Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #1

What Have I Bought?? Help

Hello, I'm new to the forum and look forward to getting some experience on FRF. My whirlwind summer started me out in a 14X14 tent back in June. The wife talked about getting a popup so I go out of town (Gulf Oil Spill) and she buys one...then camps without me!! So I get back and we go 3 times and I decide she's bought the wrong thing and I sell it in one day. 4 days later I'm pulling a 99 Shamrock hybrid home for a decent price. My first question is...what model do I have. Right by the door is a sticker that says 21 so I'm assuming based on some other things that this is the model (although the box is only 18 feet long). I have replace a few small things on the outside but I still have much work before my chunk of coal is a proud diamond. I have put down new floor covering. Which leads me to the next question.

As I walked in the door of the camper the first time I was shocked that the floor was not stiff. I checked everything I knew to check and when I pulled up the old covering the plywood was in acceptable condition. It seems like the floor/trailer beams are too far apart for most any type of floor in this scenario to be anything but "springy". Now I think I would know the difference in feel of a soft, and rotten floor. This is actually just a feel like your weight is bending the floor. I have read that some/most campers have laminated styrofoam. Is this correct? Unless I'm talked out of it I plan to weld two additional beams perpindicular to the current ones for more support. My other option is wedging a 2X6 between the beams.

There are plenty more questions but I'll close with this big one. The front bunk door was cracked (for lack of a better word) near the hinge and along the middle of the inside. It has popped outward (toward the trailer tongue) now so I think I either need to get a new or salvage door or let a repair shop see what they can do. I need help finding places to order a big item like this. And I've come full circle with not actually knowing what model I have so I need to know that to get a door. I can put about $1000 into the camper and feel OK but much beyond that and I'm no better off than I was with the popup.
Thanks
LuckyShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, sounds like an adventure, and welcome to the Forum. Keep asking, someone will help. Can't remember if there is a Shamrock section, but I know there is a hybrid section, so may want to post over there, as not everyone reads every post. As for a model number, check the driver's side, (when being towed) for a sticker with model number and weights. Also look in the kitchen cabinets for a weight sticker and maybe a model number. I hope others will chime in, and good luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We had a spongy floor in our old Keystone Litehouse. It came as a result of a water leak getting between the floor covering and the particle board they used. I added a 3/8 subfloor over the old flooring and it worked fine in our case. Adding to the structural integrity of the trailer will most definitely help but watch your weight with steel. Your idea of 2x6 lumber may be a better avenue to try. Just use pressure treated wood so there's a better resistance to moisture. As for the bunk door it may be better to have someone look at it with experience if only to give you a better idea of how to fix it. Good luck and to the Forums.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #4

The information panel you speak of on the drivers side is essentially unreadable. Is there anything I can do to make it readable? Some trick like chalk and paper or something unusual like that. And I can't find anything in any cabinet inside.
Thanks
Old 10-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #5

There should be a serial number stamped/etched into the frame at the tongue on the driver's side. It's usually engraved pretty deeply. I can't imagine that being unreadable, unless somebody intentionally wanted it to be that way- in which case I'd be worried about it may be stolen. Also, the title should always have a VIN# that can be tracked to get the model number. Best of luck!
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #6

The lenght includes the tongue and rear bumper.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #7

Sometimes the VIN is stamped on the A frame
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #8

Comment about the VIN leads me to this question....how do you contact the manufacturer or is that impossible? Can you just get questions answered through a local dealer?

The weight issue may be a non issue because I should still be less than 3500 pounds. Maybe that keeps it in the ultralight category?

I have a 1998 F150 4.2 V6 and right now its doing ok but I don't look forward to climbing mountains. I plan to learn and research more on the forum about towing and the right truck for the job. Even though I'm new to travel trailers and basically towing anything I can already see a fifth wheel as a great invention and I want one someday.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
Site Team

NADA lists a 1999 Flagstaff Shamrock 21 hybrid.
dry weight is 2732lbs. forget the M, it just means model.
so, with options, it probably weighs around 3100lbs. before cargo, water and propane.

so it should be called a Shamrock 21 hybrid or expandable. the 21 doesn't necessarily mean 21'. but in this case, according to NADA, it is 21' long.

1999 was the first year for FR hybrids so there's probably a few issues with it. those first years had issues with leaks.

i doubt you'll be able to buy a bunk door from FR that fits but maybe the dimensions haven't changed.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies. I have another topic but it would be directed at hybrid owners (or past owners). We camped last saturday night and the morning low was 43! The gas furnace (I thought) was not able to keep up...so I cut it off and switched to my good electric heater. The middle of the camper was about 75 and the large bunk was 61. So now we are worried about how cold it is while we are camping because the back up option is to close the bunks and make do. Here's the question, will the gas furnace suffice and down to what temperature? Or is it just easier/cheaper/and quieter to use an electric heater. What about people without hybrids....do they lean toward using electric?
Old 10-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #11
Site Team

first, do you know what Popup Gizmos are or have you done much research on RV forums about hybrids?

if your answer to both is no, then look into PUGs or solar blankets for the top of the tent ends. PUGs have been used by popup and hybrid owners for many years.

i use the generic 5x7 solar blankets, which are made of the same material as PUGs.

using either in cold or hot weather, will help retain or reflect heat, depending on the season.

as far as heater/furnace, we rarely have electric hookups so we use our furnace. on the rare occasion we have electric, we use our ceramic heater and the heated mattresses.

using the solar blankets helps the tent ends retain the heat. also, using Reflectix in the tent windows is another way of retaining heat in cold weather.

i also suggest you do some reading on the Hybrid Forum at RV.net and at Hybrid Explorer's forum.
they are a much more active hybrid site that you'll be able to find out a lot of tips and tricks specific to hybrids.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #12

Thumbs up

Thats much needed info on the PUGs....thanks

Tags
shamrock