation as a leaky PITA.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #2

Wow. That looks like an epic storm.

I am glad everyone made it back safe.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Take The Road Less Travld

Wow! Glad everyone is fine and the trailers survived! Great excuse for another days stay! Anytime I leave the trailer and will be a decent distance away, I close the awning. You got away with one!
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

One heck of a storm. We had a similar storm here Sat night also with Torrential down pours. Got 4 inches of rain in about 2 hrs. Yep you got away with one on the awning. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

And Socal hasn't seen that much rain in five years(that's total in 5 years) glad your safe. send us some.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
And Socal hasn't seen that much rain in five years(that's total in 5 years) glad your safe. send us some.
From what I am hearing. A massive El Nino is brewing in the pacific and its gonna pretty much drown you guys for the next 3 years.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #7

Yep, you guys are going to get tons of rain. The tree huggers will go nuts on it. The sane call it science. But, the media will blast the tree hugger version and barely mention the science part of why it's about to get wetter. Heck, why report the truth backed up with science, boring. "and the beat goes on" Sonny Bono.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #8

It will hang around 7 months.(not all rain) They have been preparing for it. Where i am it will just be a lot of rain. The hillsides are in trouble and they expect lots of mud slides.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Yep, you guys are going to get tons of rain. The tree huggers will go nuts on it. The sane call it science. But, the media will blast the tree hugger version and barely mention the science part of why it's about to get wetter. Heck, why report the truth backed up with science, boring. "and the beat goes on" Sonny Bono.
I am curious as to what you mean by "tree huggers"? Are you referring to those who are concerned about the environment and what man may be doing to harm it? By sane science are you referring to the 99.9 % of scientists who believe climate change is real and that man is partially to blame?
TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 HD Allison/Duramax Diesel 4WD
TT - 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2618
Texbahrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
I can't speak for Still Kickin, but when I use that term it is for the extremist that push and make rules & regulations without logic or common sense.
One example: Here at work we had a backhoe that needed work done. Some of the hydraulic fluid leaked on our gravel parking area. During a visit from one of the local environmental agencies a year later, we were wrote up because of the oil stain in the gravel. We had to dig out around the area and remove all "contaminated" soil and gravel. Then replace with new soil and gravel. This was an area about 1'-2' wide. Very little fluid hit the ground, it was just spread out from where the hoses are on the hoe. Bunch of paperwork had to be filed. Numerous repeat visits and inspections.
All this while the city has 2 parking decks and a municipal parking lot that seems to have more oil dropped from vehicles than Quaker State sells in a day. When it rains it you can see the pretty rainbow colored water running into the storm drains.

Another tree hugger gripe: I am now seeing "fuel efficient car parking" signs at businesses. These are right up front next to the handicap spots. Really? I like to park my 15mpg 4WD Hemi in those spots.
Yep - and Uncle Sam is one of the biggest offenders in the country. Look at all the closed military bases that are turned back to the local community. Most of them are so heavily contaminated with aircraft fluids that were dumped on the grounds for so many years that they can't pass the EPA guidelines without expensive soil removal etc.

In all fairness,I must add that a lot of this dumping was done before the effects of it were known. I personally remember dumping used jet engine oil in a designated spot at Carswell AFB in the 1970's.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #11
Broken Toe

I think this topic is on the verge of falling off the rails.

lets keep it civil and on topic, please

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 08-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #12

Last reply.It's raining
Old 08-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #13

Face book, "this content isn't available right now"

Video.

Those road pics remind me of what I have seen in AZ during/after a monsoon has rolled thru the Sierra Vista area.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #14

Tags
hybrid